High ping in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by xOwnage133, Apr 5, 2014.

1. xOwnage133

xOwnage133 Registered

hi,

I've got a bit of a problem with the ping in multiplayer. I've tried multiple server but it seems like everyone has a high ping ~300-400 and my ping for them is around 300-400 too while other people have a ping of ~60 for other players.

I've tried allowing rFactor 2 in my Firewall and it didn't work. So maybe I need to do some port forwarding? If so, what are the ports for the cliƫnts?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeroen Kweekel

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You are either too far away from the servers you're playing on, or your connection is introducing too much lag (or, maybe, doesn't have enough bandwidth). You'll need to give more details on your connection type.

As a client you don't need to do anything with firewalls. If data was being blocked you wouldn't be able to join/race at all.

3. xOwnage133

xOwnage133 Registered

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3419546501

Those are my results. I know upload speed isn't great but overall the ping is always good in other games.
    Let me know if you need more information.
    Thanks for the help

4. xOwnage133

xOwnage133 Registered

I just noticed something strange.

Whenever I boot up my PC, the connection is fine and everything is how it's supposed to be.
    But then I boot rFactor and close it again and suddenly the whole connection is messed up: Internet connection in general is very slow and whenever I try a speedtest after I've started rF2, it gives an extremely high ping.
    Something I wouldn't get without booting rF2

Normal test results:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3420163530

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

6. xOwnage133

xOwnage133 Registered

I just did 2 tests:
    1: Boot up my computer, join a server without a custom livery. Fine
    2: Boot up my computer, join a server with a custom livery. Fine in the beginning, ping building up more and more 'till it reaches 300 and it stays at that level for the entire time.

Test results:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3420163530

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Are you on Wi-Fi?
    It's been reported that having rFactor Launcher in back ground can mess up pings for some.
    Click Advanced Tab, then click 'Close this application after successful start of simulation'
    See if that helps.

If it's to do with skin transfer, try same tests with someones elses skin. Maybe it's just a issue with file name of your skin. Try change file name of skin to something smaller. They have broke something with skins in last build.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I had this too (don't recall ping bieng effected though, I hardly ever check but my internet would totally suck after closing rf2)

I fixed it with what DJ suggested, let it close the launcher.
    Turn off skin transfer's.

Also Set up rf2 in windowed mode (same res as monitor)
    turn of windows areo or at least disable its transparency.

and finally
    in PLR
    Inactive Sleep Time="-1"
    The default is 25ms... set that to -1 to disable.

worked wonders for me.

9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I had basically the same problem - seems it was caused by the auto updater mixing new files with old files or something to that effect.

I did a whole new install, after removing every findable trace of rFactor 2 on my PC, and it's been fine ever since.

See the thread I created when this problem occurred: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17914-Bad-Ping-When-Online-Please-Help!

Hope this helps.

10. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered