High I/O read when running rF2

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mee, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mee

Mee Registered

I noticed when I minimize rFactor 2 that the program starts to do some heavy I/O read operations:

(I/O read = 'I/O lees...' in dutch ;) )

When in the game it doesn't do this that much.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That is kind of odd. I am assuming that is total reads and not reads/sec right? If thats just total then that isn't really a lot of reading. But it's still odd that it would do more reading when rF2 is in the background than it would in the foreground. It would be interesting to run ProcMon and filter it to only show IO on rFactor2.exe to see what files it is actually reading.

3. Mee

Mee Registered

Very good suggestion! It's the vcr tempfile that is the culprit. And it has nothing to do with rFactor 2 running on the back- or foreground.

- I start rFactor 2 and join a server -> all is well, I/O reads are at about 22.000, which is normal after all the necessary files.
    - I click on Race -> I/O reads and writes are increasing, but at a modest pace. I presume it is writing the replay to the tmp file (though I am confused about what te reads are all about at this moment).
    - I press escape to go back to the pits -> the I/O reads increase to a rate that you see in the clip above (which indeed is the total I/O reads).

Those are a lot of I/O operations if you ask me. My thoughts: it is reading the tmp vcr-file to show the 20 sec replay. But that could be handled a lot more elegantly (memory?) if you ask me, especially because we are talking about kilobytes, megabytes at the most.

4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

What happens if you set the recording of replays to off?

Also there is option in player.plr file
    Code:
    Record To Memory="0" // record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)
    DJC

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I came back to this thread to post that I noticed the same behavior tonight and realized it was related to the replays. But I see you already came to the same conclusion. :)

6. Mee

Mee Registered

That's interesting, I'll try that this evening.

7. ViSo

ViSo Registered

This use the RAM memory right? just at that moment, it is limited to 32bits/3GB usage RAM, that is included in that usage right?
    That will be a nice feature with 64bits rFactor2, to save I/O operations on my SSD :)

8. Mee

Mee Registered

Much better!