Help with tyre wear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by basil_fawlty, Feb 20, 2023.

1. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

Since the GT3 update, I have noticed that my tyre wear was much higher than the AI.

Wear per lap:

Croft Circuit 25 min:
    average AI on soft tyres: 1.5 - 1.0 / 1.2 - 0.9
    me on medium tyres: 2.5 - 1.3 / 1.1 - 0.9

Botniaring 30 min:
    average AI on soft tyres: 1.5 - 1.4 / 1.3 - 1.3
    me on soft tyres: 3.1 - 2.9 / 2.0 - 1.9

Ibarra 30 min:
    average AI on soft tyres: 1.4 - 1.0 / 1.2 - 1.0
    me on medium tyres: 1.7 - 1.4 / 1.2 - 1.1

This is taking away much of the enjoyment as my grip level is a massive disadvantage towards the end of races.

Is this a common issue? Am I supposed to push less in general, or is it my bad driving style? Given how wear is higher all round, I don't think it's a setup issue (even though some of the temps suggest understeer).

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Tire wear only is not enough to understand if and where is the issue.
    For the sake of science try to reduce a bit AI skill, so that they are a bit slower, and try yourself to manage your tires instead of leaving the ai behind several seconds.
    Then see if the difference of tire wear is reduced. But remember that your car and AI car use different physics, so it's not easy to match things like tire wear.
    Another thing you can try is to reduce tire wear when setting up a race.

3. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

I have a feeling that ABS and TC may contribute a lot to tyre wear, as it was much more moderate with GTE car at VIR (could be just the track though)

I'm pretty sure however that AI tyre wear is broken. I have picked an extreme track, Portimao. With the sweeping, uphill, full throttle last corner, one would expect very high wear on left front. In 30 min on medium, my was 4.6% per lap. For AI? Average 1.6 compared to 1.2 on the right. There is no way to achieve almost even wear at Portimao!!