Help with pop up lights..

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by D1Racer, May 29, 2012.

1. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Hi all, Can anyone tell me how to make working pop up lights in rFactor2? Thanks in advance.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

what does pop-up light mean?

3. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

I'm guessing like the old cars where the headlights popped up from the bonnet?

View attachment 2613

4. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Yup exactly that..

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

IMO imposible in stright way. Maybe playing with hlglo anim would give some results (make some materials transparent etc) but it would be rather "dirty" solution, maybe causing some issues.

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Vehicle animations have been added to the game (DRS specifically), so there's no technical reason it shouldn't be possible, other than you can't assign such animations to head lights.

This is a limitation ISI should remove, and make it possible to add animations to just about whatever the modders want.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

technicaly it is possible to develop gfx engine comparable to Cry Engine 3 ;)
    I said that currently it is impossible. And will not be possible until ISI add next hardcoded feature, or provide some scripting abilities to work with game events, states etc.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

There's a button for front flap as well as rear flap, assign that to headlights. I'm sure when and why they go down can be overridden somewhere, so they don't close while braking. =)

9. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

Hopefully they can add support for pop up lights through the headlight on/off button. Although it would be possible to use the front flap for the animation, turning on the headlights without first raising the lights would result in some weird looking hovering glows :S

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

We need to pressure the devs on this one, I WANT MY RX-7!! =)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Just correct me, but doesn't DRS animation has 2 states only?
    With pop-up lights smooth animation would be required, otherwise it is better to have no such feature at all.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

No, it does move the whole range properly, it doesn't teleport into the other position. =)

EDIT: Did an additional "Just to be sure" check right now by slowing down the replay, it definitely does go smoothly through the range. I did however notice that when rewinding the replay it doesn't show the positions properly, they only change when they should when going forwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012