Help - Unable to launch Rfactor with VR setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davef, Jul 20, 2017.

1. davef

davef Registered

Hi. I'm running the beta version with my VIVE VR setup. It was working yesterday but today when I try to play I am getting the following error:

"An error occurred while updating Rfactor 2 (app running)"

In checking the Steam website I see:

This error is most commonly seen when launching a game that has closed improperly with a silent crash, or that is failing to launch properly.

Sometimes, the game may already be running under a different user account within your operating system.

I can't even uninstall the game and start over at this point and appear to be stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Does this happen even after restaring the computer? for me rf2 sometimes doesn't shutdown properly after playing. Then i have to find rf2 from taskmanager and shut it down from there.

3. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

Are you using a Logitech wheel? Logitech game profiler causes RF2 to keep running when you shut the game down. If you are indeed using Logitech wheel, removing the RF2 profile from the software will fix your problem.

4. davef

davef Registered

I am indeed using a Logitech wheel. How do I remove the RF2 profile? I can't find that under the Logitech gaming software.

Thanks!

5. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

In the gaming software, choose your profile first. Then click "Edit" tab on the top menu and click "Delete". That will delete the selected profile so the gaming software will not automatically detect and hook into the game. Works for me like a charm. Logitech software probably can not unhook itself from the game thus leaves it open.

6. yonder45

yonder45 Registered

I'm about to get a Logitech wheel as well, at least it is easy to fix when this issue occurs.

7. BluesAdam

BluesAdam Registered

I don't like Logitech drivers ever lately. Any type of integration in their softwares cause problems. I have a g300 mouse for example and if I integrate the RGB lights to video games, I get blue screen from time to time. It drove me crazy until I figured out what the problem was. So do everything manually :)

8. davef

davef Registered

Folks, I am continuing to struggle and would value any suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm new enough to VR that I don't even know what I don't know. For what it's worth. I run an endurance racing team (real cars) and we use Rfactor to train because they have a reasonable sim for one of the tracks we run at. We wanted to try VR and with the limited success we've seen it seems like it will be amazing... but I can't get it to work reliably or repeatably.

Here are my problems:

Generally when I try to start R Factor from within Steam I get an error that the application is already running or trying to start. I can generally go to the task manager and kill everything related to RFactor and Steam. Sometimes even with everything killed it will start but other times is still won't start and I have to reboot. There have been times that even after a reboot it will not come up - but other times it will so it seems inconsistent.

Beyond this, when I do get into RFactor with my VIVE working, my gaming wheel generally does not work.
    There are times when none of the controls work. Other times, pressing the throttle actuates both the accelerator and also turns the steering wheel. Othertimes nothing works.

When I go to map my wheel controls in RFactor it does not seem to work. Sometimes, it is not recogning inputs like the brake and accelerator and seems like it's map to keyboard keys. I have had situations where no matter what control I'm trying to map (wheel, brake, accelerator) Rfactor will map them all to the same input.

I have a Logitec MOMA USB wheel and have tried selecting that from the menu of available control profiles in RFactor but that has not worked.

Do I need to use the Logitec gaming software or should I uninstall this and just map controls within RFactor?

Does anyone have any other ideas on why this is behaving so weridly?

I did have it actually map successfully and run for a few laps but i had no force feedback and I was positioned outside the car on the left fender. When I restarted to try to fix the force feedback issue (by starting VR before Rfactor as others have suggested on here) the controls were messed up again.

Any suggestions????

Dave

9. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I have a G920 and have to have the LGS installed and a profile active for my wheel to work.

I get the issue with rFactor2 not loading.

The only way round it is to kill the processes in task manager relating to rFactor 2.
    It's a known issue and will be resolved at some point.

10. yonder45

yonder45 Registered

Oh thanks for the heads up.

11. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Missing controls can drive you nuts--my sympathies. On that point, I used to use an old Logitech Utility called "DI View," but I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of it when I got restarted with all this a couple weeks back. Finally found it at Leo Bodnars site (thanks Leo): http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=12

I don't know if that will help you find your own controls consistently or not, but you can only try.

It lets me tweak endpoints, deadzones, and centerpoints, and I've found the "raw" numbers to be quite useful, as my own load-cell brake is a DIY version...and the circuit-board I run it through (beta innovations) was sold to me by a company now defunct. Fortunately, Leo sells very similar boards himself, so I know where to get spares or replacements. :D

FWIW, I have never used Logitech profilers--too many mysteries and an extra layer of confusion I don't need. At least not yet....

Hope this helps.