[help request] collecting GT3 telemetries for an university project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hotak, Oct 31, 2020.

1. hotak

hotak Registered

Hi all, i study AI & robotics and am working on an AI that *should* evaluate setups without even the need to actually test them on the track, based on what it learns from data about how setup changes influence telemetries.

To do that i need a LARGE dataset of telemetries from various setups on various tracks - preferably also various cars, but for now i'm restricting it to GT3-only with a focus on the McLaren 720s as the main "setup testbench" and other cars mainly serving to help "generalizing" the learned setup concepts - and preferably also from various drivers with different skills levels, and that's why i'm asking for a bit of help here!

If you happen to do hotlap sessions to test setups, set track records, prapare for a race or whatever, i'd be very glad if you could take just a few minutes to setup your game to collect telemetries from those laps, then send me them together with the setup file that will be generated (should find both under rfactor2/LOG ) at martino.cesaratto (at) gmail.com

How should you collect telemetries?

download the DAMPlugin from here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/

No need to read the post, just install it and put the DAMPlugin.ini file i attached here http://www.mediafire.com/file/pc5vqpop5jq4u47/DAMPlugin.ini/file in rfactor2/userdata/player (this is the telemetry setup i need for my project, please don't forget this step!!)

If possible i'd prefer to get only telemetries from sessions with few cars on the track so that slipstreaming, collisions and passes are not too common, but don't worry too much about that, i'll manually sort only the "good" laps.

Also, for competitive guys who may not want to share setups or telemetries, i may look at the telemetries just to discard laps with mistakes or collisions, but won't use them directly, just feed them as a dataset to an AI to learn from them, i'm willing to sign NDAs if needed :)

A big thank you to whoever wants to help me, i promise if my project ever manages to go commercial i won't forget about you :)

EDIT: my config uses the "M" key to enable/disable telemetry, it will only save complete laps but will always start recording when you join track, you can change those things in the .ini file, but PLEASE leave everything else as i set it!

lagg and DazzyD70 like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

Wow this seems a very interesting project! Let us know if Skynet will learn to setup RF2 cars... so we can sell our souls to him :D

3. SnijdersB

SnijdersB Registered

A sim racing community I'm a member of has just started a 10 race championship and we're using the GT3's. There are 42 people competing and for the 1st race next week more then 2000 practice laps have already been done. I can ask around on there, lots of data to be collected in the next few months ;)

Comante likes this.
  4. hotak

hotak Registered

Hopefully it will at least learn about how to setup the McLaren so i can get my degree :D
    Then the real scope is to make it work on real cars using the knowledge that it got from sims.
    It would be VERY useful even to get a few of them, thanks for the proposal!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  5. SnijdersB

SnijdersB Registered

TBH I was going to choose the Cadillac to drive with but I will change to the McLaren 720 and provide the requested telemetry, the things we do for science :D and I have send the site moderator a message with a link to this thread so if/when he gives the green light I'm sure you'll be able to find a few more McLaren drivers there ;)

6. hotak

hotak Registered

Thank you!!!
    BTW no need to change the car for me if you like the Cadilac, any GT3 car's telemetry is helpful as long as i also have the setup data, it could help the neural network to better generalize what a setup change does (for example static camber is the same from car to car, but dinamically it changes depending on the car's suspension geometry).
    I already did around 1000 laps with the 720S and will keep doing more for at least a month, but doing 10+ laps per setup with different meteo conditions and time of day really takes lot more time than i planned, i only tested 3 circuits so far and didn't even test med and hard tires, that's why i decided to try to get some help on forums :)