Help needed modding s397 HUD

Discussion in 'User Interface and HUD Modding' started by Deleted member 58016, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Hello

I have been working on this topic for an hour or so by myself, but as there is nearly no documentation I gave up in a way ...

I would like to "mod" the s397 HUD so that I am keeping the MFDs, message box and delta bar, "deleting" the instruments like speedometer, RPM meter, times and so on which are at the bottom of the screen.

In a second step I would like to resize and re-position the delta bar, MFDs and message box so I can use it in VR and e.g the delta bar is located e.g. on the dash of my / a car ...

I am able to change position and size of the elements, but I do not understand if there is a way to "switch off" the speedometer e.g. or to delete it - or isn't there any way and I need to move it "out" of the screen?

As far as I understand I need to do it in "moddev" with the HUD editor and I need to have an s397hud.ini for it, right?

Or do I need to edit s397 eHUD (because I cannot open s397 HUD AFAIS)?

A lot of questions ... as always.

BTW: I came across "deltabar only" HUD in Steam workshop, but also that ones ini-file also contains a lot of parameters which are not related to deltabar only and it is not providing e.g. message box and MFDs anymore.

Regards, Dietmar

2. redapg

redapg Registered

@StoneRacing Which S397 HUD do you want to use?
    The 397eHUD (you can extract it's MAS File) or the one from DevMode, called 397HUD?
    If you want to use the DevMode 397HUD, contact me by a private Conversation.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  3. @redapg helped me a lot via private message, but I will add the results tomorrow or the in Friday - I decided to start from scratch after doing first steps with a HUD in order to understand the HUD editor in devmode.

Regards, Dietmar

Hazi likes this.
  4. It's Friday ...

I have decided to use VR HUD from Steam Workshop and to change one of its versions with HUD editor in devmode to suit my needs - it is easier as starting from scratch as most of the positions are to my liking.

Beside that I will check if I can use devmode with VR and if so I would try to start my own one as then it would be easier to position all the elements.

5. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

In HUD settings you can assign keys to turn off RPM/speed, track position bar, etc... if that's what you're looking for
    tachspeed.png

Deleted member 58016 likes this.

6. I know about this, but it is not what I am looking for - as you have a different FOV in VR than on a single or triple screen I would like to re-position the gauges a bit.

Most of the time I am using the C8.R so I am trying to position the gauges, message box etc. around the dashboard of the car - while using standard HUDs like s397 HUD I need to raise the head to have a look to deltabar e.g.

7. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

Ah ok... in VR, I understand your problem, I have teammates who use VR and it's annoying for them too.

8. I think it is quiet the same in all VR environments - I am using a Rift S, but I think e.g. message box is always lower left corner, as MFD is lower right corner and so on.

You have to move your head to read the messages - if you recognize them - same with MFD for e.g. tyre stats. It is the same with the speedometer at the bottom and so on.

To make a long story short.

I will try to make a mod to the VR HUD which is available at Steam workshop - haven't tried it until now - and if it is working for VR usage I will ask the authors permission to - at least - paste the ini file here.

9. Sunday is the new Friday ...

I managed to have kind of a starting point making all information visible in VR I like to - I am using an Oculus Rift S but decided to stick to 1920x1080 resolution within the ini file ... it is working, so ...

I could not figure out how to do a proper hudtexture.tga, so I decided to leave it blank and then I resized tach bar to 1920x1080 within HUD editor.
    This gives ability to have tach bar elements all around the visible area / screen and I just placed a few text items, re-positioned flags, message box, chat box, MFD vehicle status. Also MFD vehicle status has been resized.

Attached you'll find the ini file.

I need to figure out how to do my own hudtexture.tga with MFD background _not_ or less transparent as I decided to position the MFD vehicle status at the button box below the rear mirror screen in the C8.R (which makes it hard to read because of still seeing all the buttons).

Also text gauges are still looking a bit "behind" the dashboard ...

(I am using GIMP 2.8 btw but I am not familiar with graphics file types and design)

Hope this helps someone a bit ...

Attached Files:

10. p.s:

I think by resizing tach bar to 1920x1080 I am overwriting the other areas - so I think I need to resize tach bar to a smaller area and place it in the middle of the screen

11. Ok.

Using GIMP seems to be more complicated in a way than using Adobe Photoshop (a rather old version); while saving tga files PS offers the option "save alpha channels", while GIMP does not.

I know about the alpha channels in GIMP while painting car liveries, but I am not sure how to get the same functionality while saving the tga files as I get in PS - for the moment I will stick to PS as I was able to have background textures again that way.