Help me buy new graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by mesfigas, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Hi everyone.
    i m gonna need some help to buy a new gfx
    my card atm is a Ati HD5870 1 giga ram
    my system is :intel E7300 @2.6 ,8 giga ram @800, mobo asus p5q
    power supply unit corsair 750 watt i bought it 150 euros a few years ago)
    i will spend 150 euros or maybe 10 more

so the question is what to buy?
    Ati or Nvidia ?
    which one is better for rfactor 2?
    please help me decide i dont have much time to spend and search what is better
    and i dont have knowledge at hardware.
    thanks guys :)

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I would recommend Nvidia.
    Look for GTX 1050Ti or 950 GTX.
    Oh, and the brandnew 1050TI GTX could also be in the pricerange!
    I guess you run on one monitor at 1080p?
    I hope your CPU won´t be a problem,- is possible.

3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

my monitor is very old
    i have an EIZO L550 at 1280x1024...this is the biger resolutiom :(
    but i ll buy a new monitro in a few months

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i can find a gigabyte 1050 ti. for 170 euros.....is gigabyte good as a brand ?

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

I can find a ASUS ΑΤΙ Radeon r9 290 x directCU2 OC 4GB for 170 euros (second hand) is it good ?
    or should i go for Nvidia ?

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

How much is the rx 470? It should be close to that 290x both are way better than the 1050 anyway

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Both RX 470 and 290X are good, both are overkill for your CPU actually. With that CPU, you are going to have issues with racing against AI cars in rF2, especially on ovals. The minimum CPU requirement is a 2.8 GHz Core 2, and that I would consider the absolute minimum to enjoy this game.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Ati is about to unveil a badass card and they got great Vulkan support. Not relevant to rf2 but a general thing, as it is not tied to the latest versions of Windows like directx.

Nvidia had superior performance but I read the issues have been resolved, but I recommend searching the forum for further clarification. Ati will also be cheaper. Anyway, as aforementioned, your cpu and rest of system will bottleneck performance. If you can wait then upgrade more components at once. First cpu then monitor and graphics card together.

Don't get anything with less than 4gb at the bare minimum, and gigabyte is a fine brand.

9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

cool thanks for answers guys !
    i was thinking to buy a gfx now and overclock my cpu to 3.2 very easy
    i will need 450 euros to upgrade new cpu ,mobo,ram so i ll do that at summer.

Guimengo said that i have to buy 4 giga card at minimum so i keep that i mind

10. stonec

stonec Registered

4 GB isn't really needed at moment to play at 1080p resolution, all official rF2 tracks are built to fit inside 2 GB VRAM because that's what most people have today. So 4 GB would mainly be useful for VR/WQHD/4K use.

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

does anyone know if 4 giga ram is good for games like witcher ?
    i m not upgrading for witcher btw i upgrade because i cannot play at Matsusaka with 1 giga ram
    the games goes to black screen probably cause out of memory
    so i have no problem with 2 giga cause i can still can play matsusaka but i was thinking and my rest of the games like newer games for example
    i dont have VR or 4k monitor but i will buy in the future a monitor

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

4gb is not necessary for 1080p, till previous generation cheaper cards had 2gb and nobody said it was not enough, no idea why all of sudden 4gb became a minimum, I guess propaganda does hit people

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Um pouco mais de respeito, garoto.

I speak from experience going through 1, 2, and 4gb cards. Rf2 on 2 gb vs 4 gb makes a difference, how one cannot tell from benchmarks is unfathomable. 4gb is nothing new and current cards are 8 and 12gb. So by all means, buy within the budget but do not expect good performance when the price difference warrants the 4gb option as well. 2gb will not be future-proof, it barely is current-proof.

Witcher is demanding and you will be better served on a better card. 1080p is the bare minimum so you'll be ok. But with this info in hand, mesfigas, browse benchmark websites and inform yourself on performance. Witcher 3 will have benchmarks for many cards so you can infer the difference in performance from the cards in your shortlist, rf2 doesn't have that luxury.

For ram, 8gb is the current standard. It is easy for the game and background operations to fill 6gb.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Current rF2 tracks don't fill 2 GB VRAM unless you run at higher resolution than 1080p or with some very high opponent count. You can test this yourself by loading GPU-Z and check VRAM usage on for example Toban with max settings. I think recent ISI tracks don't take much more than around 1-1.3 GB with 0 opponents.

If the whole track cannot fit inside VRAM, then yes, the performance will drop massively. Other games with open worlds might benefit from more VRAM, but with rF2 it's always in proportion to track size and detail. If the track textures and objects all fit inside 1.5 GB, then 4 GB VRAM will give 0% FPS increase over 2 GB. I'm not saying this won't change with future tracks, but with current ISI tracks this rule applies.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Dont know what the 980GTX 4GB cost today but i think it dropped a lot after the introduction of the 1XXX cards, and im very happy with it. So far it has run every game at max settings with 60FPS. If money is no problem then i would go for a 1080 nvidia. Of course the login BS to use shadowplay is annoying AF and for that reason alone im thinking of ATI next who saw the Nvidia account wall crap and made sure you dont need that to use the features of the card. I just love shadowplay as its such a good, light video recorder with superior playback performance/quality.

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Não faltei respeito com ngm, talvez vc precise de um pouco mais de maturidade pra não ficar ofendido com bobagem na internet.

Well... to each their own. If you aren't running 100 cars at the Nords 2gb will fit you well enough. Of course most or all of the new cards will have more than that for fair prices, no complaints on that aspect, but if you have to pay more for more memory then nope, IMO not worth it, not necessary @ 1080p

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

thanks everyone for the information !
    i really needed to learn what i need so what left is Ati or nvidia
    I read somewhere on the internet that ati makes better quality products than Ati
    and nvidia makes better drivers, not sure how true is this.
    I ll go for 4 giga just to be sure that i can keep the card for many years.
    i dont buy hardware very often.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Will, claiming my words are gullible marketing repetition is not what you excused your post to be. You often write without knowledge and beyond yourknowledge. Don't worry, never shall read or write towards you again.

Mesfigas, I had switched from ati to nvidia due to drivers. Nvidia has had better support but it has also dropped the ball often. I'm leaning towards ati for future update as they appear to be trying not to fall so far behind with support.

But make a shortlist of the games you intend to play, browse some current benchmarks and then choose. There used to be gross underperformance in rf2 that i believed was cured in 2015. You can actually find first-hand accounts of it all in this forum!

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

1st comes RF2 then comes the rest.

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Apologizes for not being a "know it all" like you, such a tragedy I'll have to pay for. Goodbye cruel world.

Anyway yeah faster support and problem fix = Nvidia. AMD has improved but not there yet IMO. Still like their cards tho. Just don't jump into drivers as soon as they are released (both AMD and Nvidia), wait other people play the guinea pigs first ;)