Help! How can I reduce polys when creating terrain?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hey everyone.

I am wanting to build out from a section of track and create new terrain.

So from the track edge which has many polygons, step out from there and reduce the poly by half and repeat until I have polys like the one in the images.

Is there a way to do this in 3d Max? Thanks in advance.

terrain help2.JPG terrain help.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. svictor

svictor Registered

I don't have 3dsmax, but you can easily do this in Blender(free).

In Blender (can import as FBX), select the faces you want to merge(for reduce poly), press F to merge triangle faces, without deleting extra vertices; or press X to dissolve faces (check dissolve vertices to remove extra vertices). You can also first press F to merge any triangle faces you want, then select those unwanted vertices and press X to dissolve them, so they won't generate extra triangle faces after.

Also it is often to encounter a mesh with none-connected faces (each triangle face has its own vertices that not connected to others), which will prevent you from merging them. To fix this, select those faces (or whole) and press M to bring up vertices merging menu, then select "By Distance", at left bottom of screen, click "merge by distance" and change distance value to a correct one. This method can also be used for optimizing model, removing extra and unnecessary vertices.

Blender also has a object Modifier option, called Decimate, can be applied to an object to reduce poly (a slider to control how much).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Mike Cantwell likes this.