Help! cars parked in the middle of the track (sebring)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Denstjiro, May 12, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This is a weird one, we ran here before with no issues, now, even with 2 drivers on the server, 1 gets a garage, others are parked in the last turn in the racing line?

multi cars, GT-R, Camaro, Corvette. pretty sure vmod etc are as per usual.

any idea?

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hmm. Is this a modified version of VLM's Sebring? This would be caused by garage spots being misplaced on the track. You need to fix this in the AIW file. I don't recall the public VLM Sebring having a messed up AIW.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yeah the AIW must me messed up. try reinstalling it on the server and try redoing the rfmod. We know that Sebring works fine even for multiclass, so either the installation or the rfmod is causing the issue. Probably.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No not modified at all, in fact we used this track before with no issues.
    I don't see how the AIW changed when just sitting there doing nothing until now :)

But I will reinstall it anyways, and redo the vmod, see if it works out. thx guys.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I will look at the AIW in the public Sebring component to see if it has any problems. I really don't recall it having any bugs.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Which layout are you using?

12h Course
    Club Course
    Modified Course

Edit: Yep, there is a garage spot right in the middle of the track. I've only looked at the 12h Course so far. I am surprised this hasn't been pointed out before. Our league used a custom AIW and we did end up with a car parked on the track. But I thought this was an error on our part but I guess it was a bug in the public version too.

This AIW should fix the problem:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzza57xagaec5c8/SEBRING_12H.AIW

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

arg why Lord why. [insert dramatic gesture's]

did another vmod, same problem. but that was before your post Noel.
    we have done events here before and no issues.(12H btw)

so now what? edit some files and publish a custom track that everyone needs to d/l? that is something I want to avoid, easy access is the name of the game, also the reason online-skins are currently doing my head in. I cannot get anything to work unless I update the mod with skins.

recently I've been increasing work on all things rf2 because I want to deliver a neat championship for the league and whilst I have been slacking before in single events now I am running into all sorts of issues, the more I try things, the more problems I am faced with.

And its not like i'm stupid. sure, I might lack the brain capacity of a dev or guys like you but common man, why is everything surrounded with fecking issues? I thought years of rf1 fiddling would have given me an edge lol. sucks to be an rf2 admin that's for sure.
    no wonder rf2 is dead in mp.

Anyways, ignore my rant. I will see how it pans out in club races, maybe peeps can change car during practise so it wont hurt us in q and r.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

oh I see your edit, what do with it Noel?

And thx for the help :)

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This started happening after about about 3 builds ago. One of those bugs that still makes me chuckle.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i'm not amused though, spending time on a single event whilst I should be trouble shooting the rf2 issues for the championship.

currently searching the forums on what to do with that AIW file, never worked with that before but most threads are 2012/2013 and since so many things change per build and so many new things arrive that could influence something i'm just not comfortable trying any of those tips and fixes.
    fed up with randomly guessing if something will work or not.

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't really see how this bug is any different than in rF1. The AIW files have the same layout as rF1.

Anyways, here is how you apply my fixed AIW to the track and make a new rfcmp:

I will PM you a download link.

But you are right, this will be a custom track that your members will have to download. But this isn't uncommon for leagues even in rF1. If you use GetMod your users simply join the server and the track will automatically download.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This isn't an rF2 bug... It's a bug in the track. The AIW had 24 alternate garage spots all in the same place right in the middle of the racing surface. This would have been a problem in 2005 on rF1 too.

13. Jamie Shorting

It did just pop up after a build though. I remember clearly as I was doing at least one organised rF2 race a week for 8 months. Hopefully that info helps. :)

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you're trying to learn the format of the AIW file you would have more luck searching the rF1 forums. This gets more into the modding side of things. If you're trying to find info on taking my fixed AIW file and building a new component you're going to have to read a little info here and there.

These two tools make this sort of stuff much easier. It is what I used in the video I just made:
    Component Packager: http://goo.gl/Qnhojo
    rfcmp/mas context menus: http://goo.gl/uNHpCj

This stuff isn't that hard but it is hard to document without confusing the crap out of people.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Damn Noel, I am very impressed with your help man, creating a fix and fixing the track for me, well appreciated :))

And sorry for my ignorance, some things I just never tried before in rf2 and currently I am short-fused on anything rf2 so atm I tend to just not try anymore rather then spending hours on something that might not work at all anyways.

But this one is not on ISI so they dodged one here.

thx again!

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It probably popped up when you had more cars on the track. I can assure you that if you have garage spots in the middle of the track it is going to show it's ass eventually.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I agree, once one figures everything out it isn't hard anymore. its just the figuring out part and the immense amount of missing info that is doing people's heads in.
    we used to have a large admin team with some tech guys like you, they would take care of things like this, and they liked doing it as well.
    me, I am more an organisational type, getting things streamlined etc. I hate fiddling files and that's part of the frustration, if you don't like doing something....

18. Jamie Shorting

True. Now that I think about it, it started with the build where MP was a little wonky. Three or four builds ago? It would happen even if there were only two or three cars on the server. I'm no modder or track builder so I can't give an explanation. :)

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No problem.

I understand it can get frustrating sometimes. In our league we almost always have to fix AIW problems. Most tracks don't have enough pit boxes for us so we have to make a custom track with more. Luckily it is very simple to add spots in DevMode. You simply park the car where you want a box and click the button to add a box. Then drive forward a few feet and repeat. It helps to use a top view of the car so you can see exactly where the car is.

Obviously this isn't how you would want to place the boxes. This is a little too close. Hehe. But you get the drift.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Funny we have similar problem but only one car is parked in the last turn in racing line, others is in garage.

Sebring Viritual LM ver. 1.90 is track version :)