Help billboard stamp vertex

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Andrea1968, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

hi, sorry but I'm a beginner with 3dsmax I'm trying to rotate a palm with the billboard technique(T1 stamp vertex) , I have the four vertices but I can't get the menu of the properties of the vertices where to set alpha to 90, the palm appears perfectly in devmode but it doesn't rotate because I can't put the alpha parameter at 90. I also attach the 3dmax 2017 file of the palm tree if someone expert has the will to give it a look and make me understand where I'm wrong.in the hope that a solution will be found and that it can also serve many modders who are starting with 3dsmax like me. thanks in advance

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h5PWGYNHMUO_MxGunk-HMV54sOaGYEAX/view?usp=sharing

2. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

I was unable to enter editpoly because something on the mesh imported from blender was wrong, I redid the plan with one face and 4 vertices with 3ds now I can have the alpha parameter to be changed from 100 to 90 but despite this and having set everything as https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/billboard-trees-dont-turn.30713/ still does not rotate
    Is it normal that objects exported from 3ds are not loaded by 3dsim and giving building geometry error?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

4. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

ok, now by setting the alpha value to 99.9 instead of 90 the palm rotates, but it has overturned and enlarged, if I try to turn or climb the object the situation does not change, any advice?
    Immagine.jpg

5. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

here we are guys, playing with the triangulation on the editpoly section elements I managed to put the tree upright, for the dimensions it was a problem of unit of measure settings on 3dsmax, it was necessary to set 1 unit = 1meter. all this info I collected them on the forum, excellent help, thanks to everyone, now it will take a little more detailed tests and try a nice Bump Specular Map T1 stamp vertex

Corti and woochoo like this.
  6. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

I am carrying out tests applying this technique on Kyalami, it is very useful and convenient to group several objects into a single object so once you have entered editpoly "element" you can select each individual tree and scale or move it.

Corti likes this.
  7. svictor

svictor Registered

Here is an easy method to do billboards tree without using expensive 3dsmax (using 3dsimed+Gjedit instead).

In 3dsimed (must done this 1st):
    1. Isolate all trees from other objects, then explode all objects into one piece.

2. Batch edit all material and set shader to any of the Stamp Vertex, such as T1 Stamp Vertex or Bump Specular Map T1 Stamp Vertex.

3. Press hotkey Ctrl+A and select Faces > Vertices RGBA, change Alpha value to 254 then click OK.

4. Select Save rFactor2 model to export GMT.

In Gjedit:
    1. Select Open FBX/SCN from menu, click Open and find the tree GMT file you saved (you maybe also need to set Path to texture folder). Then click Load at bottom.

2. On the tool bar, click 6th button "Pick instance from list", click the instance name (there should be only one in this example) and hit OK.

3. On the tool bar, click 5th button "Open instance editor", find the section "Screen-Aligned Quads", and select "BB" box, then choose one of the 5 align methods button (they have different effects). You will see the tree rotating and facing you right way (if not, there must be something wrong with vertice alpha or shader setting, or the mesh is not a triangulated quad).

4. Last, on the tool bar, click 3rd button "Export meshes and mats to .gmt/.scn file", choose a folder, then hit Export All or Export Selected.

------------------------
    gJED download: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/download-gjed-build-1108-dx9-shaders.23333/

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    philrob and Corti like this.
  8. Andrea1968

Andrea1968 Registered

fantastic, a very fast method to obtain rapid conversions of many objects, the paths with this technique take a whole different style, slowly I have to update my tracks.
    thanks Svictor as always excellent advice for the whole modder community, do not leave us alone when the new documentation on materials and new techniques arrives, thanks

svictor likes this.