Help a newbie out please :)

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Gearjammer, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I want to create a mod to where I can specify the car and track that will be available for a race server. How do I create the mod? What tools do I need and where can I get it?

I looked at the video that talked about vmod vs rfmod and the gmotor2 tool looked like it should do the trick, but there is no P in the tool I downloaded so I have no clue what to do.

2. JGraf

JGraf Registered

the P was replaced with a open box looking icon, mouse over the icon will provide a "create the package file" message.
    once selected, choose "create new mod package"

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The tool I am using doesn't show an open package or anything that has "create the package file" when I mouseover. Here is what I see:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The path to the tool is "rF2datafolder\Support\Tools". Should look like this.
    masutility.JPG

1 person likes this.
  5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks Tosch, that is what I was looking for :) Now I should be able to get things done

6. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Being a newb as well I have been messing around with the MAS2 , they changed the icon in 118 so the "P" "C" icons are gone have been replaced with the weird yellow icon and the "open box" icon ,this is where you start for vmods .

As long as you don't want to actually change any cars or "mod" one of the mods it pretty strait forward .

I have built 5 or so vmods for my league and once you do the first one it becomes pretty easy . Theirs a few threads explaining the steps some differ from other on what content needs to be in . for me I followed the vid tut and was successful ! lol amazing ..

Start with the open box icon then select the top tab "Create new mod package" then name your vmod , hit next and it will go to the track select screen , select the track you want in your mod (to check more than one use crtl/left click) when done hit next , now choose the mod you wish to use , again you can add multiples if you wish like meganes vrs GT's ect.. Hit next and you see the components page , here 2 things as a rule are needed (again some say only need the mod ) the talent file for selected mods and the sound files for selected mods (you have to search through the many names in the lists to find the right files by name , this area needs some work to help separate the common files but that's another day ) , other stuff like showrooms ,ui data ectt are there but i believe the clients games will automatically use these so no need to include but idk for sure , I haven't used them and my mods are working .. lol .

Hit next or done what ever it is , this will take you to the package screen you should see the box's filled with your choices , now if you have selected tracks with multiple layouts you need to select what ones to use the tracks in the left box there layouts across in the right side box ,again I think its a ctrl/left click type to choose more than one iirc atm but you will see what i mean ,lol ..

OK now your almost done , the vmod will only be around 1 meg until you start checking the box's next to the components , only do this if you want your vmod to contain all these components , not necessary as users already have this stuff on there pc's .unless you have built or edited a mod that nobody has yet then you would check the box next to your mod as it needs to be added to there packages , the more box's you check the larger the vmod becomes . ectt.. they can become HUGE !

Ok now comes the finish , Hit "package" this will build the vmod , hit "done"now you can test it or register it via the menu , when your ready hit register , it will be registered with a id # this allows it to show up in match maker and show up on your server . also on build 118 the "install" button is not working properly so just install the vmod via mod manager .. !! that should do it !!

Hope this helps ;-)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Very helpful guys. One last question, where would I look for information on how to install the mod on the dedicated server?

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I think what would be a good idea is for the makers to add a button to the rfactor2 launcher to load this program. If they want us to use the vMod system why have the program berried deep within the folders.

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Once you have your vmod file it is installed just like anyother component /mod through packages , with remote access to server, on ded's the file structure is a bit defrent so you just need to find the packages folder upload to that , then in mod manager you can install it ... im only repeatin what i saw here as i host from my home pc but have stood by and observed the prosses ..lol theres alot of threads in the "Hosting servers" forum http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/56-Hosting-servers