Hears a TIP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dice65, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dice65

dice65 Registered

tryed joining 3 different servers tonight , wont download all the stuff needed , waste of time !! ,, went to the site to try to download the dtm mod , it took me to 3 different sites an still no luck !! waste of time !! Maybe build a mod people will race !! like just one dirt car mod and maybe 2 or 3 tracks , just maybe you will get people in the dam game ! , i just wasted an hour an still cant race nothing , how about a refund ?? there was maybe 5 servers with about 20 people total if your lucky ,,wtf

2. dice65

dice65 Registered

CANT EVEN START a server to run my own race ,, i give up !!! maybe in another year or two before everything starts working ?? ill take a dam refund please !!

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The DTM mod is a paid mod, not a free download unfortunately. A lot of the Get Mod content doesn't download because those who setup servers have to set that aspect correctly. Regarding your own server, that I have no idea as I've never tried.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

go get a ps4. enjoy

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Thanks for the tip. Heres mine. Don't brush your hair with Toast.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hey dice, I totally share your frustration man. I've had the auto-download of cars and tracks work a lot of the time lately though, but the thing is that sometimes people don't set up their servers for the auto download because either they just don't want to (bandwidth limits/costs), or because they may be using a paid mod.

Also, setting up your own room is a pain in the ass too. In rF1 and rF1 based sims you don't even need to open up the dedicated server thing. You literally just start the game, and in-game you choose a series, set some some rules and you're done. In rF2 you have to do all this out-of-game, 1995 feeling, bull****, lol. That stuff is great for actual servers, but many people just want to go in and quickly create their own room, all super quick, convenient and in-game.

Here is the important thing though...
    ISI are listening man. Apparently the next update is going to bring improvements to the whole online system. Apparently you won't have to have all of the pre-selected tracks of the room you want to join, you just need the one currently being used (obviously). Also, I think there may be some improvements in getting your own room setup nice and quick.

I feel your frustration bro, but stick with it because when it comes time to the actual enjoyment you will get from the gameplay itself (driving/racing) then rF2 is gold brotha :)

I've auto-downloaded Lienz, Longford, Spa, China, Infineon kart, Euro Ring kart, another Kart track (Osso?? Or something like that), and more other tracks, + the Formula Sim Racing Car (F1 style) and some other cars that aren't coming to me ATM. It really works great a lot of the times, especially the few months as more and more people implement it :) .

By the way, check out the F3 Rookies server, it usually has people in it in the evening and up until the morning pacific time. Great group of guys, and amazing racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

To run a server you must foward ports on your router.

Why servers are relatively empty, I have no idea, unfathomable to me.

The lack of support on the servers by people that apparently like rF2 is even more perplexing.

Apart from GSC and iRacing I can online all sims .... I tell but, if I could not join or host in rFactor2 I honestly don't know what I would. lopl

I rather lap in rF2 with 3 cars then 30 in anything else as rF2 simply drives the best and I rather not waste my time with less.

Nothing good comes easy.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

This:

How is this going to help? Where do you download components?
    There is going to be loads of "My Servers" in lobby and lot of moaning that's for sure.
    Get Missing Component is not going to work if you don`t create vmod and you need also dropbox or web server etc.

If you can not create vmod and host like rFactor2 is today I don`t think you should be hosting at all.:mad:

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

This. I have one server with the URD eGT cars which won't download the cars but will download the track.

But then I have a BTCC server where everything you need will download.

It is true though, some servers get nod just don't work, which is a shame.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

But doesn't that just go hand in hand with what I said above Ari.

Forget loads of "My servers" :)

Just look at the last 2 years, divide the average drivers a day into servers listed. ..... it's paltry ?

Now average the drivers in every LiveRacersroom race let alone server when we had them .............huge and all stock content combos ?

I think if that was kept up from day one people would have good stats and data and felt more apart and got more involved.

I also think for decades sims should have had a central depot for all addon content with extra stuff for paid up members.

I never understand 100 sim sites linking the same stuff and tying download bandwidth to donations just to stay afloat, why replicate something 100 times., money could be better spent.

Same as rF2 why have so many diff ways, places, drop sites, sites, whatever to get what you need, why not just one. ?

At least for open room stuff cut all the duplication out.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I am expecting the auto-download for tracks/cars to still work (hopefully being able to choose what you want to download instead of having to download all 20 tracks even though you only want to play on the server for an hour). Do you think ISI would get rid of one of the most important, and most convenient features for a game that is based on third party mods? I highly, highly, highly doubt that. That would be insanely stupid. The auto-download must stay and work alongside the "not forced to have 400 tracks to join a server" feature. It will be stupid if it's just one or the other.

I have no idea what you are talking about with "My Servers" and "dropbox", no idea what those mean. And why will people be moaning? I think you're confused or something, I don't understand what is bad about not having to download 400 tracks to join a server...No idea what you're saying.

I don't understand what you mean? It's about joining races and playing, hardly about hosting a server. Why would you want to be forced to download 20 tracks just to join a server to race for 1 hour? LOL! And why would you want to force other people to download 20 tracks just so that they can join your server for an hour or two? Makes no sense.

Think about it this way. If everything worked EXACTLY how it does now, EXCEPT for the fact that you can join a room as long as you have the track it is currently using, without being forced to having to have all the other pre-selected tracks (you can get any or all of those tracks later if you are still in the room when it changes to those tracks, and through the auto-download feature still, just like now), then how is this bad for the player or the host in any way, shape, or form???...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It seem that you don`t have a clue how dedicated server is working. Auto download is not working if third party mods or tracks are used and it don`t work with new experimental rFactor2 Dedicated UI to this you need dropbox, web server etc.
    This means that if Mister Spinelli is hosting Carts at Lienz nobody can download track if Mister Spinelli don`t spend some time and find out how get missing component is working.

Topic number 2 is moaning and I would not be surprised if I find topics like that made by Mister Spinelli when new build is released.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think your splitting hairs mate :)

There are as I see it 3 main types of lappers.

1. League, paid servers these guys have all their stuff set, like you do not join one unless you willing to get with the program and get everything you need. These rooms largely stick to a format and changes will be forecast.

2. Open room regulars: These people have taken their time tried a lot of different rooms and usually settle on 1 or 2 that have a format and cars they like.

3. Open room hit and run: These are people room hop a lot and drive any cars and you will need new tracks daily.

I think #3 this is the group most having difficulty, even still a lot of these types of guys still have a handle on what add-ons they need.

As I remember the more tracks you had the more you were prepared in any online sim. ;)

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Isnt this how it always was? It was always necessary to include URL in component package (dropbox/mediafire/whatever) for autodownload to work. Surely nothing has changed regarding this with the experimental dedi. The components can't be downloaded directly from raceserver, it would take too much bandwidth and cause lag issues.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

With rFactor2 Dedicated UI you don`t need to create vmod and you don`t need to have all hosted tracks installed if you like to join, I think get missing component is working too if ISI mods and tracks is used.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I tell you what too, a lot less league types frequent open rooms these days.

Sure they are tired of rookies races and want quality time but they are just as responsible for supporting
    and nurturing rF2 and new comers as anyone and that is done mainly in open loose rules rooms.

Like I was a bit amused to read on a league site how they highlighted giving tuition to rookies.

Fair enough, that is great, but they are many and what maybe have at worst 10/20 slower drivers need help in a season.

F3 rookies I hand trained/helped more then that in a weekend. lopl

All the mods and URLS and package modes in the world won't make rF2 better or popular if no one hardly onlines it.

Support your sim.

18. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Why?? coz its got jam on it? that's ok, I use vegemite, keeps my colour.

19. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Its easy to see why people dont bother with the online which is a shame, online is what keeps you playing. It ultimately becomes boring racing on your own.
    I love multiplayer games, been playing them over 10 years, I love rf2. I have tried on 2 occasions to join a server and have some fun. I found it under populated and unintuitive, I haven't gee'd myself up to try again.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Dude. What in the world are you talking about...I have auto-download the following 3rd party cars and tracks through auto-download:
    Lienz, Euro Ring, Infineon kart track, Nurburgring Nordschleife, FSR F1 car, Spa, GP79, Hockenheimring, Le Mans 91-96 Virtua_LM, Mount Panorama, RaceRfactor_Spa_2013, THRUXTON, Exp Eve, BRNO, Bahrain International Circuit, 458_Challenge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.