Head shake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argo0, Jun 16, 2012.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi,
    I've got the Cockpit Vibration multipliers on 0.000, in fact there are 4 lines in the plr regarding this setting and I've got them all on zero but the shake round the banking at Monza is still extreme. Is there another setting that I've missed? Something to do with base values is it?
    Any help appreciated.

2. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

isn't their a head shake or world movement slider in settings/controls...?

4. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks for replies.
    Its not the head movement option.
    I've installed Head Motion plug in but problem round the Monza banking remains.
    Would like to know how many users see the same extreme shaking effect and how you all feel about it.

5. LorenzoPR

LorenzoPR Registered

huuh? I think this extreme head shaking is normal, when you´re driving in a historic F1 car with 300 km/h on these really bumpy banks in Monza. Your car is shaking this extremly on the banks in Monza, so your head is doing it too.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Darn they be not included the option in this build )-:

It's much needed

The eyes correct for these movements in the real world , only a very minor bit of bump/shake needed graphically to creat a decent effect
    Think it's also made worse for users like me tripple screen ( 32" away from centre ) fov 36 -the shake is unbearable in some places

7. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, I use 32 FOV. The shake leads to some images looking like double vision. Its way over done in my opinion. God knows how people are getting on with it if they haven't edited their plr and still have the original cockpit vibration multipliers.
    As for the banking being bumpy, especially in an old F1 car, that had occurred to me obviously! The car would shake and your head would shake, but your vision would not. At least nowhere near to this degree. In my opinion, of course.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Argo

Could you share the PLR edit trick with us?

I did change some of the stuff in there as a test but to no success previously

9. argo0

argo0 Registered

Sure, its these -
    Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation
    Car Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Vibration multiplier affects cameras attached directly to the car

Just wish I understood why it doesn't completely stop the head shake.

10. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

set head movement and axaggerate yaw (spelling) in the Controls settings to 0.. Together with the .plr settings this will remove all movement.. I think ;)

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I myself have not tried it, but did you change this line to 0.00000?

Car Vibration Mult2="1.00000"

12. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

Cockpit Vibration Mult1="1.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="1.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit

The above is a speed based vibration for cockpit view only. Setting to 0 will disable, although the defaults were slightly reduced in the newest historics mod.

Car Vibration Mult1="1.00000" // Vibration multiplier affects cameras attached directly to the car
    Car Vibration Mult2="1.00000" // Secondary engine vibration multiplier affects orientation of cameras attached directly to the car

This is an engine RPM based vibration affecting ALL onboard camera's including cockpit view. 0 will disable.

Head Physics="1.00000" // Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)
    This is the force based cockpit view movement multiplier. Again 0 will disable, although I can't say I recommend setting this one to 0, personally I feel more in touch with the car with this enabled, but it's not for everyone.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Theoretically the eyes and brain maybe correct for a bit in real life, but not by much. The SLIGHTLY overdone effect in rFactor is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more real and visceral than iRacing, or netkar pros effect which is the worse of all of them and the car looks almost like its a picture glued on top of your screen.

I agree with you in real life your brain, inner ear etc etc to things to compensate for all this I agree, but honestly after having raced tons of laps in FF1600 and FF2000 and a limited test of an open cockpit prototype car trust me in saying that if you want the most realistic experience, if your training for real life and need to prepare yourself to the SUPER VISCERAL experience of this stuff, then I would keep it on, or just slightly decrease it.

Or how about maybe half all the values between 0 and what they are now to get a compromise?...

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I hope you guys dont over do it the other way and keep reducing the defaults just because of some complaints from people who think they know what they are talking about but 95% of them (probably even more) have never had real racecar experience.

15. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

I have raced "real" cars and bikes, and 95% of those guys I raced against didn't know what they were talking about or doing either lol
    I did more "head shaking" just watching and listening to them than you get in this game :p :rolleyes:

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I love the head shaking, it feels right. It's not like my body & neck are rock solid and immovable. Keep it how it is, feels awesome. Especially at old Spa going fast, can hardly see a thing.

17. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yes Jim, thats on 0 as well.

Incidentally, this was posted elsewhere in the forum -

'I'll say this again: Gs or gravitational forces do NOT equate to head bobble in real life terms. Can we PLEASE understand that for the hundredth time.
    I've experienced plenty of g-forces on track and as a flight test mechanic. In either case your head does not "bobble" all over the place.
    Please get someone to take you out on a race track sometime to experience it for yourselves. There is no wild shaking up and down.'

and

'As you stated earlier, the inner ear in combination with the brain and optic nerve 'dampens' out those pulses.
    You'd have to be driving on a 'heavily-lined' cobblestone track to get anywhere near the frequency I'm seeing with most sims.'

It should be noted that 'real race car experience' does not seem to produce a uniform opinion.

I would also find it regrettable if my opinions were viewed as 'complaints'.

Anyway, I've decided that the Real Head Motion plugin is probably the 'vision simulator' that I am most comfortable with and I'd welcome anyones opinion on the subject whatever their previous experiences.

18. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Actually the banked turns at Monza were not in cobblestone, but in "bumpy" concrete, which probably, at 300kmh, gives A LOT of shake, say the same than in cobblestone surface at low speed.

Take a look at the front right tire travel (starting at 25s) in the video below ... impressive

19. osella

osella Registered

It does give a lot of shake but your view doesn't shake in real life. As was already mentioned, our eyes and brain make up for it so your view is pretty much static.

20. argo0

argo0 Registered

May I just clarify that the cobblestone quote came from another thread on the subject by another user. I quoted it here to illustrate how real track experience can produce differing views on how it should be implemented in a sim. The quoted opinion seemed to contradict another users opinion in this thread even though they were both based on 'real' racecar experiences.
    Also, I would expect my vision to shake a lot less than the wheels, as indeed we can see the rest of the car is shaking a lot less than the wheels. I'm certainly not saying that our vision should be still though. I agree it would be pretty visceral, but I'm just not sure it should result in me seeing some objects in double vision when the shaking is peaking.