HDR - Automation (Possible Issue)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TMoney, Apr 20, 2014.

1. TMoney

TMoney Registered

I've noticed what appear to be a couple bugs with the Automation HDR setting. While it looks pretty good overall in most conditions (although maybe slightly on the bright side?), there are a few objects (or materials) that don't seem to like it causing them to glow or appear overly bright. Helmets are the biggest issue, since they are common in almost every mod. The only way around it is to disable HDR, or Automation if you have a separate profile for the given track. In some mods the windshields/glass/lights also glow in the same way. I don't know what causes it but it seems to be material related.

Fingers crossed that this is something that can be fixed and isn't a "sacrifice" for using an automatic HDR mode. At the moment I'm using other HDR profiles since it looks more realistic overall (mainly due to the above issues). Is this a known bug or something that can be addressed? Is there any way to adjust settings for Automation? See pics, thanks.

Automation HDR
    View attachment 12452 View attachment 12454

Realistic Clear
    View attachment 12453 View attachment 12455

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

good luck getting this fixed :)

apparently its a mod issue, modders need to tweak there whatever's. its not going to be done, even ISI don't do it for their own mods (Karts still has it on automation) so expect this issues to last quite a while.

funny enough on some tracks its not an issue using certain hdr profiles. maybe extracting those profiles and placing them in the main game so you can select them at every track could do the trick?

3. TMoney

TMoney Registered

But it's not just a mod issue. Yes some 3rd party mods are effected but the big issue I see is with the helmets, which are made by ISI right? This leads me to believe something needs to be tweaked.

If the HDR can be adjusted in such a way to cure the issue with the helmets, then it's likely the effected mods will also be fixed and everyone's happy. The other option I see is we get new helmets, leaving the Automation issues in the hands of the modder (if they decide to fix it).

The real question is, is this an issue with the HDR setting/adjustment itself, or a conflict with the HDR tech and certain materials? There must be a solution besides disabling it! :)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Our tech was actually a bit of a hack before we corrected something, causing this. The code is actually better now, but the mods need updating, yeah.

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It looks like those helmets use material with a lot of environmental reflections, reflecting all the surroundings. Darker HDR profile makes everything darker, so reflections on those helmets are not that intense.

6. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Ok so to clarify there is no issue with the Automation HDR? How will the helmets be fixed? Thanks.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The helmet materials need adjusting. I don't know the details, but it's on the modding side. Doubt there's anything you can do to 'fix' it in the meantime.

8. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Yeah that's what I'm assuming, which would mean it should be fixed in a future rF2 update. I noticed this since Automation was implemented, and seeing how we've gone through a couple official builds where the issue remains got me thinking what the issue could be, and whether or not it's something that can/will be fixed on ISI's side.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, it's not a future rF2 update thing. rF2 is fine, the mods need adjusting. Including ISI's.

10. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Umm OK, so ISI adjusting their "helmet mod" won't come in the form of an rF2 update? I don't understand.

Edit: I think I get you now. I thought the driver (helmet) was standard and part of rF2, and not separate for each mod. Hopefully it's not that sounds like more work than it sounded!

Anyhow, I think I found another Automation related issue with the newly released Quads. In the shadows the skid marks glow, but only certain "strips" of the track. I would've hoped the HDR setting could be adjusted since it seems there's more issues than meets the eye.

View attachment 12460

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  11. 88mphTim

No, the core is already updated. The content needs updating, as already stated.

How does this relate to HDR? Thanks. :)

12. 88mphTim

With content updates, driver models.

13. TMoney

TMoney Registered

OK thanks Tim I understand, sorry I was a little confused.

The skid marks in the pic seem related to Automation HDR in the way that they glow (similar to the helmets and other materials glowing).

Here's HDR OFF
    View attachment 12464

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I think that could be down to the fact the quads and that track were a rush job and rF2 isn't really fully directed towards that right now, rather than HDR.