HDR and Cockpit Camera

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Mulero, May 25, 2012.

1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

With the HDR OFF the game looks exactly the same from the nose camera that from the cockpit camera.

With the HDR ON from the nose camera the game looks perfect, but from the cockpit camera is all very wrong. It is as if it improved the intensity of light several points and everything looks too bright and overexposed.

These screenshots can be seen this perfectly.

[​IMG]

The image is illuminated both even hard to see in the mirror.

[​IMG]

A few more.

[​IMG]

PS: Do not know why screenshots are darker than in the game. In the game from the cockpit camera can not even play because there is excessive brightness.

2. Cloudheaven

Cloudheaven Registered

Same problem here, sometimes the HDR seems overbright.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Me three. ATI here.

4. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Same here.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

6. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Thanks mate, it's the same problem. I personally think a big mistake, the game looks awful from the cockpit.

I always play from the cockpit and I had to disable HDR which has led me to what for me is another mistake.

The game without HDR looks bad. Appear to be a giant cloud blocking the sunlight. The HDR should amplify the effects of light, but right now it seems that is what brings light.

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Everyone has it.

HDR tries to maintain "average" brigtness of the screen. Cockpit is dark and occupies good half of the screen, so HDR implementation tries to compensate for that.

I think HDR implementation still needs to mature a bit - I have a proposal for ISI on HDR exposure function that should work better. After I test it myself, I'll send them some feedback.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW: does any one remember a discussion about custom per-track HDR profiles?. Just imagine that track creators are able to modify your cockpit appearance, just by freely playing with HDR profiles. It is another reason why HDR should be fixed, simulating camera/eyes rather than be a tool to help artists to create artistic visions ;)
    I suggested to replace per-track HDR by global level HDR profiles (for whole game). It will open door for modification, but for whole title at once. And definitely will allow user to chose HDR profile he like, at least default one.

with regards