Having second thoughts already (*update: not anymore)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eRacer_, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I can't recommend it more, so much that now I feel the need to start driving it again. If you want to tame it a bit you just need to lower the back a click or two, but for learning purposes default setup is the way to go. The only exception is brake power and bias. Once you learn a bit you can move it a bit rearward, this cure a bit entry understeer giving front tires more lateral grip available.
    For learning short tracks are good, limerock park has 4 layouts and the good things is that being a school track there are all the turns and elevation changes you need to learn . There is the fast entry low exit turn after the main straight, there are S turns to find the line , chicanes, the second very tricky and so on. Damn. I'm going to work... I want to play a bit.

pkelly and bwana like this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

It can turn. The point with the car is that you need to learn to be more sensitive and apply more care when driving it. You get better overall since all the other cars (well, most anyway) are easier to drive. You're not supposed to question it - you are supposed to master it, lol.

atomed, bwana and eRacer_ like this.
  3. Shadak

Shadak Registered

Skip barber is open diff afaik. It turns in VERY happily without throttle but understeers a bit on throttle, so you brake but keep stabilizing the car with a throttle when you feel like the back is going. But also have enough rotation inside the corner from all that because on power it wont slide the back out too much (unless you yank it of course).

atomed and bwana like this.
  4. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Blah blah blah.... (with all due respect)
    Is time that you guys share a video of how you lap Nurburgring Sprint in the Skip Barber. Preach and lead by example ;) (also I want to see your inputs to learn how to handle it properly).
    Anyone fancy a challenge?

48nvn8.jpg

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I'm skipping my turn !

No time, no more clutch pedal for the moment and I only use up-to-date physics cars which is not the case in this car.

The key is to chain the laps, hundreds of laps, on one or more very technical tracks and adapted to the car or cars chosen to train.

I recommend using several cars, do not get used to one car even this one is very interesting.

eRacer_ likes this.
  6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Without throttle and brake inputs it's not worth much and i have no skippy video right now. Maybe i record a small AI race.^^ BUT:
    Do you accept a Porsche (Super)Cup on the GP track for now? :D (Another feeder car, that teaches driving behaviour, similar to the Skippy, bad brakes, lift off oversteer, snappy behaviour, understeery exits.)
    It's one of the best official cars IMO.^^

Unfortunately just visible steering input, like stated. I would have to use some tools or video cutting to show pedal inputs...rf2 could really need such a widget out of the box...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    eRacer_ likes this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

Challenge accepted! :D

Uploading a video... should be online.. tomorrow or never considering how fast is my internet upload. :D

Ok, here it is, the first laps are ok, nothing fancy, the last lap is how it is when you overdrive it. There are probably 2 seconds around the track, so my laptime could be easily chopped down.

The settings are:
    Initial REAL ROAD : medium
    Skip Barber NATIONAL (slick tires)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    atomed and CrimsonEminence like this.
  8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I share a video. Skip Barber at Lime Rock Park. It is a real video. Though if rFactor2 simulates correctly (which i think it does very well) it doesnt matter that much:

Well, only want to say, even if people send you a lot of videos ... in the end you have to master the car yourself. As i had too once (for league races) and it was very tough. But in the end very rewarding, one of the best things i ever did in simracing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Kelju_K and bwana like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't learn to drive by watching input graphs. Watch the skip barber video, then give it 2 hours of solid cautious practice (not at Nords - do something like lime rock park, give yourself only a handful of corners to deal with) imagining that you'll pay for any car damage yourself. You're probably approaching the limit from the wrong direction currently.

@eRacer_ so for fun I decided to try the Skip again... did a few laps at LRP, then went to Nurburgring Sprint. About halfway through I remembered there are 2 options for this car, I believe the second one has grippier tyres so might be a better one to start on. Anyway, I've attached some laps with the slower one, presumably the one you've been using. I didn't hook a good (for me) lap together, at least another second in there if I combined my best bits, probably close to another second if I managed to hold it somewhere near the limit instead of wavering all over and under it, and probably a good 2-3 seconds there for someone who knows what they're doing. (and maybe another second or two for a balls-out quali lap - I tend to drive in race mode all the time)

Point is, you can definitely get around the track without spinning at every corner. Going in too fast is no good (proved that myself a few times, especially towards the end) and being on the brakes while turning isn't very good either.

Oh, and this is totally default setup. I think it's best to practice driving on a default setup unless it's just obviously horribly wrong, if you feel a need to make a change then do it once and leave it. Otherwise you're just trying to fix your driving with setup changes, and that's no good. I would (and did) put the FFB Mult on 0.70 to avoid FFB clipping.

(did a couple of 1:50.1s, for reference - medium rubber preset)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    bwana, CrimsonEminence and vittorio like this.
  10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Skip Barber NATIONAL (slick tires)
    ^^this!
    Go to tuning and select the national version.

The car feels difficult if you have a tendency to on/off the throttle. It bites you in the ass immediately if you lift off the throttle too rapidly.
    Thats why everyone here is telling you to practice with the car. Be smooth with your inputs.
    Other easier cars let you get away with bad pedal work, even if it makes you slower. You just dont realize it making you slower with the easier cars. Driving only the easy ones eventually just leaves you wondering why everybody is so much faster than you...
    Like people said here, the skippy forces you to get rid of those bad habits that would keep you slower.
    You will benefit learning the skippy, when driving the easier cars later on.

bwana, atomed and CrimsonEminence like this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Yeah, but an important point is to have fun : hence the interest in taking various cars that you like.

The Great Apt likes this.
  12. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

For that, i recommend the celica gto :cool:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660725400
    After practicing with skippy, it is just the right medicine if skippy has started to melt your brain.
    Faster, great sounds, easier but not too much. So what ever you were able to take in from the skippy, you can implement it to the celica straight on ;)

bwana likes this.
  13. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

This this this this this.

I'm really into the Historical content atm (EVE F3) but I will not run Monaco with it; hate the track and hate the combo, so found other tracks that I do like.

Came back to Monaco 66 last night; Monaco still sucks but I was better around it than I had ever been - I got better at Monaco but running combos that I enjoyed, not by torturing myself with content I don't enjoy.

You have to have fun, if you're not digging the Skippy change the car or track or both; the game is meant to be fun, not a chore or duty.

14. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Skip Barber at Ahvenisto is pretty nice, too. If you get it right, you hardly have to turn the wheel (I think I posted a video on the community vid thread). The whole track has a connected flow that blew my mind when I realized what I was doing. I thought that place was all nervous corrections with the Skippy.

The only thing the Skippy is not suitable for teaching is trail braking. Well, it sort of does, but in a way where you have to balance the trail brake with the throttle. So you don't really learn trail braking, you learn catching the back while trail braking.

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Im really glad I stumbled across this thread! Reading through I can relate alot and Im so glad you decided to stick with it and are now enjoying yourself.
    Rfactor 2 is im afraid one of those things that you love so much when it works and exactly because of that will make you tear your own eyes out if it does'nt.
    I totally agree with alot of the comments about it really taking some time to get to know, I guess it is actually like taking a real car to a track, you have to really plan a day for it! Choose one track and car to focus on for a good amount of time, each one is its own universe! Then after some practice there's getting the right level of A.I. strength and aggression for which ever car/track combo you like as it can be very different for each one! Its so frustraing to wait for the track to load (which with the larger tracks can be a considerable amount of time) only to get through 30mins of practice and realise theres no point in going to Qualifying or race as the 15 other opponents you've loaded are so much faster than you they'll be gone by the 2nd or third lap! However I have some good news!

Now unless you've already figured this out, you can actually change the A.I. strength and aggression whilst still in session at the track without reloading! I always knew you could do this with the aggression slider but, by the Strength slider there is a note saying that changing that requires a restart, which I thought meant reloading the track after changing it in the main menu, not so!
    Restart means litterally just restart weekend if you're in a practice or Quali session or, if you've only loaded a race session and you realise you're too slow, go back to pits, change the skill level and click "Re-start Race"! And it really works!

I've only just discovered this and I've had the sim forever! (mind you, that could just be cause im a bit thick!).

Anyway thanks, this has provided me with some real inspiration and I love that you've found the joy in this awsome sim!

As I said its great to spend some time with one car and track to really get to know it in depth but, please allow me to completely contradict myself and show you that it is also possible to have some really silly fun with it, because there is actually alot this sim can do, and its so much fun!

16. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

apologies for the long delay gents. Too much work (can't complain in times like these)

The temperature is so ridiculous that I'm going to stop racing until end September. It is impossible to relax and drive with this heat.
    eRacing season peak should be, in my modest opinion, December/January, when the weather is really shit. I can't tell wife we are not going out in a sunny weekend... because I have a race. She suspects I'm a nerd, I don't want to confirm it.

Comante and Paul McC like this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, indoor activities makes less sense now. Unless you have a rig in rather cool basement. Yesterday my cousin got a proper go in rf2, beginning looked very frustrating, I was apologising that it wasn't fun, but it actually was for him. Within two hours of practice he started doing relatively consistent and fast laps with 1967 1.3l race car at Le grand circuit. He also haven't driven real car, so he was learning clutch and h pattern at same time.