Have you guys seen what Mexes is working on?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by buddhatree, Jul 15, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

superb work!

is there a Mexes's site or facebook address to follow the project?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Astonishing work and top quality, but I think there's a little disinfo about these models. There is no an official information about some rFactor mods developing, just HighPoly models and this is what Mexes said on VirtualR about the situation:

So, for what I see seems someone has started a sort of viral (about some rFactor mods with those babies), but nobody is actually working to put those babies into the game.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I can't find any real information about mods...just 3D renderings.

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

Seems to me that he is a freak in 3D modeling and texturing and he would like to give the models to someone (a modding group). May be the "Vintage Team" (1937 mod for rF1) will get in contact to him???

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

That would be nice!
    But their 3d is also good.

Mexes is curtainly persistent, Ive seen this work growing sometime now.

(btw Gaucho I was expecting to meet u at ARI races :))

6. Mauro

Mauro Registered

so.... we need a modder group for this cars in rf2! :)

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im curious,I was expecting all cockpits to be of this quality at RF2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but they are not.

Is it because we are on beta?
    Or I was too optimistic?
    Or I will have to wait for RF3?

Modders are doing tons better in this thing.
    Tuttle's Dallara is fantastic, also Ive seen a beautifull Mercedes cockpit from Enduracers? some months ago.
    But why not ISI?

(btw I expect this thread will have similar problems as Sebring, perhaps it shouldnt be at announcements)

8. ethone

ethone Registered

Probably a mixture of what you said and simple limitations on resources. For ISI cars them still being in beta is certainly part of how they look. I'm suspecting some shaders they use are far from final, although Tuttle has shown what you can do with the available ones. Without having a head-to-head test I'm not sure if say ISI's more "basic" cockpits and Tuttle's perform the same or if Tuttle's high quality comes with a price to be paid in performance, all settings being the same.

Keep in mind those are renders. Poly count is irrelevant and you can add beautiful ambient occlusion and lighting effects "for free" which you can not do (yet) in real time sims.

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well, the rF2 GFX is still in progress...but we can't have too much expectations to see something similar to pCARS or GT5. BTW we've pretty good shaders and when they fix everything I guess we can create nice interiors, especially for chrome and anisotropic surfaces.

Of course we can't get offline renders quality (like these mexes renders), but I'm confident about the future of the GFX development....:)

About my Dallara (interiors)...I've a different approach than ISI. They use ripped textures (textures taken by real pictures) and, of course, these images are including the light effect (sun elevation, shadows, material reaction, etc...) above surfaces, so the final result it's pretty good but sometimes can look a bit weird when the game light condition do not match at all the light condition of those textures (EG; you have a shiny chrome with a light spot but it's raining).

The method I use is a bit different; I do not use ripped contents (and when I do I prefer still life contents with a flat light). I use materials/shaders created in the 3D environment, then I render the texture above my UVA - with a basic HDRI light (no pointy source/no shadows) and a low/mid energy for the light source. Despite I've every high resolution picture for the dallara dashboard I've tried to re-do everything in a CGI environment to avoid the real picture VS game graphic fighting...

With the same technique I add AO bakings, dirt etc...so my works can look a bit less "photorealistic" but (maybe) more consistent and coherent with the game lighting in various situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  10. tjc

tjc Registered

Exceptionally beautiful models for sure.

Seems like we might struggle to see them in rf2 though :(

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

2 things lack from rf2 to achieve perfect looking cockpits:
    1. bluered cubemaps - to create other material than full glossy. for example to make plastics, matte carbons, leather. it is impossible to achieve it with only one sharp cube

2. support for mult shader with no linked texture UVs. it should make possible to create hiquality pattern based materials with AO texture streached over whole object. pattern based materials are free of dds compresion artefacts and simply look stuning.

and then one more will left to implement making rf2 cocpits even more impresive. masked cubemap. final cube map would be rendered based on boths cubemaps: in-car one and environment one. incar cubemap should have mask (in alpha channel) allowing env cube map to be rendered in masked areas. as you feagured out, it would be way out for current state where env is reflected from any part of cockpit.

I hope that ISI reads those ideas or comunicates behind forum with guys like kszczech to achieve best possible results

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

With models this good for cars this unique, IMHO he won't have trouble finding a modding group to put these in-game. Problem is, what's to say that game will be rF2? Could be PCars, GTR2, AC etc. Let's hope a rF2 modding group gets ahold of this

13. marc512

marc512 Registered

This... makes me want to learn how to mod and buy the models from him :\ astonishing work! Im a 3d modeller but that is out of this world...

Hope someone puts these in rfactor 2.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Just wish Mexes came in here to discuss about his models...

1 person likes this.
  15. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:)

16. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Again +1

17. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Holy cow!!! Details, details!! If they sound and feel like they look...damn!

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Will be interesting to see when he puts it out. The renders that he posted look amazing though. If they look anywhere near that good in game they should be pretty awesome :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered