Has anyone ever topped 400 kph in the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muz_j, Apr 27, 2017.

1. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Has anyone ever topped 400 kph in the game?
    ...for the imperial people - that would be 248.5 mph.
    So I'm asking if you've hit either 401 kph or 249 mph...?

It's a totally pointless quest on my part to exceed 400 kph in rFactor 2. The best I have managed so far is 395 kph - which I have a recording of.
    ...so who's done it and if you have - what car and track combination allowed you to pull it off ?

[​IMG]

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

All good - thanks.
    I'm genuinely not knocking anyone else, but I would prefer to stick to conventional cars, rather than jet powered crazy vehicles, but hey - each to their own.
    I've seen someone do it in Project Cars on the modern version of the Le Mans track, by drafting another car. I've tried that in rF2 and haven't quite nailed it properly. My 395 was done without drafting, just a ridiculously long straight.
    In real life 400 was hit by a Sauber C9 and 405 by a Peugeot on the old version of Le Mans, prior to the insertion of the 2 chicanes on the back straight. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find that version for rF2.

"Reaching 400 km/h (248.0 mph) during the qualifying sessions of the 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Sauber C9 proved to have one of the highest top speeds in the history of the competition at Le Mans. The C9's mark was only exceeded by the WM Peugeot P88, which achieved a speed of 405 km/h (251.1 mph) in the 1988 race.[10] These speeds led to the introduction of two chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight from 1990 onwards."

...and I have no intention of modifying a vehicles stat's to do it either. I want to nail in it a car that's realistically modelled, based on a real world one.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ah, ok. Then I missunderstood you question. Thought you mean the same as OP in other thread.

5. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

Seven Smiles likes this.
  6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Try an F1 car at Indianapolis. With in Indy car in the draft, you can hit 390, draft with F1 and you might go a bit faster.

muz_j likes this.
  7. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

The cars used a totally unique aero for Le Mans until 1989 while the long straight was used. Then it was not necessary, and they used a common aero package with some modifications.

For Le Mans in the group-c era, even the size of the rims and tyres was different. So, to simulate a real Le Mans aero package, the car should include it as an upgrade, or a different version of the car dedicated just that track.

muz_j likes this.
  8. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I'm convinced the Sauber Mercedes _will_ do a fraction more than 400 in the right conditions. It just needs a really long straight - preferably with a slight downwards slope. It's the C11 that's got me to 395 at Targa Florio. It requires a few setup changes to hit that, but nothing too crazy - gearing, lower the ride height. reduce down force to a minimum, reduce the brake ducts and I think reduce the radiator cowling a notch too. I ran out of road hitting 395, but with another few hundred metres, maybe a kilometre - 400's definitely doable. Its specified max speed in real life is 407 kph.

9. muz_j

muz_j Registered

thanks - that's a good idea. I'll give it a go.
    I've tried the C11 at Brianza on the 10K oval and the surface isn't smooth enough for that car. Open wheelers are fine, but none are geared for more than about 370 kph. The Sauber's too rigid or something. Even backing off the suspension damping isn't enough. Maybe if I practise more, I might get it, but so far I've had about 5 ridiculous crashes at about 375 or so on the oval section. The car jiggles around, you correct a little bit, the front or rear lightens a bit, then holy shit, you've got a crazy spin that turns into rolling, into the air and I typically end up in the trees outside of the racing track :)

10. FatCity

FatCity Registered

you could try a super sspeedway if theres any about , one of the 2 mile ones , I think California is 2 miles and I think Indy cars hit 400 ks there in real life, but then I could be wrong lol.

muz_j likes this.
  11. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Yeah that was a good idea. Almost there - hit 397 kph at Talladega last night. Then changed the car settings and made it slower. Still got my original setup, so back for a few more laps there and at the other big ovals. I think if I can get the right setup and a good draft - 400 should be a piece of cake. Doesn't seem nearly as fast on an oval with nice constant radius corners either.
    Good idea though - thanks :)

12. Traveller

Traveller Member

I think I did it at Alabama/Talladega in a Dallara. I was in a draft. Maybe catching up to it. It was a year or so ago, though.

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You could also create a test track with a huge 2 km or so downslope to test. At 360 kph (100m/s), a 1000CV engine pushes a 1000kg car with an equivalent acceleration of 7,3 m/s2. A 15 degree slope would provide an extra acceleration of 2,5 m/s2, regardless speed.

For the car you need to have appropriate gear ratios. Reducing drag aero coefficient would also help a lot.

Under those conditions it should be possible to conclude if rF2 can surpass 400 kph

14. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I could have a look at that I guess. I might have a read of track making tutorials - as I've never attempted that, so I'll start with the basic documentation to get my head around it.
    I'm 99.9% sure that rFactor 2 will top 400 kph in the right conditions. That video previously showed a jet powered car in rF 1 exceeding 400, so that's one point. The car I'm trying to do it in - the Sauber Mercedes C11 has a real world top speed of 407 kph, but that's in ideal conditions. The C9 that is was based on did a genuine 400 on the back straight of Le Mans, but that was prior to the 2 chicanes being inserted - so the straight was a crazily long length. You can get a good idea by driving it as is - then imagining you don't need to take those 2 chicanes. And I hit 395 on Targa Florio - that's got a pretty long straight, but not quite enough. And I've now done 397 at Talladega with the C11 too. So almost, but not quite.
    So I firmly believe it's doable - just tricky. It might be do-able on Le Mans with a draft - which I haven't managed to pull off properly, but I have seen someone use that trick in Project Cars in a C9 and they just topped 400 before hitting the tyre wall.
    ...I'll get there, but I'm not going to cheat or modify a car's specifications or model to achieve it.
    I've actually just thought of something which might make a significant difference too (I've noticed I'm quite a bit quicker than even the other Group C cars at 100% difficulty at Talladega - likely due to gear ratios etc - but I could assign the AI my car's setup and increase their speed above 100% to make them quicker)....hmmmm... more playing around later I think.
    But I think I'll do some circuit racing first.

15. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Well that was the trick. 407 kph hit at Talladega in the Sauber Mercedes C11. I applied my car's setup to the AI car's - bumping their speed up quite a bit, then drafted one in the first corner - 407 with very little effort. I suspect there's a little more I can get, but the main challenge is balancing the car's engine cooling with the radiator cowl setting - too much and the drag kicks in, too little and it's prone to over heat quickly once you start hitting about 390.
    Anyway, that's a totally pointless goal achieved.
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody :)

16. whitmore

whitmore Registered

17. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    muz_j likes this.
  18. muz_j

muz_j Registered

19. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

It has the chicanes, but i removed tirewalls!
    I removed obstacles so that you can use the long straight, and did new AIW file. But I don't have permission from the authors to share this modification. :oops:

muz_j likes this.
  20. ruhl442

ruhl442 Registered

please a question in this context for rFactor1 : In post no. 16 I see a digital speed display in the cockpit. I don't have this in rFactor1. From where you get this upgrade? The mod is : SportPrototypes v2.2 (rFactor1) by Virtua_LM