Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thats one of my fav threads on RD actually... Thanks for bringing it up.

I believe that both ways to check the torque are correct in their own way, because two differrent behaviors are tested.

In the end, to me the more realistic scenario is the non-linear result. Which I seem to feel in every sim... that's why I would like to see a tool for this.

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

That's a really interesting thread. Many (many!) years ago I used a similar home-brew contraption and kitchen scales to measure the torque of a G27 and T500RS (2.5Nm and 5.0Nm respectively, if I remember correctly).

3. fab06

fab06 Registered

hi all

i've got a TS-PC RACER and the FFB give me just all the (heavy) Vertical force (Bumper/flat tires/Bump of track) and nothing on lateral or longitudinal force (dont feel nothing when i turn or slip / nothing when i break and do flat) but i feel the rear of the cars with this steering wheel compare to my old G27..

i have take the ts-pc racer base profile json and i try to change value on it but nothing good for the moment .. so i run on ACC or RRE and the FFB is fine with it but the RF2 FFB is Flat and boring , if someone have find the good Setup to feel something other than the Bump with TS-PC Racer , i will take the value ! !

4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That is interesting. That is pretty much what AC feels for me.
    I've been playing around with PC1 and it is amazing how different I can make it feel with it complicated FFB settings.
    Most important is the braking traction point from side to side. And without it, it just feels like an icy slide, which is what AC feels like to me.
    I would like to try some different setups for sure.
    Sorry I can't help with rF2. It just works for me.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Try these settings

1. Thrusmaster Control Panel

1.1. Overall forces = 100%

1.2. Contant and Periodic = 100%

1.3. Spring and Damper = 0%

2. Ingame settings

2.1. Filter = 0 (OFF)

2.2. Vehicle set = yes

2.3. Car Specific FFB Mult = put a number wich allow very low clipping for the car.

2.4. FFB Min Torque : depends of the wheel + the overall forces.

deni80s likes this.
  6. fab06

fab06 Registered

it s not really different from what i have .. still missing the first force i need in a sim : the Grip/Slip force ( lat/long ) ! !

is someone can explain me or know a tutorial for setup the different force in the Json ? ?

i have change this value :
    "Force Feedback":{
    "Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":-10000,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":0.8,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

But with no effect in the steering wheel

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

I think most of those lines are leftover of ancient FFB technology. At the present moment RF2 FFB "simply" transfer the torque on the steering rack, a force that is calculated by physic engine, without baked effects to enrich it. For this reason those lines have no impact on FFB, there is no baked "braking" effect. and so on.

sherpa25 likes this.
  8. fab06

fab06 Registered

ok .. if i understand you , Without a DD , i can go run in ACC/RRE and all others Sim but i will never had a good FFB on RF2 with my basic steering wheel ? ?
    :cool: :confused:

9. Comante

Comante Registered

I have a G27 too, yes it's old, yes it's quite weak, but you can still squeeze out a lot of fun from your G27 just tweaking some basic setting, : FFB multiplier and minimum torque (within RF2).
    So, revert to the default setting in all those files you messed up.
    then, depending on the car, you will set the FFB multiplier somewhere around 0.65 . minimum force may depend a bit on the condition of your wheel, I set mine at 8%.
    In the logitech profiler the force is 100% and all other values are set to zero.

I think this is probably the best you can do to your wheel to have a meaningful FFB range. I honestly would like to have the money to buy a more modern and powerful wheel, but in all honesty, a better wheel won't make me faster, and FFB is quite entertaining even if it's not too strong.
    BUT depending on content (car/track) you can raise the FFB multi a bit here and there, truth is: modern racetrack with modern racecar are FFB boring, at least on the straights, this because our wheels can't make us feel those subtle forces. Or better, you could feel them but at the first turn the wheel would be FFB saturated and you won't get nothing useful from it. Tracks like Sebring or Nurburging (the long track, not the F1 part) are very rich and detailed even for us weak wheels owners. So do not despair, there is hope even for us. :D

jimagn likes this.