Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

There is a warning at iRacing forum to never rely into a unique run of WheelCheck. I do a minimum of 3 "stable" runs before accept as valid data. Using this procedure, both the MaxBaseOffset and the graphed data will show us the same result. Since these are a maximum, I begin setting STM at 50% of that value, followed by a short stint for validation. To my particular preference, I avoid to pass the MaxBaseOffset to STM since I it will make a FFB-hole at low forces.

I think Axe has a good wheel and no issue! About his data plot, I suppose he could gain even more setting the Profile a bit higher. What do you think?

2. Axe

Axe Registered

nothing changed from the start of the discussion, I use the same settings for a long period. I updated the driver about 2 weeks ago but I did not recognize any change regarding wheel behaviour
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-in-the-Zone-D?p=261413&viewfull=1#post261413
    I will try another runs, maybe tomorrow or on Monday.

What do you mean exactly?

3. conrel

conrel Registered

Omg. 8:03 in Megane here. (Driving Nords for a few days now though) ;)

sent via Tapatalk

4. conrel

conrel Registered

I'm a bit confused with the telemetry plugin and wheelcheck. The latter doesn't seem to produce any output for plotting. Am I supposed to take the data from the plugin and plot it in LibreOffice or Excel? And the wheelcheck is only for estimating the 'right' stm?

Sry for asking presumably basics but this is not yet clear to me :]

sent via Tapatalk

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

You should try the United Racing Design cars. They are one of the best. If not THE best.

8:03 is not too bad.

6. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Ok, old rF1 veteran here, checking how rF2 is doing these days.

I have a Logitech Drving force pro. After downloading the plugin, reading the OP's suggestions and testing a bit I have set TSM to 3.3%, FFB strength is 77% (for the Megane) and smoothing to 1. The thing I like most is that for instance on Loch something track in the long multi apex right hand corner you can really clearly feel the car wiggle over the bumps through the steering wheel. It feels very lively with these smaller forces. My pace isn't great yet, but I don't have much clue what temperature values for the tires to aim for yet, so that's prolly the reason. Thanks to the the OP for posting this. This is the controller file, no idea if there is room for improvement:

[ Force Feedback ]
    Type="1" // Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble/gamepad 4=custom
    Ignore controllers="0" // Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)
    Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)
    Steering effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)
    Off-road multiplier="0.15000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)
    Steering torque filter="2" // Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)
    Steering torque per-vehicle mult="0.75000" // Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)
    Steering torque zero-speed mult="0.30000" // Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque
    Steering torque sensitivity="1.00000" // Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high
    Steering torque minimum="0.03300" // Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction
    Steering torque extrap time="0.01500" // Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)
    Steering torque extrap blend="0.00000" // Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)
    Steering resistance type="0" // 0=use damping, 1=use friction
    Steering resistance coefficient="0.10000" // Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    Steering resistance saturation="0.10000" // Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0
    Steering spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Steering spring saturation="0.10000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Rumble strip magnitude="0.00000" // How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    Rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    Rumble strip pull factor="1.50000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
    Rumble strip update thresh="0.05000" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
    Jolt magnitude="1.50000" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
    Throttle effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Throttle effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
    Throttle spring coefficient="0.10000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Throttle spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Brake effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Brake effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Brake spring coefficient="0.30000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Brake spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Clutch effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Clutch effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Clutch spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Clutch spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Gearbox effects strength="10000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)
    Gearbox effects on steer axis="0" // 0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    Gearbox spring coefficient="0.00000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)
    Gearbox spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)
    Other spring coefficient="0.20000" // Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers
    Other spring saturation="1.00000" // Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers

Logitech profiler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  7. conrel

conrel Registered

Hmm just tried the Bayro which is extremly Mord stabile around the center. So I want to get the Telemetrie Plugin to run for figuring things out but it simply doesn't produce any output. I put the file into the Plugins folder, set Logging in the resulting INI to True and even reactivate it ingame with pressing 'G' but there is nothing in the UserData. Not even the Telemetry folder... ??

sent via Tapatalk

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's because it goes in your :\rFactor2\UserData folder. ;)

Output files are then put in the :\rFactor2\UserData\Log\Telemetry folder.

9. conrel

conrel Registered

.../Log/... thats a different dir as discribed in the txt file ;)

K i got it now - thanks :)

sent via Tapatalk

10. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I have set my minimum torque to 9.7%. It starts oscillating at about 10%. G25.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DrR1pper you seem to be extrememly knowledgeable on all this stuff and also have a lot of experiencing testing. Is there any chance you could provide us a list/chart of your own "optimal" FFB settings for each car?...So T500RS control panel setttings (am I correct in assuming that you leave it at 70%, 100%, 100%, 0%, 0%, 1080 degrees, for every car?) + in-game FFB multi + STM + any other controller adjustments (controller.INI, etc.)?

I'm sure many would greatly appreciate it.

12. conrel

conrel Registered

7:07.044 @Nords in the Bayro - damn that was fun! But I'm still confused why the handling around the center is so much different compared to the Megane for instance...

The problem regarding my rig (Logitech Formula Force EX) as stated earlier in this thread seems to vanish in this car with nothing having changed in the settings. Not only the slight oscilliation disappears completely now, also the steering is much better. The Megane pulls me to either side (even on the straight line to the start/finish @nords) in an oscilliating fashion, the ingame wheel steers but I am not!! So it feels like the center of this wheel is broken which can't be, because other sims work well (and the bayro now as well). Something underneath is working against me there ;)

So I would like to plot the telemetry data in order to compare both cars (finding the right setttings for both of them).

newtonpg, would you mind giving some hints, how you correlate the SteeringArmForce with FFB? Did you use 'R' or any other statistical software or just Excel?! :)

13. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I wonder when someone talented enough will change some of these line values to get rid of g27 rattling in F2

14. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

15. Axe

Axe Registered

done.
    but more questions than answers.
    I did 3 passes for GT2 rim and 3 for Formula rim.
    Only first pass with GT2 rim was "succesful" and showed no deadzone. The rest, 2 passes with GT2 rim and 3 with Formula rim had normal deadzone similar to that in the graph in OP. For this moment I will set STM just before start of oscillating and will use it that way. Probably it will be necessary to set different value for formula rim I have not played with it till now but the its graphs show slightly wider deadzone than the 2. and 3. GT2 rim graphs.

16. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

You're driving the Ring for how long? A few days? Either you're a brilliant driver or I just suck at it. Both might be true. I'm driving the Ring since GT4 came out and that's...almost 10! years now...OMG... I'm old. :(

You may want to sign up here to compare laptimes with other drivers. See this thread to see what it's about.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

@Spinelli

70% overall, 100% constant & periodic, 0% damper and spring. 900 degrees (default value and never needed to touch it as rf2 controls it per car).

I don't drove many cars and of those i do remember:

Megane: 0.75-0.77
    Panoz: 0.84
    Karts: 1.0
    60's F1 0.75-0.77

Sorry, i really can't remember them off the top of my head and i can't check for you for about a month. :s

18. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Nothing to add. Just clicked in reply quote to login. :)

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The F1 kart works fine on 1.0 but I found the Junior to offer clipping on fast swooping corners.

20. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Wow, just what I was looking for.

Going to check this later, I want more force when driving the karts. A bit dull now for me with default settings with an G25.