GTX 1080 ti struggles!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I "HAD" 100% usage on an 6th Gen i5 !
    50% on 7th gen i7 !

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

My 4th gen I7 4770k has 35-40% CPU usage and 8th gen I7 8700K 25-30% ;)

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Put a 6th gen i5 in and try again ;) you keep referring to your i7 :rolleyes: thats my whole point , i5 was getting saturated !
    My 6600k was close to 100% but 7700k is less than 50% .

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Using Task Manager !

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I keep referring to single core performance and when CPU don`t bottleneck.
    When you are using task manager I think you are looking the highest core usage but that is not CPU usage. If you look my post #200
    (pic 5) you can see that CPU #2 is 83% but CPU usage (processor) is 13%.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

lol , my point is that the 4 core CPU gets to 100% while the 8 thread only gets to less than 50% and it shows in minimum fps in rF2 !
    You have tested single core performance which is pretty much the same at same frequency but while the PC is running games and all other tasks mostly on the first two cores the games suffer ! but as you only test on hyperthreaded CPU's you haven't seen the disadvantage the 4 core has without hyperthreading .

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This is my i7 CPU with rF2 paused ! Look at the maximum usage .
    Even my i7 shows very high usage with only rF2 been running .
    Just image only having 4 cores now .

Attached Files:

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Do you see the difference in this pic, current, minimum, maximum, my 8700k vs your 7700k?

8700k CPUID.jpg

9. Louis

Louis Registered

I think Ari is trying to say and it seems you kind agree but no so much, that happen not because of Rf2 since rf2 only uses same number of cores in both processors.
    It wont hurt rf2 performance if your system is running light, optmized but in an non optmized system with antivirus, anti malware, anti christ.... running in the background like it seems you were on, processor will suffer.
    At least its what im understanding

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

My system is just a PC that has Win 10 "as is" (probably like most) , only windows defender antivirus and apps to monitor PC and heaps of games !
    I did see greater performance when my CPU wasnt sitting pegged at 100% like it was with the i5 ! I haven't had another gen i7 to test but going from 6th gen i5 to 7th gen i7 improved performance !
    Simple , whether you agree or not , it's fact , on my PC which is just a standard PC that hasn't had any special performance / optimisation tweaks like im sure most PC's are !
    I'm not sure what changed optimization wise when i swapped out the i5 to i7 but if it wasn't the processor that improved my performance i sure wish i knew what it was so i could market and sell it ! Intel and nVidia should be told about it also because we wont need to buy new hardware if this is something that a tweak here or there does ;)
    So i guess if someone has a standard win 10 unoptimized PC getting a i7 will improve performance over a i5 and if you tweak the OS a i5 will do ??
    o_O

Louis likes this.
  11. Louis

Louis Registered

What i call optimized system is running the basics, non optmized is, in my view, when you had like rivaturner, cccleaner, gpu temp, cpu temp monitors, etc... like a lot of extra background tasks.
    Your old system, like you said, seems to be like mine, only basic stuff
    We can't analyze your old system but we can analyze how rf2 works related to processors (like how much it affect 1, 2, 3 or 100 cores)
    As i understand, if i had 2 cores and rf2 100% of 1 (example), the other one will do rest and eventually, depending how it works, will use the core game is using giving you a bad performance.
    If you put 99 cores over that, depending on the "nature" of the cores, it wont give you a better rf2 performance but others tasks probably will not affect rf2 performance.
    But what you need to clean up in a basic windows installation to make a i5 running good is beyond me. Maybe a linux system :D
    * when i said we cant analyze your old system is for ramdom problems like ecar tracks had recently with gpu slot running pcie at low speed. If we doesnt know what was causing his performance issues (malfunction in pcie), could we say his old processor isnt enough for rf2 just because he did an hardware upgrade and everything started to run smooth?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Should this thread be renamed to "CPU Struggles"?
    :p

Max Dralle and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

When Ari gets in a thread that's always how it goes lol

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

@2ndLastJedi If you want to conduct a proper test, disable HT from BIOS and run rF2 again with 4 cores on the i7 7700K. I still think it's only the frequency bump from i5 to i7 that makes a difference unless you have a heavily threaded game. In non-threaded applications the performance between i5 and i7 is 1:1.

Ari Antero likes this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Im actually running my 7700k at 4.5 while my 6600k was at 4.6 !
    Ive done the tests as much as care anymore , all i care about is i got it running better now than then and all i did was install more games and add more threads !
    You figure it out ;)

16. Louis

Louis Registered

"works for me" isnt a scientic claim that could help others with similar issues but this is how i roll too lol

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your 6600k had something weird going on, your occupancy wasn't at all normal so I don't think any reasonable conclusions can be reached. Fair enough you don't really care, I doubt I would either with new hardware doing the job, but you shouldn't be entering CPU performance related discussions armed with your single anomalous example.

If 4 cores were such an issue my Q8200 (single thread performance less than half current gen CPUs, even with an overclock) would have been useless in rF2 a long time ago. I never had 100% CPU utilisation in task manager.

Ari Antero and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Guys, OP @2ndLastJedi has stated that i5 6600k with 1080ti have 100% CPU usage and that i5 6600k with 1080ti was getting saturated in rF2.
    I think that there are many in this forum with 4th gen CPU wondering if they should upgrade CPU to get better better FPS in rF2 and I don`t think that statement that you need better CPU than i5 6600k in rF2 is fair and should be answered.

Louis likes this.
  19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

meh nvm, waste of time lol

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Did you remember VR ?
    Talk about spamming a thread about GPU with CPU talk , lol
    But i'll agree with Will ! Meh ;)