GTL 2 .......what would you like to see.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by DurgeDriven, Feb 14, 2016.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Hillman Imps, Cortinas, Minis on Cadwell. Sim heaven. Although after paying into various early access schemes, pcars, ac and paymods, with none of them delivering what they promised, I'll probably sit this development out until I'm sure the sim fits my requirements. I really hope it succeeds and I also hope it uses the isi engine.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If that was dated 2016 you may as well just punched me in the face. :D lol

If it drives anything like AC or pCars you can forget me :rolleyes:

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I understand what GT Legends was. But I'm going to be honest, to me that reasoning always seemed like a justification to re-use assets. If you have to redo all your assets anyway, and there's not financial gain to re-using modern tracks, why not go with historic tracks? Guess I'm not a very sentimental person. It holds no soft spot that this is the way it was done with the first game (for unsaid reason above). It'll be a no-brainer purchase for me if it has classic tracks. If not, I feel I've got enough classic cars in my "garage" with the current sims. I'm just missing more high quality classic tracks. That's what'll sell me or not.

4. David Wright

David Wright Registered

I wonder how many people who are asking GTL 2 to take the same approach as GPL and give us the teams, cars, drivers and tracks from the 60s have actually looked at the championships back then. For example, the 1965 World GT championship took place over 17 locations including 4 hill-climbs, Spa, Le Mans, the Nurburgring and the Targa Florio. Great tracks no doubt but no developer could afford to produce them all or produce them in a sensible time-scale.

I also wonder if an ISI track maker could comment on the work required to produce a historic track compared to a current track. You would think that the CAD package or laser scan available for modern tracks coupled with the relative ease of being able to take photos of the real thing for textures etc would make it easier to produce a current track. I suppose it depends on how different the current track is from its historical counterpart. In the UK, the current Oulton Park and Brands Hatch are not too far removed from their historic counterparts and of course Goodwood is largely untouched. In GTL, Donington Park, Dijon, Anderstorp and Mondello Park are close to their 70s counterparts.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The answer is easy....

Updates/overhaul/changes/evolution etc. of the core physics engine. Not as in just using a later version of an ISI engine (eg. SCE), or using the RF2 engine, but updating of the core physics engine source-code (including, but not limited to, the tyre model) from the devs themselves or outside sources so we're literally not just playing another "mod" (AKA SCE) which, in the end, is still the same 'ol because of using the exact same core physics coding (I know Rieza now have the full license allowing them to modify pMotor and tyre engine, I was just using a quick example).

That's the only way to evolve games in my opinion - source code changes/updates/overhaul, or a new different core altogether, rather than having the underline coding stay the same. It's easy to tell which physics engine is being driven/played on regardless of how great or terrible the game/mod is, regardless what physics engine it's being run on (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, rFactor 1, etc.). Same core engine = same 'ol.

6. Travis

Travis Registered

I read that the developer is looking to use the Unreal Engine 4 ala KartSim based off a LinkedIn profile. Has anyone read anthing concrete about this?

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My reason for wanting gmotor is deeper then physics. :rolleyes:

I want talented historic modders to take up gmotor modding and conversions ! ( better late then never :) )

Then overtime more of them would also do work on rFactor2 and rFactor3 ( whatever it is called ) , etc. etc.

Simple logic, break that Asssetto Corsa umbilical cord. lol p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have no reason to doubt Zach's words about the driving capabilities, so it would be nice to see GTL 2 on that.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

KartSim doesn't use anything physics related from the unreal engine. From wht I understand, the Unreal Engine part is just like a dress on top of another core physics system underneath.

Then again, there must be connections between the physics engine and the graphics engine so I don't think it's as simple as I worded it above. Maybe the fact he's using the Unreal Engine now does indeed affect/change some things from the physics' point of view? Hmmm, I'd really like to ask Zach.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Unless any of these other engines have " Car Tuning and parts that work mechanically and aerodynamically " ..............it will be lame.

Tuning and parts is a BiG part of ISI engines.

Personal opinion and do not take lame as lame. lol

It is like I said AC cars " you drove one you drove them all"

Not meant to be taken literally..........it is a figure of speech. :rolleyes:

11. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Being an Aussie of 58 years, some of the older and unused aussie tracks like Adelaide International Raceway, Warwick Farm, Amaroo, Lakeside, Baskerville, Calder Park and the main one, the original Sandown.
    As for cars, Porsche 917-30, Audi 90 IMSA, Ferrari 330 P4, GT40, D Type Jag, M8 McLaren and other Can Am cars, Full set of F5000 cars of the Lola T400 era, 16 cylinder BRM F1 car, Cooper Climax 1961 Brabham car , 1983 Mustang GTP and a Full CART car series.
    Just because its GTL, doesn't mean that it has to be all Cortinas and Minis lol.

I know these tracks are out there but not really up to RF2 standard and I'm not a modder lol.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Maybe there's Havok somewhere. Anyway, what would talking about it tell you?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

gmotor, gmotor, gmotor lool

It is the only thing give any semblance to real physics chassis and tyres and has the best FFB. Come on guys !!! We talking Historic cars

If GTL was AC 1/2 the cars would drive the same.

I bet there are some of you think this new NFS will be better physics too...........

dream on lol :)

14. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

gMotor is the graphics part of isiMotor, while pMotor is the physics part http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well it would be really cool to know if it's honestly as simple as that. If changing graphics engine (and possibly other parts of the source code) lterally makes not even 0.0001% of a difference to physics.

Back to GTL. GTL was the sim I spent most time playing in my life. It's the only game I played so much offline thanks to having to work your way up to faster cars and biggers tracks. The career mode was simple but very, very effective. What a fantastic game. The only thing that ruined it for me and caused me to move on was when i finally got triple screens - it's the same reason I barely touch R3E and PCars. I'm going reinstall GTL next week, get a 350 - 380 mm rim for my OSW, and start Career mode from the very beginning :)

17. stonec

stonec Registered

In theory you can do this. rF2 engine runs one physics thread and one graphics thread. Neither are connected to each other so what you feel for example in FFB is not dependent on some delay in graphics computation, as it should be. I think R3E and pCars have also done this, from what I've read both use some old pMotor code for physics, but have built their own graphics engine above that.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes but I don't think R3E or PC can be used as an example because they are allowed to change physics too so who knows what may have changed or not changed. Not only that, but did R3E literally delete every line of source code of the ISI graphics engine and "cut and paste" an entirely different gfx engine in? Or did they modify the source code of the graphics engine into what they have now?Also, there needs to be all sorts of connections between the physics and graphics since they are connected to a certain extent. What if you wrote some parts of code that the new graphics engine doesn't understand? Or maybe it makes things freak out? I bet you there had to be quite a bit of modifications to coding when Zach decided to change graphics engine.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I just find the subject in general quite interesting and would love to maybe one day talk to a source-code programmer - the guys who really deal with all the nitty-gritty of core-programming (for eg. the guys at ISI who actually work on the pure source code of physics buried in the EXE file that none of us can ever see rather than the guys/modders who create cars/content, well unless they're the same guys but you know what I mean :) ).

If I find some cool links regarding all this, I'll shoot you a PM (so as to stay on topic in here) :)