GTE cars sound suggestions & feedback.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sim_Player, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

Hello,
    I wanted to give my suggestions and feedback on sound of 2 GTE cars

1.Ferrari 488 GTE :

*External sound is missing turbo flutter

*External sound is missing backfire on upshifts and downshifts.

Here is a good video:

2. Corvette C8R :

*Onboard sound is quite muted for big NA engine
    Basically only complaint about C8R is onboard sound, it needs some flat plane scream. Like a 458 BUT low revving.
    The intake sound of V8 should be more pronounced but in-game the transmission whine takes over major portion of output. You can see in IRL onboard video how much clearer,throaty the V8 sound is in cockpit. IRL V8 takes major portion of sound output with little bit of transmission whine.

Here is a video:

The characteristics in RF2 is there but the raspy nature of flat plane V8 is less pronounced. It should sound something similar to 458 or loud TWO 4-cylinder revving together.

Please take this into consideration, as for me and many other sounds IS very crucial aspect of a car.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    RaceNut likes this.
  2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I agree with the need for audio updates in rF2 however, I think the issues extend far beyond car sound-samples and volume levels alone. Of course, within the context of rF2 audio and content, your criticism is totally justified. As good as rF2 can be to drive, some of the car sounds can be a big detractor, especially where immersion is concerned.

Most Sim's having success with Racing audio are either using a custom sound engine (iRacing / RaceRoom) or use F-mod (AC / ACC). A lack of proper refinement in Pcars-series audio defies it's use of F-mod, imo.

At best, rF2 audio may need a version update and re-integration pass to have the car audio working as good as it can but, that process likely requires other game aspects be updated first (Drive-train physics model, for example). The slow pace of progress with rF2 in general, suggests that could take quite some time.

From a sound-mod standpoint, AC fairs far better than rF2 due to it's use of F-mod. There are many great sound-mod's for AC content created by multiple community members. Perhaps it would be worth-while to replace rF2's Miles sound-engine with F-mod at this point although, I suspect any path is not an easy one for developers. If the mod community were to play a part in improving the car-sounds in rF2, F-mod seems the far better choice.

Sim_Player and R.Noctua like this.
  3. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

Yea,i agree that kunos have overall better execution in sound department.
    Although i must say that sounds in RF2 are very good too. C8R onboard sound for example has right characteristics,tone etc just needs some rebalancing to get "good enough "
    The engine is muted too much compared to transmission also there is this undescribable air/wind like sound as if the car is turbo.
    I don't know how to describe it in proper sound engineering terminology, i tried my best.
    Regarding 488 it is straight up missing the pops and turbo flutter(if thats what it is called as), i believe it can be added to existing sound of 488.

4. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

I want to a make this separate post for sound team here at RF2.
    For me personally the cars i have own or seen videos of have very very good sound overall.
    Just some of these small "issues " if you guys could take into consideration that would make RF2 much better.
    You guys pretty much nailed the C8R exterior sound (C7R is masterpiece).
    Heading into right direction, just taking some this feedback into notice will put rf2 toe to toe with best in simulator market.