GTE cars handling issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KCW, May 22, 2020.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Perhaps the lack of ABS is the biggest factor

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That might be true in a tight track like the Long Beach Street circuit, but in real life, the GTE's are usually at least 2 seconds faster per lap. There is no real gap at all now, at least for the AI, and many users have stated they achieve faster times with the GT3 cars. So either the GTE are underpaced, or the GT3 is over-optimistic.

3. KCW

KCW Registered

Given my comparable times on ACC id say it is the former, more so than the latter.

And i would further say it is a lack of grip that seems to be what is holding me back, whether i can get that from the setup so far remains to be seen. Will take some pretty radical adjustment away from stock tune though.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I was only referring to GTE being more demanding - AFAIK that's mostly because lack of ABS. I know they are a little faster than GT3 IRL.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The OPs observations are nothing new.

The GTE in rF2 are excessively tailhappy under fast lift-off situations (excessive lift-off oversteer is a general annoying behaviour of all newer content in rF2), suffer from low engine inertia, as if there is a motorcycle engine reving and archieving pretty strange differences in laptimes.
    When using a low drag aero kit, ensure having a veeery good rake optimization and try to play with pre-load and stiffer front suspension. Also tyre pressure to minimum.

GTE is totally broken since the BoP update back then...ruined this entire class for me in rF2. Another step backwards in favour to all this fancy multiplayer competition stuff (i mention it too often already), in my opinion.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. KCW

KCW Registered

Well i made some rather extreme changes to the setup and got the Porsche to handle somewhat better,

• softened up the rear significantly
    • reduced diff preload
    • added more rear downforce
    • reduced both front and rear camber
    • reduced front tyre pressure
    • raised rear tyre pressure
    • softened front and rear sway bars
    • raised front ride height
    • reduced brake pressure force %
    • reduced traction control

All that made the car significantly more stable, however it is still giving the feeling of a rear end that doesn't want to stay planted.

I managed a low 3:55, but i was in traffic during that lap, and did get held up slightly coming into Indianapolis.

Video to come.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  7. CrimsonEminence

Out of interest:
    How does it feel, if you excessively increase pre-load in comparison?

8. KCW

KCW Registered

There is a couple places there i can improve a little.

guga_cyr likes this.
  9. KCW

KCW Registered

I found it would understeer quite badly in low and mid speed turns, and wanted to step the arse out worse whenever it did let go.

Through Porsche curves it would start a slide a lot easier with a higher preload.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  10. CrimsonEminence

Okay, thanks! Interesting.
    So the pre-load settiing behaves quite expectable under throttle, but catches nervosity under lift-off and transition to it (the least is, what i would expect from a lower pre-load, instead of higher tbh).
    BUT: i somewhat got the same impression.

And this is something, i don't understand, because i always expect the higher pre-load to leave the diff in a locked state longer, also under braking/coasting torque.

It seems to me, as if the engine is overcoming the pre-load so heavily, that the car opens up the diff under lifting and even neutral throttle application quite immediately.

11. franser

franser Registered

Engine inertias are best felt in GT3s, revs are not reduced as fast. The GT3 cars after the update for the gtpro championship feel and drive wonderfully, hopefully with the next bop the gte cars will be back to match

12. CrimsonEminence

Even in the GT3, it's quite low (on throttle it still "jumps" a bit, off throttle it's butter), but better, yes. They are by far not my favourite GT3 in sim racing, though.
    EDIT: They are definetly better, after refining my setup on Sebring for the 720 right now. Still a tad too slidey for my liking, but pretty close to what i would expect from a GT car now.

I don't think, GTE will receive an update soon...it's been months since S397 has mentioned on Discord (just seen a screenshot), that they occasionally will look into that, but nothing has resulted in a change by now, not even an information about why the GTE cars behave so different in the forums, despite the reports of the cars being weird. (I really start to think, they have no clue, why it even changed)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. franser

franser Registered

It seems that things are changing, I just tried the new Ferrari 488 GTE launched by studio 397 and it drives like a real GTE the car is fast around the corner and the tail of the car does not feel as loose as the other gte cars. I hope it will be an improvement for all the cars in the pack endurance as the le mans 24hs is just around the corner

14. KCW

KCW Registered

Here is a lap in the new 488 GTE:

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You got some messed up skins on the other cars. both Vettes?

16. franser

franser Registered

The Ferrari feels like a real gte, I expect a good bop in the other cars, I don't know if it is my feeling but with the Ferrari I set lower times than with the other cars and more easily, it seems to be on rails

Griffin Johnson likes this.
  17. KCW

KCW Registered

Ummmm... what???

not that i noticed, they are not all S397 cars, and setting for them is on low. They all looked fine to me though.

18. KCW

KCW Registered

Did you use the Lemans aero pack or the standard?

it doesnt feel a huge amount better on the lemans aero pack to be honest, and time there is only marginally faster than in the Porsche.

It still seems to over heat the tyres very easily though, no matter which compound you put on it. That is an issue with the other GTEs too i noticed, and usually the cause of the sudden loss of rear end grip.

19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

The one you passed first looks like a graffiti artist got his hand to it, and the yellow one has half its car number almost inside the air intake at the front. Surely it isn't quite how it should be.

20. franser

franser Registered

If you try with the two aero le mans and standard packs and notice the same, the tires quickly heat up. What I do feel is that the car is more neutral has no nose or tail problems, it must be due to the central engine