GT7-like "license tests" in rF2: are they possible as a mod/plugin?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by coasting&cruising, Jul 24, 2022.

1. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

Do the current rFactor 2 modding and plugins capabilities allow to setup a "license test" challenges format, like those seen in GT7? This kind of tests are on a single or a few corners, and you pass the test if you go below a certain time and meet other conditions (like no cuts, not touching the grass at the Ring, a certain slip angle, or other stuff).

In theory, isolating a test on a single corner should be possible, it's like a very short rally stage / hill climb (which exist for rF2) from point A to point B.

The rF2 plugins capabilities should allow for checking how you drove, like the amount of slip angle you had, if you locked the tires, if you bottomed out, if you unbalanced the car, if your force feedback clipped, etc.

To compare with other sims, in AC there is a mod project for something similar: GT-Like Racing Driver License 1.0.1 . But the developer says in AC it's not possible to make a challenge on a single corner. So in that case his workaround is to use very short tracks (which could also be purposely build for this, either from scratch or "cut out" from existing tracks). Also, even though AC Evoluzione is a career mod, I don't think it has this kind of license tests.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I believe some, or part of what you mention, is planned for the Competition System. They have a new director for that unit, hopefully progress can arrive someday soon.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  3. coasting&cruising

Is that mentioned in any interview, discord chat, or elsewhere? I thought the competition system was supposed to be just multiplayer stuff..

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A plugin could certainly check vehicle telemetry to work out how the car is driven (with some specific criteria) and can show messages via the message center when the player is in the car.

The "mod" aspect, by which I mean presenting a customised interface and instructions in the UI, limiting access to certain content (like the tests, until passed) and giving on-screen feedback after each session, may be largely impossible.

You would need to build small stages (corners) and/or have multiple track versions (layouts) with different starting positions and perhaps utilise rolling starts (then rely on the user selecting the current layout and conditions), and the plugin could "press Esc" for the user at completion (as detected) to end the session.

So, kinda yes, but I wonder if it's worth the effort for that feature alone. May be more worthwhile to build a more generic driver training/feedback tool, aimed at specific circuits if necessary.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  5. coasting&cruising

Thank you, that is great info/feedback.

What about an overlay app (like simhub) while rF2 is in borderless mode. So the actual licence thing would be an externa app, working in tandem with rF2.

For this, from a developer point of view, I think it would be easier to just use existing tracks, maybe just adding more layouts to them that are limited to certain corners. The downside, from a user point of view, might be longer loading times (rF2 loading times :lol: ), when going from a challenge to another, because of using whole tracks.

One of the purposes of this would be to address the demand of all the users asking how can they improve their driving, why the gap from the aliens, etc. So I think it would be worth the effort to implement it, even from a business perspective if S397 decided to do it, because it could attract more users to rF2, make it more mainstream.

I'm not sure what you mean, could you elaborate? Maybe something that checks your telemetry during your regular driving, and gives you feedback / suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022