Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. I do not approve of the way he writes but yesterday I felt close ... there is another update in a few days for a class of cars which "forces" me (us?) to update the servers running.

I started and noticed that on fidgroves site the actual workshop version was still 3.55 instead of 3.57 - I gave it a try by downloading the items with steamcmd and ... surprise, surprise ... 3.55 still.

My client was updating to 3.57 in parallel - but on the server I am using I have little chance to run a steam client with rfactor 2 "client", so I need to stick to steamcmd.

Later that evening (around 11:00 o'clock gmt+1) I was able to download the updated items and to install it beside adjusting the mod packages for the server instances. Before that I had download errors, timeouts, missing items and so on.

I feel sorry for all of us ... and also for the devs, because IMHO this will not lead to more acceptance of rF2 in the simracing community and two or three days ago I noticed (again) the lack of documentation on newly released features.

What if a beginner (not simracing, but rF2) has to face all this? I would drop rF2 immediately or after a short time while trying.

What about all the leagues? Are their drivers forced to switch off updates? Can they do it completely by themselves? Or are the admins forced to update their servers, too, by this - sorry to say this - daily update politics?

Again ... I do not approve the way of aggressive / offending writing, but sometimes I can understand it ...

edit: I like to add that I am still aware that we are getting all these updates for free, but several things (and facts) do make me think it would be better to have more quality assurance because it would reduce (devs) work

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2023
    The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@StoneRacing I believe a properly configured mod will run fine with the older version of the cars (even if the new ones install on clients), which will give everyone time to download before the server is updated by admin. Of course it doesn't help new players, but a league will encounter this fairly often so players should be aware how it works.

On the language/tone, there's no invalid approach. From what I've read from some devs though, I really think their eyes glaze over with certain types of post and an issue could be completely unread. The tyre pressure increase one that Jan has posted about (somewhat vaguely) is a pretty major one, as it could very much ruin a race. Reporting it succinctly in the right place would be a good thing to do for someone interested in helping to have it fixed. The odd rant post every couple of weeks really isn't achieving much.

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think that a complaint on a random thread isn't a bug report and doesn't help anyone either. At least, it isn't a proper bug report.

Some people expect that their complaints are taken seriously maybe because they think everyone is affected but most bugs trigger only on certain situations and may need lots of info to be reproducible. These complaints usually expect the devs to already know what's wrong and go on about how lazy they're for not fixing it.

Think about how many hardware and software configurations are out there, and the many ways content can be mixed to produce different events. Testing complex software isn't a science, it's an art, and a very complex art. When there are so many variables, it would take an indefinite amount of time to test every possible combination.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  4. Basically I agree to you and you are right.

In this special case I should have mentioned that I have set up the server with steamcmd and following the guide for setting up dedicated servers with steamcmd and dlc content given / published by s397.

The command which failed was a simple

steamcmd +login anonymous +workshop_download_item 365960 <steamid of gt3 car> +quit

And it did not fail - it simply did not download the latest version of it, but still v3.55 - it seemed I had to stop the dedicated servers and run the command again, but this was one or two hours later on, so I am not sure if it was a "client" problem or a problem of "steam workshop" or something else.

I think - and I am not sure about at the moment - if the older versions of the car(s) are still stored on clients side the driver / client will still be able to join the server; but as far as I know older versions are being removed from the "installed" folder, so if the server is offering / requesting version 3.55 and the client has only versions 3.56 and 3.57 left ... the client won't be able to join.

A workaround would be to have older versions not being removed, but then we are driving different versions of cars on different servers, lets say and this would lead to more bug reports and son ...

You are right - I should have opened a bug report with detailed information ...

edit: missing terms added

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2023
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Old versions of cars are removed when the client has no mods/events using those cars. So for people already having jumped on your server, the cars won't disappear automatically.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  6. Thanks for information - I did not look close enough to figure it out ... :-(

7. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I read through all the entries in this thread, all 23 pages! Limiting the engine braking is one thing, but limiting the ability to use the throttle to balance the rear end through the corner and exit doesn’t seem like what might have been intended?

There was talk about mitigation through not using autoblip. It would be nice to know if this is fact true and to what extent(some cars, all cars?)? There was reference to adding more throttle initial dead zone. How much is dependent on your ankle range of motion, your pedal configuration, as well as how you have driven in the past. So the dead zone needed to make this work may need to be individualized to levels way past what you might think to be realistic! Even at 35% dead zone I wasn’t able to get consistently off throttle with my situation.

It would seem appropriate with all the controversy that answers to the following questions might be helpful:
    1) what do the rules actually say? The real teams and manufacturers get to see the rules. Why can’t we have some insight?
    2) Are there different ways to meet the rules?
    3) Did S397 opt for a single implementation solution for all cars, or do some cars have vehicle specific implementations?
    4) Is the implementation the same across all ratio changes? It also seems like 6,5,4,3 may be different from 3,2,1?

Some simple sharing of insights on what changes to rFactor 2 mean to users, can be a simple way to manage user expectations.

MotherDawg and SmellySkidmark like this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@smbrm fair enough on the info request, clarity is all anyone wants.

However, when you start talking about "ankle range of motion" and "how you have driven in the past" I call BS - zero throttle is zero throttle. If you need that (or close to it) to downshift, then go to zero throttle. It's not that hard.

The values they've used are in at least some of the car manuals as specifications. If you think those have the wrong intentions your issue is with the manufacturers. (yes, how often those values are used unmodified in competition, and how widespread those settings actually are among all the cars, fair questions again)

9. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

A number of GT3 got an update today v3.59 do we know what was updated

10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

GT3 Bop March 17 2023
    Aston Martin: +10kg
    BMW M4: -12kg
    Ferrari: +8kg
    McLaren 650s: -3kg
    McLaren 720s: -5kg
    Mercedes: +10kg
    Porsche: -10kg

Paulfield likes this.
  11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Bill Worrel likes this.
  12. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

13. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

The Steam sale officially ends March 23 at 1 PM PT.
    However I've seen rF2 items stay on sale for several days and even a couple of weeks after the sale ends.

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I just updated the GT3's that didn't have their versions updated with the last update, this should fix any mismatch errors.
    Audi R8 2018 3.59
    Audi R8 2019 3.59
    Bentley Continental 3.59
    Bentley Continental 2020 3.59
    BMW M6 3.59
    Callaway C7 3.59
    Radical RXC 3.59

Lars Otto, pkelly, OneMoreOdd and 2 others like this.
  15. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

FFS I've had to update my skin packs for my server and then upload them soooo many times lately (900MB each time), have you finished mucking about with the GT3's?

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Is it just me or did I just get another GT3 Bob? updated me again today:confused::rolleyes:

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you read the 2 posts above yours?

18. SCNR ... for today? Yes. I think. Maybe. Let's see. ;-)

JimmyT likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

of course I read it, on Sunday it was updated in my case twice, and Monday arrived and it updated again, maybe it was you who didn't understand the question? or who didn't read my question?... anyway...
    [​IMG]

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They got updated as noted above, then the ones that didn't change also got updated to 3.59 (Coutie had rebuilt all cars by habit, so there were 2 versions of 3.57 for those, causing issues).

You didn't mention a third update. You didn't mention any version numbers, you didn't mention the above posts to help explain your question.

Facepalm indeed.