Great American Truck Racing [WIP]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Johannes Rojola, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Howdy ya'll!

Now that our Chase USA mod is mostly in physics refinement phase, apart from some graphical adjustments and fixes I can talk little about my other personal modding project.

So what is Great American Truck Racing, G.A.T.R.? Well, true American semis with huge torque and power... racing on OVALS. That is a recipe for disaster and I love it. It is real world series that lived only few but very intense years back in early 80's, before it turned into smaller dirt track series. This mod tries to capture essentially the early years, when it raced at fast paved ovals such as Atlanta, Pocono and Dover. It ended soon as it resulted trucks crashing through concrete walls.

This is something I started 2 years ago, and was actually my first ever vehicle modding project for rFactor 1. Learning the tropes so to say. It got into a point where I had already few dozens of trucks with consisting such makes as Kenworth, Peterbilt, Ford, GMC and Corbitt. But I never released or advertised it as physics were not no way near what it should be. Not to say, this is not the easiest mod to recreate as any information of this series is scarce. But because the pure love for this, I keep diggin'!

I am currently remodeling and re-texturing these trucks for to look better, and at the same time looking for options how to work on physics to make these as realistic as possible. So no time frame is set, I just want this to be awesome.

Here are some old screenshots from rF1: (note I am rebuilding the models and textures :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. lbird

lbird Registered

Cool idea Johannes. The models look interesting, but the physics model for these beasts will be hard to get right. But on the other hand: While we have a good number of people with car racing experience here, please raise a hand if you ever raced a Peterbilt? Waiting...
    Still nobody? ;)

4. Johannes Rojola

It is difficult, but not impossible. We have stock Kenworth as a "rF2 test bed" for semi physics, once we get that as right as possible, it can be fixed into race version. Well that's pretty much what they did in the real world too. Luckily such things as engine data is available, and a lots of driver interviews where they describe how these trucks feel to drive.

Anyway, rF2 does not support six axle configurations anyway so there is one major draw back. But we do what we can with this. Better try and be sorry than not try and be sorry.

5. lbird

lbird Registered

It will be very interesting to see how the physics engine reacts to 6 contact patches on the road instead of four, indeed. Looking forward to that, sounds like a plan to me to evolve this around stock physics...

6. Johannes Rojola

7. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

yeah, this is nuts! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't watched it for myself on Youtube. They actually raced these things!?!?!

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

So much for green racing! Did you see the plume of smoke they put up when they started LOL. I hope rF2 can produce the same effect!

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Lol. Love it! I'm in y'all. I'll have to get one of those Elvis shirts (sunglasses are already back in style LOL) and drink several beers in advance and then crank the country music during the race along with my space heater to simulate the heat. :p

10. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

11. Johannes Rojola

The chassis' are built asymmetrically and skewed to perform better for turning left. But I can take a look if they can be easily converted in symmetrical setup suitable for road courses.

12. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Ok, thank you for your answer. I didn't know that chassis itself was asymetrically build....

13. Johannes Rojola

Starting to get close to finishing this Kenworth

[​IMG]

14. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Nice !
    I can't still imagine how to drive those big trucks on ovals :)

15. Yarach

Yarach Registered

Great Work man!!! Any news on the Chase USA mod? Can't wait to drive that huge gasburning bricks.

16. Johannes Rojola

It is pretty much in state of physics refinement and I am personally waiting final shaders for rF2 so that I can finalize the graphics part.

17. Yarach

Yarach Registered

Great to hear! We at MAK-Corp are also still working on the physics on the Classic Cars Mod.

18. Johannes Rojola

Slowly working (slow means with love :) ), here is WIP from interior

[​IMG]

And chassis ready to go:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  19. Johannes Rojola

[​IMG]

This picture here showing a twin turbo setup of Detroit Diesel 8V92. Also other engine options from Cummins and Caterpillar, with various base engines and turbo configurations.

20. Raggnator

Raggnator Registered

Fantastic job.I love trucks.