Great 2 hour race vs AI at Nordschliefe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Oct 27, 2017.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I am practicing for the upcoming P1 Gaming 24 hours of the Nordschliefe.
    For some night time racing and to practice making the right calls on transition from dry to wet to dry tyres I set up a race with AI. It was such brilliant fun I wanted to share the settings.

Track-, Nordschleife 2.01 by Pleclair, DJC, Tosch et al.
    Mod Apex modding GT3 960 incl the new Bentley.
    I drive the 911.

AI-Having started with untrained AI and found they were prone to pileups at the hairpin on gp circuit on lap 1 (giving me too many free passes ) and errors on the first 4th gear right hander when entering the Ring proper I used the method detailed on this site to train 1 ai with Autocalibrate set on 1.
    AI @100% and agression 25%. AI errors set at 2. (Or is that .2?)
    This worked a treat and no such pileups. One or two made errors but life like.
    Dry pace for the AI was about 8m44.
    I also use the fuel use setting for AI at 98% so they dont use too much fuel. Might try lower next time.

2 hour race. Race start was 4am with time x2. (Dawn at the Nords is spectacular)
    Weather: There are 5 weather segments. I made #2 overcast and #3 rain.

"Rules" Damage 80%. I start at the back and make no passes until we have entered the Nordschliefe proper. That way you dont get a bunch of free passes on the gp lap at the start. All passes need to be legal.

It was awesome! I had to pick them off one by one. In truth they lacked about 10kph top speed on the Dottinger Hoe so that was an easy pass but to be there you need a good lap.
    It was several laps before I had clear air and was in p6.
    The rain came and judging the drying line, looking after the wets so as not to overheat them, timed my switch to wet tyres correctly. Pace was similar to AI on wets.
    My transition back to dry tyres was also good and that's what got the win. The AI car in the lead stayed 1 lap too long on wets and was struggling.
    Prob 90 mins in b4 I had the lead.
    I won by 1m40 sec after 2 hours.
    I lapped one AI.

There were a lot of moments that made me smile or frown with little subtleties. Eg my outlap on wets an AI was catching me in s1. I thought bloody hell they are too quick on wets, but no once they were up to temp and my eye was in we were ok.
    The in lap on slicks with the track getting wetter was an excercise in feel and patience.
    Two AMG Mercedes lapping in tandem made me think of two divorced men with gold chains and hair transplants on their way to a wine bar.
    The Bentley is priceless for sounds and character. When near one at the Carousel and hearing it but not seeing it was wonderful.
    Seeing just headlights ahead when nearing a car is brilliant.

I also use Crewchief. He is also priceless.

Anyway there is a nice challenge for someone.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    TJones, Jon, Emery and 2 others like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

This must have been tiring.

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

If you like the nords I suggest you to use the laser scanned nords but there is not sudchliefe in there. http://www.internationalsimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=3813.0 download the V1 version

4. David O'Reilly

It will be interesting to try, thanks. I will have a look. Poss after the race.
    For the moment my purpose here is to prepare for a race and its on the one I have used. :)

5. David O'Reilly

A 2 hour stint is pobably about right for most in a 24 hour event. 1 hour is a bit short to get sleep between stints and you just start to get your rythm. You are pretty wired at the end.
    Plus in a 2 hour stint you start to get much better situational awareness of other cars " ok here is that BTCC Honda again"
    2 years ago I did the last 4 hours in the nords 24 event. Adrenaline keeps you going.

Jon likes this.
  6. muzikant

muzikant Registered

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

The laser scanned AC Nordschleife track ported to rF2 is indeed the most accurate version we rF2 users can get by now. Of course you are only allowed to use it if you bought the AC track. Its the only track i drive ATM because Nordschleife totally fascinates me! I really hope for an official laser scanned rF2 track released by S397 sometime. I would pay a lot money.

8. muzikant

muzikant Registered

How to get it??

I have bought the AC track

9. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

I bought it too. I've just tried to download it from ISR site and didn't face any problem. Have you tried this link to version 1.0?
    https://goo.gl/VPpf3z

10. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'm curious about that last statement. Are you sure about that? I also have the AC version so I'm not able to verify if what you say is true or not, but I'd be surprised if that's the case. The fact that RF2 version is ported from AC version doesn't mean they share components, they're completely separate entities as far as I know, tho I could be wrong.

11. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Thanks mate! I try :)

12. muzikant

muzikant Registered

the download is going well only windows tells me that the files are corrupt? when I try to open it

:oops::confused:

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

You're not supposed to open the file in windows. Just copy it to your \Packages folder, open RF2 launcher go to packages section and install it from there.

dadaboomda likes this.
  14. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Of course you don't need to own AC in order to use the track, he meant that is immoral to use if you don't own it.

15. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Thanks!! fsuarez79 it works!! :)

dadaboomda and fsuarez79 like this.
  16. Jon

Jon Registered

Congratulations on your two hour race. I'm a huge supporter of long-distance races; they require a completely different strategy and in my opinion a much better measure of a driver's talent than hot-lapping or sprint races. Great escapism too, especially when you're stressed from work. You can easily reach a meditative state where time flies by. rF2 has been perfectly setup for long-distance races as well with its tyre degradation, real-road technology and weather changes. It's also one of the best and enjoyable ways to learn and master a track.

David O'Reilly and bravotangosix like this.
  17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

muzikant likes this.