Graphics settings and crossfire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMattyOnline, Jan 26, 2017.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

So, my PC is a little underpowered with an AMD 6300, 990X motherboard, 16gig DDR3 and 2 X HD6850 GPU's.

I will eventually go VR, which will require a full rebuild, but until then it's probably going to get 2 more upgrades. A new single GPU, maybe a gtx1050ti, and an FX8350.

I've struggled to get any decent performance out of the RF2 engine, but have not given up, as it runs Iracing really well, albeit single screen at 1080p.

A common theme looking through the many debates about this was the poor job of anti aliasing and texture filtering that the ISI engine performs.
    So following some helpful advice, I've let the CCC overide all of the settings and it's transformed the game for me.
    Crossfire is working and scaling as well as I've seen (still a pain and not the same as 1 decent card) the graphics are much sharper and stuttering largely eliminated.

I'm now getting approx 120/140 fps on medium settings.

This is probably old news to many, but anyone new to the game, it may save you a whole evening of frustration!

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Need help please.

I refuse to give up on this game, it's too good!

I have a gone back to a single HD6850 and spent a couple of days adjusting everything to give a good compromise between visuals and performance.
    I'm happy to say that I can get a great visual experience now between high and medium settings, averaging between 50-70 fps.

I am however stuck with 1 last perplexing problem .

I can run 2 or 3 races with no stutter, decent frame rates and medium to high settings, but then I start to get stutter problems creep in. So, must be temperature related right?
    I have reset cpu and gpu to stock frequency and left the PC for an hour, come back and still really bad stutter.
    I then reboot my PC and immediately all the stutter is gone. So I'm thinking it has to be software related, maybe memory?
    My GPU is obviously a bit crap, and only 1 gig.

Can anyone shed any light on this, it seems to be the last hurdle.

That said, next month I'm going to be upgrading the GPU, possibly to a GTX1050TI or a GTX1060 3 gig.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes it´s most likely a memory problem. Too less of it. 1 GB VRam is really too less nowadays (at least for rF2).
    How much RAM you have on your motherboard?
    One screen I guess?

4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I have 16 gig DDR3 on the motherboard.
    Single screen yes @1080p

5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

All I can say is that I have a gtx 680 with 4gb. On high/max settings I also get stutters.
    Maybe it's time to swap the gfx card if I have enough money.
    Cheers

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Matty have you checked if your GPU-cooler is full of dust?
    Do this first please.
    Otherwise it is most likely too less VRAM.

7. VAustinElly

VAustinElly Registered

I have the Nvidia GeForce 750 and I have everything in rf2 set to low or off altogether and I still get stuttering. It's nothing that shows during a race only in the replays.

8. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Okay, checked and it's nice and clean.

The fact that the stuttering clears and I get a few decent races before it returns leads me to suspect it is the vram.

I'm going to replace my GPU.

On a single screen at 1080, I assume a GTX 1050ti will be okay?
    The GTX 1060 is quite a bit more and possibly overkill for my setup.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

1050Ti is super. Do it!

10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Interestingly, and hopefully a good sign of things to come, I have no such issues in iRacing, which is running on DX11.

This can't come soon enough !