[Graphics] Independent POVs for mirrors

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Marek Lesniak, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Basically, current view for all mirrors comes from one point of view (POV). That is ok for middle mirror, but it won't work for side mirrors. Why? Because in most cars they are too far away sideways and they can't show what they should, in proper way.
    Take a look at this picture. We have a car and all 3 views, for each mirror. With current functionality, you can't see sides of your body in side mirrors. That's impossible (due to only one POV beeing used for all 3 views):

pic1.jpg

But, if we could use 3 independent POVs, then we'd be able to setup side mirrors to show, what they supposed to:

pic2.jpg

Now, we are able to setup them to show sides of car body and they target also in the proper direction.

I understand, having 3 independent views instead of just one, will be more resource heavy but is it not the same like with HDR, dynamic shadows and all the stuff we already have in rF 2?

I think, we need that 3 POVs. But the question is not, can ISI optimise it but how. iRacing already have 3 independent POVs for mirrors and performance hit is not big... that means, it can be done.

Currently, the engine generates one big 180* view for mirrors. We map parts of that view onto our mirrors.
    With 3 POVs, instead of generating 180* for each of them and then pick parts of it, maybe we should define for each POV, how wide the view should be (matching real car mirrors we want to recreate) and just map 100% of that view.
    And when on track, when tweaking mirrors, we just rotate that already defined angles horizontally and vertically.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yeah... In short, mirrors should work like IRL ones.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I think this is very possible. I can't imagine needing more than like 128x128 (probably much less) for the mirrors even on a 1080 screen. Considering the size of the mirrors onscreen and the fact that you really don't need that high of resolution (like it is now). Size and aspect ratio could be defined by the mod-maker. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to set it up "physically" correct (based on main camera position and angle of the mirror)--so that if head motion is turned on, then the (mirror) cameras will move accordingly (seems to me to be a pretty easy algorithm, anyway). At least this could be an option in the graphics settings for "Mirrors: Max" (perhaps has a 1:1 ratio of render resolution vs. screen real estate), then you could have "High" be 1/2 (or less) resolution, but separate cameras, and current implementation could be "Medium", off could obviously be "Off").