GRAPHICS CHANGES and optimising rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Andrew F, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

Thanks guys I will be looking at that later after work.
    Was on server with 7 people yest and it was all good then 2 guys left and 2 other guys joined 7 people again and saddenly my fps started to drop and gpu was going 100% usage so weird. Yeah looks like some internet issues maybe. My internet was set to 90mbs up and down but I remember when I set in player jsn my real internet speed i was getting same issue

2. shiet

shiet Registered

Could someone tell me which graphics setting is responsible for the in-car digital dash resolution?
    No matter which official GT car I try the dash looks horrible with blurry and ugly looking characters.

3. Binny

Binny Guest

IMHO the problem lies with the sim out of the box, for a new user you should not have to go anywhere near the json file to get a great experience. Here lies the problem can anyone tell me any other sim right now that a new user is required to do this to get the best experience ?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Screenshot could be good, in case it's normal :D

I think texture detail would do it, maybe player detail also has an effect.

Binny likes this.
  5. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Its player detail. Texture detail is for the environment. The player detail controls texture size as well as lod model for player vehicle.
    Also, if your not using your monitors native resolution it will ruin your lcd display regardless of detail setting. i.e. running the game at 1080p on a 1440p monitor.
    Regards.

Binny likes this.
  6. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks. I managed to figure this out because I started to play around with the different graphics settings to gain more fps after I realized that Laguna Seca is an fps-hog.
    I have an even older/slower config than the op with an i5-2500K@4.4GHz and an RX470 4 GB and I managed to figure out the best settings and pretty "high" fps (60+) in almost all circumstances with a good looking game. The only exception is in rainy weather with multiple different car models around me at the start, then the fps drops to 30-40...
    Several things I noticed:
    Firstly if you run a single make grid you gonna have much more fps. With a field of multiple different car models (like GT3 or GTE) the fps is much lower.
    Secondly sometimes the fps changes randomly. For example when I load up a practice session I get 80 fps standing in the garage. Then I go back to the setup screen to change something and again back to the garage and the fps drops to 30 fps. Or vice versa. I don't know what's the cause. Previously I deleted the cbash and shaders files so it's not that.
    Sometimes when I start a race I get normal fps (70+) and then half an hour later do the same thing and get half of that fps.
    Most of the time I need to restart the session but sometimes to fix this I need to restart the game.
    So no idea what's the problem with this game but I suggest the op should try to restart session/game if he experiences big stutters and fps drops.
    Here are my settings, there are some things I'm not willing to give up like shadows, normal looking tree textures. On the other hand I don't care how my car looks because I can't see it. :D
    90fps.png

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

with only 4gb of video ram, you may be getting overflow that windows manages via a page swap.(hopelessly outdated term I think) When running multiple races, you might want to restart your computer.(power off) Then when you fire up rF2 again, you are asured the Vram is fully cleared out and ready for a new session. But even then, this IS rF2 we are talking about, it could very easily just be that random.