Graphical difference between "Development" and "Single Player" ...

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by CodeF1, Jun 24, 2012.

1. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Please see the two screen captures below. Why is there such a difference between "Development" (ModDev) and "Single Player"? ModDev looks actually better. I have done nothing other than creating a component (rfcmp) from ModDev.

ModDev:
    rF2-DevMode.jpg

Single Player:
    rF2-NormalMode.jpg

2. Banger

Banger Registered

because moddev has hdr on, single player doesn't yet

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

First and obvious question. Are all of the graphics/details settings EXACTLY the same for both modes?

4. ethone

ethone Registered

HDR?
    Time of day?

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well, seems you have HDR OFF for the devmode (is deactivated by default) and HDR ON for the single player mode..and actually the weather engine (sky, clouds, rain etc..) is not working for the devmode.

Another thing you've to check is the time of the day your're loading (DST time) as the DevMode do not auto-load the DST...so you can have the single player starting on a different time. (Eg: devmode test track starts at 8:30, singleplayer test track starts at 7:30)

6. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Well the two config.ini files are identical. Isn't the .gdb file controlling the time of day? I checked the Joesville sample and it seems similar in both modes...have me puzzled.

Another thing, look at the difference on the FOV - quite a difference.

BTW Tuttle I cannot seem to get the HDR setting on the Dev Menu as in your screenshot you had on VirtualIR - changed config.ini as you suggested.

7. Tuttle

Yep, to activate the HDR on DevMode you've to force it in the Config.ini.

The .gdb is still controlling the geographic area and the time of the day per session (test, qualifying, race)..but you've another parameter (the DST) that set up the Daylight Saving Time (DST range in the GDB).

About FOV and seating...remember you're working with two different .PLR (moddev and singleplayer) files and different per car settings (idem)...so if you're setting up your fov and/or seating position...you've to re-do the same for the single player mode.

I do not see shadows on your shots...so it's pretty difficult talking about times of the day..but for me it seems more a HDR on/off difference plus the DST offset.

EDIT: of course to activate the devmode HDR you've to edit the devmode Config.ini...:) and remember that everytime you change your resolution settings the config.ini will be reset to standard settings (HDR/PostFX off).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  8. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Nope checked everything again and everything is the same...the two config.ini files are identical, the resolution is the same. What is strange to me is that how different the mountains look...in dev mode is is clear but in singel player it is edgy and definitely closer to the driver (meaning a lot less of it fits onto the screen). This is a mystery for me... will try an repack the component again.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Do you have changes to graphical settings in your video card profiler (i.e. game-specific settings in nVidia Control Panel). Remember, they're two .exe's so they'll need to be set individually as well.

10. Tuttle

I'm still convinced those are HDR differences. The blue sky (warmest colours) with the white edge on alpha seems with HDR on (reading a profile or using the standard one)...and the other one (cold colours) with the brightest sky seems with HDR off.

Try turning off the HDR on singleplayer and force manually the same time of the day for the two different platforms...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  11. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

HDR off - white edge still there - the grass looks more like in DevMode (not as yellow) but the mountains stills seems closer. Will go over everything again after dinner.

Thanks for the input guys.

12. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Using ATI and nothing set specifically through the control panel.

BTW DevMde look similar as in rFactor1.

13. Tuttle

Nice...this is a little step in the right direction...:)

For the mountain texture check you're working with Circuit and Texture detail at FULL for both platforms.

For the different FOV/seat, force the same value for the cockpit view and delete the .CCH files for the same car you're loading for the test...files are into ..\rFactor2\ModDev\UserData\player and ..\rFactor2\UserData\player.

If nothing changes for the mountain textures try deleting your shaders (make a backup for security..) into ..\rFactor2\ModDev\UserData\Log and ..\rFactor2\UserData\Log.

When you re-start the game/track those shaders will be re-writed from scratch.

PS: of course I guess you're using the same coreshaders.mas for both platforms...as someone is using the old one for the devmode...:)

14. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

OK got it figured out - you were partially right about the HDR. I only changed it through the config.ini before and not in the game. The different colour scheme on the grass is a result of HDR being on or off. The wide edge is because of anti aliasing set to 3, in DevMode it was 0. I set it to 0 in Single Player mode and the white edge is gone, so have to work on the alpha channel (that makes me think that anti aliasing never worked in rF1).

The only difference still is the amount of mountain in the view. Both shots were taken when you start the session, without driving, just right there with the road cam. You are probably correct in your assumption of the view values. Will check that out now.

Using the same coreshaders.mas :)

Thanks for the help mate!

15. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Yep and it ALL DEPENDS on the CAR that you are using....unbelievable...in the rFactor Trainer there is a lot more mountain in the view than with the Formula ISI or the F2. I don't like that at all as those are the defaults for each car that I have not changed. The view should be similar (well at least as far as the back ground and other objects are concerned)...maybe a bug?

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

p.s. I prefer HDR off...there is still a lot of work to be done on HDR.

16. Tuttle

It's not a bug...it's the same since rF1. :)

Consider that each seat is loaded in a different position as every car have a different dimension...plus each car have its own seat position.

BTW...nice to see it's solved. :)

About the HDR...if you don't like it, don't use it for now. They're working hard on it.

17. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Probably not but think about it, the car stands in the same position, doesn't matter which car, a mountain in the distance should not take on different dimensions based on the height of a seat many miles away...your peripheral view should still be the same. Even 1 or 2 meters back or forward should still make no difference.

Anyway glad it made sense finally. ;)

18. Tuttle

Yeah! But remember we're talking about cameras, not human eyes. :)

You can have one camera with a 45FOV and another one with a 30FOV...etc etc

19. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

True.

Well if I need to solve the edges of the mountains so they do not show up as white edges with anti aliasing turned on...will probably just remove the "gradient" from the alpha channel.

20. Tuttle

Do not use smoothing/feather on alpha edges and try using chroma blend between 0 to 3.