Graphic stuttering issue in corners / rotation

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mike Cantwell, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi everyone,

Totally frustrated and tried searching but can not find my particular issue.

When driving in a straight line, any track, the frame rate etc is superb, silky smooth. Running 1440p.

But when going through a corner, particularly slower sharper corners, as the scene rotates about you there is a sideways juddering and it looks like the frame rate is 20fps, but is is still 100+.

Get through the corner and it is super smooth again. It used not do this but now is a normal thing in both the game and DEV mode. Any car, any track, only though corners as the scene rotates about you.

My PC is fairly decent, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3060ti, 32gb ram, all SSD discs etc etc.

No other game does it, only RF2.

Thanks in advance if someone knows of this too.

Mike

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

How big is your 1440p and what sort of FOV? You might find you'd notice the same effect on straights if you had triples and so had things moving relatively sideways on the side screens.

Are you running windowed mode, or fullscreen? Vsync on or off?

I'd speculate the only way to remove that effect is gsync/freesync, or run vsync / limited fps in line with your screen refresh rate. The latter will then tend to give you extra latency.

If you're in windowed mode you'll have auto vsync because of windows, and that will give some interesting timing effects if you're fluctuating around a multiple of your screen refresh rate.

I've experimented with various combinations of settings over time, but generally at some point I reset my config for whatever reason and then leave it on whatever is default, and if I pay attention I get a similar effect (windowed mode, 100-140fps on 60Hz triples). I can run vsync or limit the fps and get something nearly totally smooth, but knowing it can add to latency I invariably then check how much latency there is and decide to change back. Definitely some negatives to being cheap and not taking the gsync route, but then I've seen some people still struggling with the best settings there, so...

3. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

There is two settings which may help.
    (1). Set replays to record to memory in the player.json. It's in the Game Options section.
    "Record To Memory":true,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)"

(2). Switch OFF all vsync settings in game. Go to nvidia control panel in 3d settings for rf2 and set vsync to FAST. This setting is smooth with no latency. For this to work correctly your FPS must be higher than the refresh rate of your monitor.
    Another setting which can help is to set your max FPS to a PRIME Number higher than the refresh rate of your monitor in the player,json file, I have mine set 89-FPS. The idea is if there is any tearing it's never in the same place twice so is much less noticeable because a prime number is only divisible by it's self. I have found these settings to work really well for me and I have never ran out of memory when I had 16gigs installed. My largest replay I have is 1.3gig, I think it was a 25-lap race at Kyalami with 32 cars. Hope this is of help.

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Prime Numbers.....lol. That was like 40+ years ago.....whats the prime number of 144hz?

6. lagg

lagg Registered

davehenrie likes this.