GPX to 3DS Max?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Johannes Rojola, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

2. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Did you check what quality your GPX data have? Tools like Josm help to visualize how good the data is. My experience from OSM-Tracking is, that even at the best resolution and on a clear day the coordinates will jump to much to get a clear and straight path. On OpenStreetMap-tracking you just use it as an overlay and retrace it manually. Maybe this is what you want to to, but then I'm not sure if a spline is the right tool.

3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Thanks for the script , i wil try to fix the script.. and remove the animation

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

yeah in my experience GPS data is not really that useful, for much more than trying to verify the amount of elevation changes between certain points. You then have to redo the elevations yourself with the GPS data as a very rough guide.

5. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

unless you spend £00,000s on differential gps! ;-)

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Well, good to know so I won't bother with that stuff. Have to find other solutions :)

7. ethone

ethone Registered

If it still makes a difference, my experience with gps traces is that they're only useful for elevation data which is hard to quantify from photos or guess from videos otherwise. When I first played with GPS I was amazed by how inaccurate it was in practice. Naively I was expected a more constant error term but at one point it can have an error of -5m while at the next it has +3 which can quickly produce erratic traces.

It's better than nothing, but more for checking your elevations than anything else.

8. Alex Sawczuk

Attaining how accurate the data you have is key. If you think something is accurate and it isn't then you have a problem! Sometimes its easier to just use common sense and judge it based on your own eye sight in videos etc.

9. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

But Real data is better that trace a background image . no?
    And always manipulate the data before importing...

10. ethone

ethone Registered

There's real data of good quality and real data of bad quality. The GPS traces I've seen so far were far on the bad side.

11. Alex Sawczuk

A correctly mapped split up image from google earth is the most accurate x-y co-ordinates you'll get save for some expensive high quality data.

12. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

But the image must be in correct geographic scale and orientation in max.... what to do that??

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Easy enough, take a measurement from Google Earth and make sure it matches the scale in 3DS/other app.

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I haven't tried from Google Earth myself. I have used Google Maps, though. The nice things about Maps is that know that North is going to be up, you get a scale along with each image you screen capture, and I don't think you'll get any perspective distortions due to terrain. Plus, I think both Earth and Maps use the same image data, so you're not losing any resolution. It's super easy to stitch together--in Photoshop, just make your top layer blending mode as 'difference' and line it up 'till the overlapping pixels all go black, then change back to 'normal' blend mode.

15. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Know, that the flat images itself MAY have terrain distortions! They are hard to detect and barely recognisable on the images. The images taken are mostly from aereal photography from planes. On high towers and buildings you can see the pictures are taken from an angle and so high differences may account for distortions on the image.

Another tip is to checkout Bing Maps. They have different map material which could serve for validation and they even got isometric maps.

16. blakboks

blakboks Registered

True...but the same holds true for the textures Google Earth images as well (since they're one-in-the-same). With Google Maps or Bing, you at least don't get the distortions from the terrain itself, and the perspective of the 3D camera. With GMaps or Bing, you're only getting the distortion from the original photographs, with Google Earth, you're potentially getting three types of distortion. Although, it's arguable whether or not those distortions are significant.

17. Alex Sawczuk

you can disable the terrain mapping in GE, and your can render an image at a far higher resolution... if you have the right version.

18. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I find one way to import KML files to MAX

I go to this page www.zonums.com

upload kml and export to DXF file.

Then in MAX import DXF file.

Of course the kml altitudes are gone :-(

but is a start to me.