GPU FOR VR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluet, May 16, 2017.

1. bluet

bluet Registered

hi to all..i am considering update to my gpu from gtx1070 to gtx1080ti has anyone done this and do you get better FPS and less ASW kicking in ..this is for use in VR oculus cv1....also my cpu is 6700k oc to 4.4 ..:)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

1080ti is top of tree, you'll get better performance

i'm still on a i7 2600k because:

it's watercooled overclocked stable at 4.8ghz
    titles i use only utilise 1 to 2 cores & performance is good on these for duel core

if i were you just get more of an overclock on your 6900k & put in 1080ti

bluet likes this.
  3. bluet

bluet Registered

thanks for the reply Adrian my cpu is only air cooled so thats why 4.4 i do not want to overstress the cpu with to much heat ...my thought is to get the 1080ti but very expensive and if not a big improvement not sure i should upgrade .....as i want to lower the amount of times ASW kicks in and that is where i get some stuttering.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

go low settings , still looks brill in VR

a 1080ti will make a difference , bear in mind rfactor2 dx11 with vr is still in beta so performance will be off for a while too

bluet likes this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

The best performance/price GPU's are rated here. The performance/price ratio starts dropping a lot when you go higher than GTX 1070, that's why most buy the GTX 1070 for VR. But it's a bit difficult to say since rF2 is still being optimized, we don't know where it will end in terms of performance yet. Currently rF2 is way too heavy on FPS in VR compared to other games. So it all depends what performance you are looking for.

Emery and bluet like this.
  6. bluet

bluet Registered

Thank you for the reply.. what i would like is not so much ASW kicking in when that happens there is always some stutter and it seems rf2 is always going to asw ....maybe in time the devs will fix this as it is only beta ...all my other games dirt rally a/c re3... my 1070 is very good in VR and very little ASW..:)

7. Magus

Magus Registered

At the moment, with VR still in beta, if you would like to race a full grid, with some graphical detail (medium-high) & AA, then your best bet is to lock the game at 45fps ASW using the Oculus Tray Tool. This will give you the best gaming experience, without the stuttering and constant peaks and troughs of framerate, especially as all content seems to perform differently and when you get your settings right for one combination, it does not necessarily work for another. This is what I found anyway after days of tinkering with settings.

bluet likes this.
  8. The1Dijk

The1Dijk Registered

I agree with Magus. Ater a lot of tinkering locking ASW to always on in the Oculus debug tool fixed all the stuttering problems I had. I must say it runs very smooth at 45fps with no problems to latency or whatsoever. I'm running this on a meagre GTX970 and can even up the supersampling to 1.4 with medium textures no AA. It looks solid and much better than that, runs smooth.

bluet and MarcG like this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I may try locking ASW later, also on a GTX970 and most settings on high with 1.6 at Barbagallo with the civics.

The1Dijk and bluet like this.
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

In the upcoming months, both Nvidia and ATI should release new chipsets for their GPUs. While they appear to be intented to compete on the high performance market, this may drive prices of older products (actual products) down a bit. You may even decide to hold on a bit and see if these new cards will be fair game for your pockets. I think in the PC world, the old saying :"who spend more, spend less" is always actual: Better to update your PC for good every 4 or 5 years than make cheap updates yearly.

bluet likes this.
  11. bluet

bluet Registered

thank you to all who replied to this post...i think i will stay with my gtx1070 until rf2 is no longer in beta and will lock ASW to 45fps as MAGUS suggested...then decide if i will upgrade to a gtx1080ti;):):D

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Pablo11 and F1Aussie like this.
  12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Linus Torvalds thoughts about Nvidia.

:oops:

13. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Wait wait wait, a GTX 1070 can't handle 60 FPS in VR?! :eek:
    Is the GPU that i have in mind for my future Oculus/wichever VR set + rF2/next sims :(

bluet likes this.
  14. mike.m

mike.m Registered

For VR you need to have 90FPS, the 1070 will not be able to maintain that all the time, that's why the ASW kicks in at 45FPS (you will have the 90FPS in the head-set though). With further optimizations/lower settings it should be able to maintain the 90FPS.

bluet likes this.
  15. osyres

osyres Registered

it runs poorly on my system even with a 1080. And aa is off

16. Magus

Magus Registered

I took the 45fps lock off after today's performance update, and I think there is definitely an improvement. I kept all my settings the same; AAx1, PD1.6, AFx16, Track - Medium, Player/Opponent/Textures/Effects - High, Shadows-Low, Reflections/Rain/Soft Particle - Off and went to Indianapolis w/Dallara and although ASW kicked in at the back of the grid, it was not so jerky, but passing through the grandstand you really noticed the jerkiness. Overall a much smoother experience with ASW @ Auto. I 'm not sure I am ready to start fiddling with all my settings just yet to see if I can get a steady 90fps with this combo (as previously it was not possible even dropping everything right down to Low with no AA) just waiting in the hope that we will get better performance within the next couple of months, so I'm happy just to enjoy the racing locked at 45fps for now.

It would be nice if someone could confirm whether they think the performance has improved after today's update.

bluet likes this.
  17. whip

whip Registered

my 1070 runs most games more than fine, its cpu that bottlenecks in vr normally, even with a 6700k i get dropped to 45 asw while my gpu doesn't get 100% usage, a 1070 i plenty enough atm imo, you'll still drop to 45 as much as you do now if you got a 1080ti

bluet likes this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Keep AI's to a minimum
    (If you use them) these put an intensive load on the cpu

X6 is as far as I'll go

bluet likes this.
  19. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

20. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

I had 1080 card and i was not happy with performance with vr.
    Today i have got 1080 ti card and i jump in the game for a spin.
    I have noticed quiet an improvement but still at this stage at least for me my triple screen is still a lot beetter and smoother .
    My upcoming race is in laguna seca with gt3 cars so it might be the track that is not optimized. I am noticing a stutter even with the best card on the market.
    What i also notice my gpu usage is about 50% and cpu very low 12-18%. Im using I7 4790k
    Something is defenitelly not right.
    I still did not try iracing or asseto corsa because i dont have time. Rfactor is my favorite sim but still lots of issues.
    I was like you thinking if i should wait for next generation of cards but for now nobody knows the date of release so i decided to go for it. I mean vr is so demanding and going from 1080 to 1080ti is not a big jump but in this case every bit of performance count
    People always say wait for next generation and then wait for another generation lol

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    bluet likes this.