[REL] GP3 SERIES 2016/2017/2018 2.31

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Huge news.
    Curious to ask, have you managed to "secure" again some inside information to help you with the development of the new cars?
    Not to give too much value to that, one can produce a high quality mod either way as you've proven so many times in the past, it is though a great "selling tool" that tends to get people excited, bit like the laser scanned tracks ;)

bwana likes this.
  2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'd love to see some F3. The more categories the better.

3. Andrea Sammartino

Andrea Sammartino Registered

This morning i've deleted and reinstalled mod, but i've not find a fix to this problems:

Hard tyres are ok, their behavior is as real life: inner, middle and outer temps change when i work on camber setting.
    Medium and soft tyres aren't ok: inner, middle and outer temps change very little when i work on camber setting; inner is always too cold and outer is always too hot.

I've done this test on default setup. Any guys has noticed this issues?

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

There are several ways for developing a mod that can be closed to the real car, no doubt. The GP3 was the unique in the mods we developed where Chris spent months and months in entering thousands of real data into the spreadsheet of Borda and, time by time Borda improved the spreadsheet and Chris "moved" data into the new release (and it was something crazy, because there is no way to update the spreadsheet to a new one keeping data already entered...). In the meantime and after Mr.D and later also another engineer of another GP3 team validated all data into the spreadsheet and how they were converted to rF2, also with the feedback of few real drivers of the 2017 GP3 season. Some more driver tested the mod also in 2018.
    I think this is the best way to develop a mod, maybe it can be excessive for a game, but some driver uses rF2 + GP3 for training...
    Again I agree with you that is not mandatory, in fact the Palatov D4, for wish of Palatov himself that is an engineer and designer of all his cars, with also the patented suspension system of his cars, never considered a good way the use of the spreadsheet for some limitations in the code of rF2 exactly addressed to his chassis and suspensions, so he preferred to check directly data entered into the physics files of rF2 and, also with the help of his factory driver, to test the mod and asking for fixes. And also the D4 is a high quality mod for the physics, no doubt.
    About the F319, we need to look at the first true pack of official documentations, to have a clear scenario of the differences vs. the GP318: currently there are only info here and there of what Dallara and other involved entities discussed in Monza for the first time and later.
    Verba volant, scripta manent!
    And there will be also several changes into our reference team, so really, at the moment I have no idea if we'll jump into this new adventure.
    I'd add a lot of """"""""""" to selling tool for what regards us... I know selling is only a way of saying, but it has nothing to do with us!

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I think the most important thing to make a mod handle accurately is good telemetry data. From what I read, even if you put real and accurate car construction data, the mod will not necessarily handle close to the real car (especially at and over the limit). That's why real racing teams feedback(engineering and drivers' as it was in case of GP3) is invaluable to reduce guess work when tuning the mod. So in end there's still need to fudge/translate some values because of rF2's engine limitations.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    PLAYLIFE and Slow Motion like this.
  6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I really appreciate the effort and dedication you put into physics. I think it's unmatched when it comes to third party mods and perhaps only a few S397 cars like Norma LMP3 (because they also worked closely with teams and I like they way it behaves at the limit) have similar level of accuracy in therms of handling.
    That's why if there was option to donate I would certainly not hesitate to do it.

pkelly likes this.
  7. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

Me too!

8. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Very informative, thank you, and yeah, I agree with your points,but it's always nice to know/be reminded of some work that goes on in the background.
    For the record, the Palatov is the single most impressive thing I have driven in the past few months,the only car who's handling took me back to my karting days:)

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

And it is exactly what Mr. Palatov wanted to be the D4... he was very clear testing it and I can say "categorical". On our side, we were very lucky to be able to respect his wishes.
    I'm happy to read you experience this feeling driving the D4. Thank you.

pkelly, SRGP and Christos Segkounas like this.
  10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

No idea rules you followed for testing... because obviously data change very fast, depending of load, etc...
    I tested again at Jacksonville (just to have long straights at fast speed) and the results are exactly what must be: camber affects significantly the IN/OUT temp of tires. Due to the oval, left tires are more affected and, for what interest to us, right tires give accurate results.
    I tested all slick compounds and the main difference of Hard 2018 compound vs. 2018 Medium and Soft compounds depends of the "construction data", that are different between the Hard and the other 2 compounds because we got new data by the manufacturer specifically for Hard tires. 2018 Medium and Soft are same "construction" but different realtime sections, due to the different compounds.
    Previous tires (in use for 2016 and 2017 classes) have same construction data for the 3 compounds and only different realtime sections to match manufacturer data.
    That's all.

11. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Is it justified to assume the 2018 Hard tires' grip(and overall) should be the closest to real life, since you got detailed, confidential construction data from manufacturer? Or not necessarily, because all of them where then tuned based on real telemetry you got?
    BTW: from the telemetry data you got, is it possible to extract and analyze how tires behave at and over the limit (i.e. when loosing traction at a corner) and then compare with rf2's telemetry?

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

It seems the tire affair is beginning an endless novel, LOL
    There were only different times in the development of tires depending of data I received and for which tires. I'm not able to develop a tire by scratch, too much complex to me... so I forwarded time by time all data to Michael Borda and he developed the tires. All the rest were reporting feedback to him, to GP3 team(s), waiting for feedback back, etc... for several months... together a lot of other things...
    I think it happens every time when more than one people is involved into a development... so nothing of special, because in the end the mod is in use into rFactor2. Do not misunderstand me please! I know that rFactor2 is at a very very high level in the simulation, but it is always a game, something that should be experienced with a little carefree and relaxing pleasure: my personal opinion.

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

This seems like a lot of work, just to get tires behavior right. Don’t want to be too nosy, but I’m curious whether during this process Mr. D (or other engineer), was analyzing telemetry with over the limit car behavior ( I.e. when tires start to lose grip/traction or car starts sliding)? If yes was he able to detect and point issues or inaccuracies in the mod? I’m asking because from what I’ve read this is the hardest part to simulate accurately and tires’ grip is still considered “black art”. Yet it’s quite important, because racing drivers often push a car to the limit (and sometimes even are over the limit) , regardless if it’s in real life or in a sim.

14. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I don't know in details. What I know is that every time something was not expected the teams that use the mod emailed me, asking for fixes.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Got back to sim driving for the first time in quite awhile today , noticed the update download for the GP3 and Zandvort so that’s what l chose , fan frigging tastic ( Australian for really good : ) The balance on the edge is exactly as expected , every bit as good as any offical content ... congrats yet again

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I'm still posting here also for the Formula 3 2019, because everything could change about our plan...

...anyway Formula 1 organization planned "2019 FIA Formula 3 car launch" on Thursday Nov. 22nd at 18:30 in the Yas Marina paddock

After that data I'll update you. Thank you

acicog, Hazi, Magus and 10 others like this.
  17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Marco,

Since the mod GP3 is completed and finished, and you start another very similar mod (F3), I was wondering :

Do you upgrade the GP3 mod when there will be a new model of tire or when there will be a new technology in the physics engine ?

I would like it, but it would surely do a lot of work, and work without limit ......

18. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

I think the GP3 tires will be almost the same of the new F3 tires, so, any progress in tire physics will be used in the new project too, right?

19. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Yes, new f3, looking at pictures and unofficial info has same tires of GP3, but until official technical docs available and new tests, everything could change.

Of course the GP3 mod will be updated in case of any new feature rFactor2 will bring, like we do for any other mod of us.

makan, pkelly, Hazi and 9 others like this.
  20. gluon

gluon Registered

It's never enough to say thank you to this great modding team once again. I've been racing the GP3 series again after a while and the feeling is just amazing, everything is right, from the physics and FFB to the looks. This is professional grade work that makes me feel totally immersed in rF2 like if I were driving a real GP3.

Now I can't wait for the new F3 car!

Thank you @Slow Motion.

BlkJello, pkelly, DrivingFast and 2 others like this.