[REL] GP3 SERIES 2016/2017/2018 2.31

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

@PLAYLIFE = lucky man! Here are the answers:

1. How well does simulation correlate with real world testing (out of a score of 5)? What elements of the GP3 cars (tyres, chassis, aero, engine, etc) are the most difficult to simulate?
    In Dynamic way, it seems very good, but the sims for a drivers is always a sim and doesn´t give same feeling than a real car and needs to adapt his driving to the new situation, this, give us a difference behaviour on the real car comparing with sim.
    Worst part and more difficult is aero part and tyres. Mechanical part are “simple” but aero is difficult because the data that car builder gives you is not so accurate and needs to imagine some to made it accurate or spend money in a wind tunnel that is no allowed for the championship and needs a lot of money to get a good data. In tyres also the same, tyre builder gives you some data but not all, and you don´t have new tyres to test because Pirelli brings with him all tyres… so this two parts are the biggest difficult to translate them to the sim.

2. Do GP3 teams undertake tyre prediction modelling to attempt to learn the tyre characteristics (degradation, heat cycles, other parameters)?
    We try to do it, but for the leak of tyre data is very difficult.

3. What are the top 3 car setup parameters that have the most influence on lap-time (e.g., suspensions stiffness, wing angle, camber, etc.)?
    Depend of track needs to try to adapt the car to the track. Is not the same in Monza than Barcelona need to adapt the mechanical grip and aero grip…

4. How often do you run asymmetric setups (left to right) and are they substantial or only subtle?

Normally no, we don´t see too much differences.

5. And finally, who is the best GP3 driver you have seen in your time in the sport?!
    Difficult…. very difficult… in my personal opinion, Leclerc is a very good talented young driver, Palou is very completed and about professional ones the most completed ones are Hamilton and Alonso. But this is my personal opinion, for sure for another people are another drivers.

Well I would add despite we try to have more info about the "car setup parameters that have the most influence", eheheehh no way to have more info than what we had for the development! And the aero stuff lets me remember the several nights that Edwin spent on it to perform a great result!

Today Mr.D is testing with MoTeC the pack I sent with data captured running few laps at Silverstone and a MoTeC workspace made by PLAYLIFE, to see if he needs some change to read the data he needs... As soon as everything will be okay, I'll post the procedure to be followed by some volunteer.
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    bwana, NONAME475, PLAYLIFE and 10 others like this.
  2. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

Yes i do and thanks. I googled rF2 GP3 wing file name and got wrong thread. and did wonder what text was across the psd file :)
    Thanks works a treat now :)

Love the cars just about to do a mini series with them :)

3. Tech G

Tech G Registered

Hey guys, great mod and I am going to be starting a mini series using it this weekend. I was hoping to knock up a quick skin, but am having some trouble with the wing.dds. My naming convention is as follows:
    GP3_alt01.dds
    GP3_alt01wing.dds
    However, it is not combining these like it does with other cars I have done skins for. I also tried creating a mas file, but still it does not include the wing.
    Any suggestions?

4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Try putting the Red Bull on it...because you know...Red Bull gives you wing...
    (Sorry I couldn't resist)

5. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Yes mate, to read 3 posts above and to read what is written into the template of the 2017 wings as you open it! Please, do not offend, but...

Tech G likes this.
  6. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Hi Slow Motion, Big fan of your mod and I can't help but notice the incredible attention to detail with all the Helmet painting. If i could ask how you painted these helmets? I am having a bit of trouble myself trying to design a Helmet for rF2's new gen helmet. Its hard to see how your paint will look without having to load into the game and see your helmet at an awkward angle. Did you use a 3D model in a program similar to photoshop to paint these?

Thanks, Sam

7. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

Hey Tech
    I put the correct file naming in our forum for you :)

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Helmets were painted by Chris “Brack Jabham” and "Boxer", not me. Anyway the original rF2 helmet in effect is not a great job for some misalignment... but once you have understood and made some test, the result is very good, as you can see.
    The painters didn't use software like MARI for painting in 3d, only PS in 2d, testing helmets into the mod (devmode) to look at them very closed and any position. In DX11 a suggestion is to set PostFX to none in devmode, otherwise when you are closed to the target, you see it out of focus.

Chris and boxer, reading the post, in case will give you more technical info.

samcar304 likes this.
  9. boxer

boxer Registered

Keep in mind these helmets may take me a few hours to get to a level I'm satisfied with...
    Helmets are a bit more difficult than cars.

The main thing is getting good samples photos... i.e. Head on, overhead, and side views.
    super impose sample photos on your working helmet.

I many cases I just have to interpolate what I see on a photo which is often at an angle and try to imagine how it should look on a flat surface.

Often I create one test sample with multiple reference points using colored lines... so I can see how the surfaces relate to each other in the game 3d model... Preview in game and judge how much I need to move things... and how much correction I need to make... for cars I often number parts with the wireframe sample and look at in game to see where they belong to.

*** I run two screens, one I have rF2 in window mode and on the second the applications I need to paint. *** I replace the DDS files without quitting he game.

Here is a sample in game image.
    [​IMG]

Alex72, Magus, Slow Motion and 2 others like this.
  10. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

Without "Wireframe" it's better

11. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Wireframe helps to understand shape of helmet too. Boxer's helmets are much better than mine. I use the same ideas, and also have to hand make some unusual logos. I agree this is not quick. I spent 6 hours last weekend on one helmet (and I am still not happy)

Guimengo likes this.
  12. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

I wanted to say that if you use photoshop when you save the template you remove the eye of the wareframe, not to have the delimitations of the template inDDS

13. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Superb Slow Motion, please pass on my thanks to Mr D!

15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

We have sent first testing files with telemetry data to Mr.D, few laps at Silverstone, hard compounds... to be analyzed with specific MoTeC workspace (still WIP) and compared to real car in similar conditions.
    I resume the first things that need to be seen more in deep:
    • brake bias should be moved a little to the rear
    • different setting for brake blanking to help higher temperature
    • tyre pressure a little bit higher
    • something around dampers and bump rubbers...
    Of course now we need to go more in deep to see if we need some adjustment or only few clicks for the default setup... and testing again. Be tuned!

The scenario in my mind (if of interest for someone here), is not only to ask for your telemetry data but also with your preferred setup to be analyzed by Mr.D.
    Maybe my idea is excessive, I'm dreaming only, but why don't try?

16. bwana

bwana Registered

Ok PL , now when you get your motec info back shoot me your set please cheers mate :)

PLAYLIFE likes this.
  17. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Can the workspace be shared yet PL

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I have a personal generic workspace (non-GP3) that can be shared, although there are a few parameters and math channels that still need to be fixed. I haven't touched rF2 in some time so it needs some work before sending it on as.

bwana likes this.
  19. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

As PLAYLIFE said, the workspace needs some love to be finished and maybe later also Mr.D will do some changes for matching his specific needs referring to the GP3. Everything takes time, because you know, these people do it stealing moments to their free time.

Mr.D went back from Silverstone on last Monday night and on Tuesday looked at the MoTeC data of the mod emailing to me his observations, that I resumed here just yesterday!
    I, and I think the most of you, have a great opportunity to learn something more and this is the reason I ask you to be patient. Thank you.

20. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Thanks PL I put my hand up for a copy when you are done fixing it. Then you can come back on track.