Goodyear and rFactor close the gap between real and virtual racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

2. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Registered

Yeah that was one of my favorite updates this year. I was surprised it didn't get more people excited

TJones likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It actually got many excited, I think. But physics and softwares are a bit slept on overall in simracing, comparing to gear... I like gear too, but...

Simulation_Player and Emery like this.
  4. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

"Studio 397 has integrated further core developments such as heat transfer through the brakes."
    This is new isn't it ?
    good news , tyre physics are super important, great to see manufacturer support.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think I've seen this in any update notes. Not sure which is most likely: it's not actually in there yet, or we just aren't given any info on how to do it.

(If I've missed it, then it's on me)

6. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I haven't seen it either but could have missed it.
    If @vava74 hasn't seen it then it probably doesn't exist before now.

Perhaps @Paul Jeffrey could get clarification from @Domino Duhan

7. Stevy

Stevy Registered

The new tyres on the GTE and LMP2 (assuming they are the result of this) are really a step forward and are great to drive and feel really good.
    If we now get even more features (brake to heat, tyre damage, etc.) that's great to hear and I'm looking forward.
    Obviously it's hard to say "I can't wait for new or better tyres", because I think the perfect tyre doesn't exist in a sim (perhaps not even in real life)

8. Simulation_Player

i think that article gave away upcoming tyre model improvement , i too didn't see any official news on this.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You would think it would be one of those SHOUT IT TO THE HEAVENS type of announcements. Probably a key feature of one of the upcoming Q releases.

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Maybe it's something inherent to the improved tires since it's closely related to tire temps when breaking.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The existing improved tyres don't have any extra parameters. It's just their design that's improved.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

For years, Nascar has/had used fans to cool the brakes at tracks where the braking temps became excessive. Drivers also found a little more downforce on the nose as the fans evacuated the air from underneath the nose. If the tire is going to be prone to heat build up from the brakes, drivers may have to manage the brake inlets to reduce brake heat build-up. At some tracks getting top braking efficiency may become more difficult.

13. Simulation_Player

yep , that is what i assumed as well. something for 2023.

14. gianluca

gianluca Registered

To close the gap even more is also needed a $1.000.000 dynamic professional driving simulator, with a team of engineers to assist you, in a room big as a football field.
    But Goodyear and S397 don't tell this, otherwise would be a killjoy for Average Joe. ;)

I drop here an interesting article about racing simulators. It's just the single article, not the full magazine. If it's not allowed, download it, read it and then ask me to delete it.
    Also, have a look at the pics and see if you spot what sim they are using. Of course they use in-house developed software for their simulators, but they could also use a commercial software for the graphic engine, heavily modified.
    The FE team maybe is training in a RF2 FE track.

Attached Files:

davehenrie likes this.