Goodwood Track

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, May 23, 2015.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'm just starting to look through information and tutorials. It looks a bit complicated to me at the moment, especially as I run Blender and not 3Ds max, so I can not promise anything as I don't understand the possibilities at the moment. But I would like to get it to rF2, maybe also my Jaguar XJ13 someday.

Legend, Nitrometh, Emery and 4 others like this.
  2. Legend

Legend Registered

interesting project
    i wish it could be successful

an ac onboard lap of this great track:

3. philrob

philrob Registered

I worked on the original RF1 conversion of this with MFX and after reading this thread decided to rework it for RF2.
    So far all textures DX11/Albedo( they needed it) redrawn lots of other textures, fixed normals and other errors.Replaced some TSOs.
    So far it drives great, very fast.

Alex72, Tucker Fleming, Mauro and 7 others like this.
  4. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Is the one in AC based on your version or vise versa? Or are they two different models? I had thought that the AC version used a Lidar base

Mauro likes this.
  5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

@philrob said he's re-working the RF1 conversion. The AC version is much newer.

Mauro likes this.
  6. philrob

philrob Registered

The 1st AC one was based on the RF1 version i believe.
    PRcSteve said:
    "Its a standard rf1 conversion, i dont believe its very good and real road isnt there unfortunately :-("

7. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Ahh got ya. I would LOVE to see that newer version make its way rF2. But that original one would tide me over till that one makes it.

Alex72 and Mauro like this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I spend my free time mostly just enjoying rF2 right now, damn it is good. Yet have to study how rF2 models should be made... how the objects has to be named, and organised, how normals works, what shaders to use, and texturing, mapping... then wet road - absolutely a must... Also have to switch from bunch of Kunos textures to my own, or rF2 textures. Plus have to replace some objects which belong to Kunos.... I need time and motivation for that, so far both are consumed mostly by enjoying rF2 lol Also Gjed seems not be available by now, though I know that older one is possible to use, and I have tested it briefly opened my FBX model file with absolutely no changes to it, didn't get far from there :D

9. Emery

Emery Registered

10. philrob

philrob Registered

A little update on the RF1 conversion of Goodwood, work continues RealRoad implemented now.But still early days for those old track. It looks good for a GPL conversion.

pascom, jayarrbee36, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So I finally got to drive it in game, basically just terrain and tarmac, but at least I finally got something to work into dev mode, it gives me some confidence about going forward :)

However I still have long way to get comfortable and find the proper workflow. It is not easier when I am working with blender, though it seems that @Traveller blender addon works well, but I'm still lost there. Then gJed doesn't seem to be really working well, I suppose thats why it is not included in official files now, hopefully Studio 397 will release an updated properly working version. I had to edit .scn file manually to get into track (instances for some reason were in capital leters unlike actual object names, searchpaths were wrong, common.mas was not pointed). Also I had to add XXXXXXPLACEHOLDER.JPG (diffuse, normal, specular) to Assets/maps, even though I had assigned to my own placeholder textures, perhaps it had to do something with the fact that I had to save them to 32 ARGB later, as I got warning that those particular textures CANNOT be DXtn....

Then the last annoying thing is that when devmode crash, you get stuck and can't get out easily, I have found a way how to get around that... but it does not always work, so it is a bit annoying to do OS restarts.

But... but.... it is such a joy to finally get to have something of my own in game, it was really fun to do some laps around with Skip barber, even though it all looks like something from hell lol, still was really fun to try to go faster every lap.

I would love not to only convert, but also improve this track. To do that I would like to get really comfortable, and confident with modding to rF2, so it could be done efficiently and with good results.

Fanapryde, Emery, Mauro and 4 others like this.
  12. philrob

philrob Registered

mantasisg,
    Really great news that you have it running in game.Look forward to seeing it in the future.

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

OMG Yes! :) I get Croft vibes from Goodwood, and i love Croft because of the speed and high speed corners.

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Beginning is there, right now just converting model, trying to figure out how to do everything but already learned quita a bit. Plenty of things are bad now, some are more, some are less. I think I'll have to open a thread, because I need help with various issues, I hope to receive some help.

Here is some proof. Doesn't look as good as real time. https://imgur.com/a/igcyxlh

[​IMG]

15. Legend

Legend Registered

for be a first approach to rF2's modding, very promising screens :)

thanks for your work mantasisg, much appreciated!

Alex72, mantasisg and Mauro like this.