Good news! Shadow flickering seems to be gone

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Johannes Rojola, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Infamous shadow and light flickering that was problematic in large rF1 tracks, seems to be gone via rF2.

I just made a 40km test track (just one straight) and drove 30-40km from origo, until I ran out of fuel. There was no shadow flickering like we've used to see in rF1. The cockpit shaking however was apparent like in rF1, but thats not so much of an issue. And you really notice it only when stopped.

Now that I learned to make tracks with 3DS Max, it is time for other stupid tests!

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

This is great news for those that love long tracks. Try if you can import any of ready tracks and if it would be any means humane way to change material settings in those, you could then take testing to bit further by importing some of my BTB made experiments that are hundreds of kilometers long, would be interesting to know where limit is. Or maybe it is easier to just put some 250km of more or less straight track and see if that does anything else than crashes.

3. Johannes Rojola

At this point it seems that converting track from rF1 is way too much manual labor, so such 200km test track is fastest to make in Max :) Actually, I could do it now.. Lol, I think I need to edit bigger fuel tank to my car...

4. Johannes Rojola

EDIT: 50km behind, still going strong. Chevy '55 with 250 litre fuel tank :D

EDIT2: 100km, no problems. No shadow flickering, car shaking gets worse thou.
    (argh, road ends at 110km something, I forgot to build more of it)

Seems like there is not much limits with rF2, I am not sure thou how to implement AIW for such massive stretches of road.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Nice test!

Do you have plan to make point-to-point rally stages? ;)

6. Johannes Rojola

Oh yes sure, I have tons of ideas :D

7. Hompe

Hompe Registered

Very nice to hear Rojola :)