Good monitor for rf2?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by TIG_green, Apr 12, 2014.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I would settle for the "gaming" monitors that won't have the greatest colours and image but the best performance (especially for sims).

Basically you should want the following (regarding pure competitive sim-racing performance):

- Lowest input lag (you need to look for well trusted websites for input lag tests, it's not something manufacturers list on specs)

- Highest refresh rate (120 hz or 144 Hz)

- Quickest pixel response time

- Lightboost capable (or any other sort of stroboscopic mode)

If 24" isn't too small for you then I would get the ASUS VG248QE or the BenQ XL2411T. They are pretty much almost the same monitor (I believe same panel and mostly the same internals).

For pure competitive performance I don't believe anything has surpassed these two monitors yet especially in anything at, or more than, 24 inches. Others are close like the BenQ XL2420T and some other models from them and other manufacturers, but I believe that the ASUS VG248QE and BenQ XL2411T are still at the very, very top of the list in terms of pure competitive performance.

The ASUS VG248QE should be lower priced than the BenQ XL2411T for North Americans, but I believe it's the other way around for Europeans.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks for the tips. Those are a bit pricy...

Is this any good? http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/30269/dkgtk/Asus-VS278Q-27-LED-LCD-naytto#product-description

If I would get a monitor with 120hz or 144hz should I get that much fps out of my sim too? Atm with my current setting I get about 90 with better quality tracks and I wouldn't like to reduce my settings that much.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not sure about that specific monitor, havent researched it.

Regarding the fps; while 90 fps is obviously no as good as 120 or 144, you will still notice an improvement in visual fluidity if you are coming from a 60 hz monitor even if you were playing at 90 fps on that 60 hz monitor. The 60 hz monitor only allowed you to see/visually feel up to 60 fps even if you were playing at 90 fps, whereas the 120/144 hz monitor will allow you to see/visually feel improvements in fps all the way up until 120/144 fps. So basically if you keep your fps at 90, but transition to a 120/144 monitor you will see/visually feel a nice improvement of 30 fps, whereas on your previous 60 hz monitor you may have had the game itself running at 90 fps but you would still only have been able to see/visually feel 60 fps.

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I see there are many things to consider...

So if I get lets say 90 fps and my monitor would be 144hz would I experience (input) lag because of that?

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

No you may experience tearing, but not input lag I wouldn't have thought. You can run a 144hz at 90hz if you want anyway if tearing was an issue. Just saying go 144hz now you will appreciate it if you upgrade your gfx card or even if rF2 became more optimized and you can get 150fps. That 90hz monitor might seem a bit sad then. You want at least 120hz and 2ms or less response time. Faster the better.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks for advices guys :)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Which 90 Hz monitor are you referring to? I don't see a 90 Hz model.

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered