Good driver card configuration for rF with my card

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by MaD_King, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Hi all, I don't found a subject on this so I explain my situation.

I changed since some week of graphic card from a 8800 GTX 640 to a 460 1 Go (the 8800 GTX is dead after 3 years :( )

I didn't notice big change in the performances (some FPS more but not really more).

I recently switch on Windows 7 and I have a drop of about 50% of FPS (70 FPS instead of 120 FPS).

I tried to check some changes in the drivers panel, but nothing really significant to give back to me the lost FPS.

So I will have the configuration of some in the nVidia driver panel for a 460 1Go (or equivalent) on Windows 7 64 bits with 4Go of RAM.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Install the latest drivers from nvidia.com
    Disable AntiAliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, and vertical sync!

rerun rfconfig.exe

add +fullproc to your rfactor.exe shortcut.

3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

The last version is installed, and what you indicate is already in place ;)
    Disabling the AntiAliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, you are serious with a card like the 460 on rFactor ???? I had more FPS with my 8800 GTX with same options.

Thanks for your help, but this is not what I wait for answer :(

4. mikeward

mikeward Registered

what cpu do you have i run a 460 with a 2500k and it never goes below 300 fps with all setting on max and 4 aa

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Core2Duo 6600

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Wow, hold on... if your PC is OK, then there is no way that it can be that slow in rF. There for sure MUST be something wrong. We will get to that :)

So, first of all - you have C2D E6600, which is a dual core CPU with 4MB of L2 cache @ 2,4GHz. Not much nowadays, besides the fact that i3/i5 platform is faster when comparing them with the same clocks, but that should be enough to provide good fps levels.
    What motherboard do you have and how much system RAM?
    Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z. We will need them.

You have GTX 460 1GB. Under load, it should goes not less than 675/1350MHz on GPU (core/shaders) and 900MHz on memory (effectivelly 1800MHz).

Check in CPU-Z, is your processor under stress (whatever... you can just launch rF in window mode and look at CPU frequency) going 2400MHz? You have stock settings, which means 9x266MHz (Cpu multiplier x FSB)?

Under motherboard tab in CPU-Z check, if your PCI-Express slot is working at x16 mode. You can also check that on the main GPU-Z tab, like here:
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/img/data/nnews/2010/16767/Image/gtx460.gif

Windows 7 is 32 or 64bit? That should not matter... but it's good to know where we at :)

From my experience, jump from XP to Windows 7 (in my case from 32bit XP to 64bit Win 7) should provide significant boost in fps, especially in minimum fps (it was like from 35 to 55fps on my GTX275 in one of my tests with 39AI cars).

Another important information - on what resolution you are racing in rFactor?

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thanks I will investigate with software you indicate.
    For the details on my configuration, 4Go of RAM, Windows 7 64bits, my resolution 1680x1050 (22" screen).