Global Lap Time Database / Live Timing

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Something like RSR Live Timing for Assetto Corsa. We need this. Surely it would be very easy to implement.

Louis likes this.
  2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

In theory,but how is the dynamics policed, no 2 laps can be the same in rf2 because of the real road.

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Agree 100% with OP and the easier and more visible it is the better because people will not use it otherwise. Needs to be integrated into everything, including UI, forum, website home page, website content page, everything. For example, next to my avatar would be my global ranking and how many world records I have. On content page where I download mods there should be a link to world records for all tracks for this car. Needs to be front and center all over the rF2 UI...basically in your face all the time. There are side benefits too like what are most popular tracks, cars, combos and this week/month/year vs last week/month/year vs all time etc etc etc

Shame all this potential data and friend/rival opportunities goes to waste.

Oh yeah also you could identify friends who share same interests and have head to head metrics and also discover that they are in same time zone for online racing or even recruit drivers to leagues based on interests etc etc etc

Data WANTS to be shared and so often sharing results in new value etc etc

I'll stop there. Sorry I had some time on my hands because I am riding the bus ATM. Dangerous :p

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

So? How is that different from real life?

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's just the thing though, RF2 has that problem covered.

RFactor 2 allows for a static RealRoad as-well as time of day, weather/temp/humidity/wind (I dont even think humidity and wind are modelled), and even tyre wear and damage if you want to go that far.

Furthermore, RF2 allows for different RealRoad presets to be used/selected rather than always having to start from a "green" RR (RealRoad) preset.

Finally, RF2 allows for a custom RealRoad of your liking to be saved and then used as the RR preset thus giving ultimate freedom and customizabilty to the RR presets.

From a physics standpoint, rFactor 2 has everything covered for a completely fair and even lapping/hotlap competition.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  6. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Y'all are thinking too much lol. There is no "static" or preset groove or weather conditions in real life, yet they have lap rankings at every circuit in the world. Sure the conditions might favor one lap attempt over another, but that's just how it is. Nothing is ever completely fair.

Now if someone really wanted to cheat, they would modify the grip levels in the TDF file. Policing that is what could get complicated. However, that could be solved by storing the default grip levels / tire files of every ISI and 3rd party track and car supported in their server, and comparing the values while loading the track/car in the game. Problem solved.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Completely different in reallife, Pearcy.

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

How exactly?

9. Emery

Emery Registered

@Spinelli - Pearce is right. rF2 variable conditions are no different than real life, including whether race session or private qualifying or the amount of traffic present is real life. If you're approaching it as a gamer, then you're automatically going to say it isn't fair, yet fair doesn't exist in the real world.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not the same in real life. Can't compare the two.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Stop boiling the ocean and just start with a reference database that is automatically populated with lap times. Hell, Log Analyzer already has this but only for CPM cars at select tracks. If ISI would just make it happen and SIMPLY and NOT egos but just sharing would be great start and learn from it and improve over time.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I did't see your reply, I only saw Emery's...

Because in real life you don't have any option of showing up at a track, pressing a magic button which puts 30 other cars on track, then pressing another button which accelerates time, and voila, after 10 or 20 real-time minutes you have a super heavy rubbered-in track. Also, in real-life, you don't often show up at a track which is extremely "green" and in a constant state of such massive changes of grip. Usually, those tracks have had other cars drive them minutes before you, hours, days, etc. In real-life, it's rare that someone will show up to a track-day and have the track completely "green" - like at the first practice session of the Monaco grand prix -while another person may show up to the track on another track-day where that same track is now very heavily rubbered-in like Monaco during the final third of the race. It's very rare to see such massive differences on most tracks. I worked and raced (along with some instructing of students/customers towards the end) at a track for a year, and trust me, you don't show up at the track one day and you're lapping 5 seconds slower and then another day you're lapping 5 seconds faster. On the cold mornings when first arriving at the track and the weather was -10 degreees (10 degrees below zero) during the night, yes, you'll be a little slower for the first 20 minute session as the cars are getting fully up to temp and the track is cold and "sleeping". After that first 20 minute session though, you're pretty much on it the next, if not fully on it.

13. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

So what your saying is....it's even LESS fair in real life? What's your point?

I'm not saying rF2 is EXACTLY like real life. All I'm saying is that differing conditions affecting lap times isn't unrealistic, and shouldn't be considerd "unfair" because it can't be helped. It's just part of racing.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No you completely misunderstood my post. I edited it since your reply, maybe it'll make more sense now. Also, re-read the last sentence of my original non-edited post (the one you quoted).

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Ok. That's not my point anyway. My original point was that if there is ever a live timing system implemented, there is no need to police the track conditions. Sorry.

16. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

http://www.liveracers.com/

17. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

18. cosimo

cosimo Registered

There was this idea of using the DeltaBest plugin to achieve this, making it automatically send lap times by car class and track to rF2. gplrank.info or other database/website. Not sure how I feel about that.

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis :)

20. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

David Kolody likes this.