gJED and the what the future will bring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's no doubt about it, the new gJED tool has caused quite a stir in the community, I'm no modder myself but from reading others interpretations it simply makes the whole process of converting mods that much quicker and maybe easier as well.
    ISI threw down the gauntlet by showing what they can do in a few hours with Sardian Heights & the Kodi, then proclaiming on Facebook in relation to a news story about 10 Years since rF1 was release: "Think rF2 is about to hit its growth curve? We do. ;) ".

I agree with them, I can see a shift in Content numbers that has already started recently in my eyes with various Mods & Tracks being released recently, so with gJED the future looks very bright indeed. It seems we could be about to enter a new era for RF2, an era that brings in more mods & tracks (not that we have enough already!) that are converted up to RF2 standards, think of some of those long lost forgotten gems in rFactor1...and then this is where my head began to roll....and I asked myself "What mod would I want first?!".

What with the vast amount of top quality rF1 content created by (you) the modders of yesterday (some of which are still around and have already said they're looking into gJED and RF2), I went to RFC and had a look at the all time classics I spent many hours in and one Mod in particular stood out like a Renault Clio on the starting grid of an F1 race:

UKDirts F1 Stockcars - Short Oval Racing at its best! The fun I had in these (a long with the other variants of Short Oval Racing in the Hot Rods, Mini stocks, Saloon Cars etc) was immense! Growing up watching the real life counterparts only fuelled my love for this mod and when RF2 was announced I longed for the day these would be ported over. But alas that day never came (unless I missed it) so now with a deep breath I hope...no wait plead with the UKDirt boys to see fit to at least take a look at RF2 and the possibilities which lay before them. Not to forget the tracks that are befitting to these mods of course, Cowdenbeath & Ipswich to name just two of the dozens of Short Oval tracks available.

[​IMG]

So what's your hope for a future conversion? Racking your brain trying to remember? just take a gander here and just dream of what may come to RF2: https://www.rfactorcentral.com/hall_of_fame.cfm?cat=Cars

The Future's Bright...The Future's Coming!

2. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Just a comment about this, because I made the exercise without gJED, and there is lot of things to do in addition of rF1 standard to get a descent content in rF2.

So, gJED will help to adjust graphical aspect in less time than now with only ModDev, but there are features to add to get an acceptable quality for a rF2 mod and it's an effort and creation, not only convert.

I just hope the modders ("converters") will take time to make the things complete, and not "just convert", because it will deserve rF2.

If you look at the Kodi ZR, it's the example of a direct conversion (in term of graphic) and there is missing many specific features to match with rF2 standard !!!
    For me the Kodi ZR result is the example to no follow (in term of graphic) :)

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

As a track modder myself who works with a rF1 creation tool (btb)+3dsimed what I miss the most is the possibility to to do proper UV mapping.

I hope they implement this with the time.

A proper AIW editor would also be highly appreciated. Devmode should only be used for driving path creation anx testing.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  4. gkz

gkz Registered

There is not one good physic convert in rf 2 yet. So as long as rfactor 1 cars can get the physics like kodi zr i would not care about graphic anymore :D they said they done this in few ours.... And the track is biggest step.
    Because there is no track which has converted from rfactor 1 to rfactor 2 which is and feels so good like there track does.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Kodi is made retro - style (in term of graphics) on purpose, celebrate rFactor 10 years anniversary. ;)

gJED is excellent tool and it (hopefully) brings more talented modders to this platform, as they are not tied to single 3D modelling application anymore.

To produce quality content requires as much skills as before gJED. Bad model or texture does not look good in game, even if you can finetune material settings on the fly with gJED.

Good conversion requires lots of work, sometimes even more than building same thing from scratch. Straight port from platform to another never leads great end result.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I think it would be nice if the community could improve kodi graphical quality using GJED.

7. Butters

Butters Registered

I could be wrong but pretty sure a lot of the British content was actually created by UKSOM. They are mod ding community and UKDirt is racing community. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

..and therein lies the wolf in the room, people doing quick conversions just to get their favourite content into RF2 without properly bringing said content up to RF2 standards, its already happened long before gJED and will happen again. That's just the nature of the modding game I guess, there's also those that do it for a quick bit of praise but never intend to actually bring it up to standards in the first place. Unfortunately sifting the good from the bad is an ever present process when downloading and trying out new content, lets just hope some of the more respected modders from rF1 do it properly for RF2.

yes that rings a bell you could well be right, it's been a long time so I'd forgotten :)

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

z. B b. BBC. .very.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

wha?

11. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

That was the mobile in my pocket lol

12. dradecki

dradecki Registered

With the Canadian track being released, I wonder if they could come up with a tutorial on the process they went through to do this. That would help me to better understand the process.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Don't get us wrong, you still need to learn, put the time in, ignore your family, etc, but the fat this takes away the need to have a specific version of 3DS Max is huge all by itself. :)

There's a conversion guide from rf1 to rf2 in the modding forum, not sure how much of that has changed. The idea really is that the GOOD rF1 mods should be possible to get into rF2 and look OK pretty darn quick.

14. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I just hope, this tool will be used for right purposes and not for provoke laziness and cut the corners, which will probably happen anyway. I mean, i'm not calling any modder lazy, this will be unrespectful and simply wrong from any point of view. Just wish they will use it for ground work, for speed up process, but at the same time still take time to do most visual things from scratch. If not at firts release then at least in future ones.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

This is NOT a conversion tool as such, so won't promote more "1-click converts".

16. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Hope so.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

But why ? You can simply choose to not use that content then. It's kinda like getting upset to find that there's also books about flowers in the library because you like to read about cars... :)

18. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1

19. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Yes you right i can and i will, but i am fan who wish ISI team all the best. But when come to wider audience, they judge product as a whole. So when come potentially quick conversions into those mass of available content, they will look at it as equal part as it is scratch made content. I know, you know, ISI kow, they are wrong with that kind of thinking, but those wider audioence is still big factor and important fresh meat, if ISI want to make next step in popularity. Probably i'm overreacting here, but only because i care.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Question is, why does it matter to you what others think of rFactor 2? It is you that is driving it... not them ;)