[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I've actually thought about this but as it stands I wouldn't be sure how to organize it to fit the requirements of a kickstarter. We are talking possibly a unlicensed version of a real world track as would likely be the case of those tracks mentioned since licensing for some of those could get expensive, so legality could get a bit strange for the kickstarter plus it would likely have to be organized around one specific track since I don't think its really possible to do a kickstarter for just the project as a whole with no real product named. I'm open to hear any ideas on how you think something like this could best be handled for the investors and myself and meet legal requirements.

2. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Thank you kindly, and may I share your vid on my facebook page? Showcases things really well, only things catches my eye is a some flickering trees at turn 2 that bug my but that is ok, I tried to make sure none of the trees did that but its hard to snag them all when working with billboard trees.

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

You might not even need to go to kickstarter; you could have a gentlemans agreement saying "hey, I can do track X but need 10 investors at $xx dollars" to start and see if that works? Maybe offer weekly beta builds until the track is finished to the 'investors' as a reward/incentive to buy in?

4. matf1

matf1 Registered

Absolutely, I'd be flattered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i also ok with there not being a kickstarter...if a pre-order would help getting it completed id be happy to go that way if its a reasonable cost.

and i agree you could also do tiers where if someone preorders for x+ amount they get access to alpha/beta builds, however you might want to do it.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Spoke too soon. There are still some texture flashes on the pit building and area in the early morning light. The window frames and sills on the main pit building look like they don't have any texture...just plain white digital blocks. Would making them look like wood solve this problem?

7. Justy

Justy Registered

I noticed wet reflections are sometimes "drawn in" the trees in the surrounding area being the main offender. I think this is a draw distance thing and might actually be an rF2 problem, but I did notice the reflection of the big control tower in the pitlane was flashing a lot, regardless of how close you are to it.

8. Panigale

Panigale Banned

There is a slight flicker on turn 2 as mentioned in a post above. There is also a tree line that is clipped (upper right corner), that can only be seen with the track cam following the car around the track. It is only at one point of the track. I'd like to see those two items get resolved in a future update but not by any means a deal breaker or a must have. The turn 2 flicker would be nice to fix because we can see that while driving although you have to really be looking for it. :)

There are a lot more oddities at Sebring although that track has a lot more going on and it was upgraded from rF1.

Personally I haven't seen the pit building issue, even at 7pm. I have everything maxed and FXAA enabled in Nvidia control panel along with in-game. I'll pay more attention next go but minor issue if it isn't seen on track.

@James, via your website away from kickstarter may make more sense. That would get you some seed money. Sit down with a cold beer and get creative with the tiers and what folks get for their contribution. Users are missing out on a great track with Gingerman but I have little doubt that a known track would sell much better.

Start with a poll for the next track and what someone would invest for it so you have the best luck in terms of track selection and how tier slots should be setup. e.g. If two people say they'd support track xyz at $100, then you know to create at least two top tier slots at $100 and work down from there.

URD has BMWs that are called something else so I wouldn't worry about a minor name change. As long as the track is accurate as possible.

I read today that Miller Motorsports is to be shuttered for good in a few months. At least there would be no license issues on that one.

9. yusupov

yusupov Registered

very good suggestions. and heck with URD, even ISI does not use real track names most of the time :) doesnt have crap to do w/ their accuracy & i never see anyone here complaining that we dont have the actual licensed name (thank god..). unless you can buy data or something from them i would just as well have it be called [Real Life Location Circuit/Course w/e] as ISI does.

10. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

There is actually some oddities I've noticed going on with rain reflections in the new RF2 build as a whole, the car reflections for all tracks for me don't reflect in the right position, the kind render above the car and this goes for any moveable objects, cones and such as well reflect strange. Some objects that use to reflect don't anymore despite being setup correctly and having reflected right in my first build, and even installing my last build they don't reflect correctly anymore. I've seen the car reflection bug on other tracks including ISI tracks so its an in engine bug right now and it may be affecting other reflections as well but I don't know what to look for on other tracks to know if they are or are not rendering right as I didn't make those. Reflection pop in is just a thing of the system, its saving some performance by clipping like that, I get pop in on reflections on basically every track, places like Poznan included. I personally don't see any flicking with the building reflections and they do overall seem to be working right as are the tree reflections but I am unsure how much the current build reflection bugs could be affecting things as a whole so it could get better in the next build.

Only thing that bothers me is that little clip with those trees at turn 2, I could have fixed those but they only flicker much in cockpit and I tend to use hood, I cleaned it up in the main trees near the paddock but missed those in turn 2 as I didn't think they were doing it as much but I have seen it some in cockpit, its kind of a billboard tree thing. I like to locate the trees based on satellite imagery so they sit in real locations but with billboard trees the close ones can cross over into each other thus leading to them fighting for real estate so I basically have to do some fudging to stop it. I also extended the track cam clipping distance to stop those tree walls from clipping like they did in the last build, but there does seem to be one spot at the right angle where the side of one tree walls wants to clip out a bit. Being the only one testing the track its small things like this that can slip through, hopefully neither of these are too much of a bother.

Everyone should keep in mind though to make sure you have xparency aa turned on, its usually on by default in the game but if you've changed your player fight to turn it off I can definitely say the track looks a lot better with it on. Without it the trees have harder edges and the fences and tall grass will dissappear at a distance due to how chroma works with mip maps, xpanency aa counters these and makes chroma look like alpha transparency and is really almost as good.

The windows on the building as far as I can tell in the photos I have are just white, maybe they are white metal or something but all I could tell was they are white so that is all they are. Any flickering you notice is most likely aliasing because the walls behind them have been cut out so they can't z-fight against what is behind them because there isn't anything there. So basically aliasing around the edges is most likely the culprit and aa really only alters it and can sometimes make it look a little worse. If there is any zfighting its just the edges fighting but they are cut spot on so there isn't anything I can do there other than create an unnatural gap beside the edges that you would be able to see close up. Personally for me with my setting I only get a little shimmer around the edges where the white contrast against the blue.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, you have described it perfectly--shimmering. Sorry if my clumsy writing made it sound like the old z-fighting issue was still there. I use SSAA, though, so I can't do any more from my side! If the window sills are while metal, I would still suggest applying some sort of texture to them so they aren't "digital white." Background of the sign is the same issue. These are not deal breakers, but if you are going to tweak a bit more, may as well make the most prominent buildings as good as they can be (and I am surmising this suggestion is not a huge time commitment). Unlike some other assets, we see these 100% of the time we leave the pits and on every single lap of a race they are prominent.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Is this free yet?

13. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

LOL :p

14. call-911

call-911 Registered

I can't see it ever being released for free unless he abandons his business model for any of the tracks he does in the future. If he did release it for free, then nobody would buy any of his future tracks with the thought of them also eventually being released for free. Just pony up the $5 or whatever it is for the track. It's well worth it!

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, skip the next latte and get this track instead. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Not worth it to me as I already have more quality tracks than I have time. That said, there's always an opportunity for a free track to bump another off my short list...

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One group (F1Ligue?) released their F1 mod free 2 months after the initial paid release of $1 or $2. When they released it they announced it that way but people paid for the benefit of earlier access. They reportedly made around $9000.
    Gingerman of course has nowhere near the interest of F1, and it is also a track instead of a full car pack (however poor it may have been).

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yeah this track's been out for a long time. Much has been released since and at the time combo-binging A.D.D. types would buy anything. Things have changed since...

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

20. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Wow man, you are really making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...