GFX-Settings for RF2 trees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nitrometh, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Hi guys! I just drove some laps at LRP and noticed that some of the trees are semi-transparent. When coming closer to them they become more and more "visible".
    My settings ingame are all at max/on. (GTX680)
    "Transparency AA" is set TRUE in player file.
    What settings do you use in rF2 or the NVidia control center to get the best looking trees?
    Cheers, Nitro ;)

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Hi, ISI recommended to use default Nvidia settings. I reckon transparent trees were a result of some Nvidia AA setting.

3. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thanks. Will try it.

4. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

If you set your settings in nVidia control panel(I always do) you should get rid of that. Here is what I recommend.

In rF2 settings, take off AA and FXAA and SYNC
    Go to nVidia settings, choose 3d settings, choose by programme, find rF2.exe set AA mode to override all, Set aa transperancy to 2x supersampling or higher, set AA to 4x or higher. Depending on your card. 680 might not handle higher.
    Remember to also set Vsync in nVidia if you wanna use that(scroll to bottom)

This should get rid of transparent trees in tracks like Croft, Poznan and the likes.

Nitrometh likes this.
  5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Turned settings in nvidia controller off and reinstalled rf2. Still have some transparent trees on Isi tracks. They are just transparent from far away....Maybe billboard trees?

6. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Set AA to Level 3 then the trees shouldn't be transparant anymore

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thank you Flex. I'll try this asap. Cheers;)

8. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Tried it ans yes that fixed to trees. But with aa level 3 rf2 looks a bit like Blackman. Seems to be a compromise. Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

9. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

Thats why I said you could use nVidia settings AA instead. That just works better than in game AA.

10. Smurth

Smurth Registered

I guess it's not exactly the same. Game look nicer with the game AA level 4

11. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I'm using nvidia settings now. When I turn down in-game aa to 3 and go back after driving some laps, it shows aa is off. I'll try ingame aa set to 4. But setting now looks good and transparent trees are gone.
    But why are the trees transparent when turning in-game aa to 8 and nvidia settings are standard?

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

This depends on the track. Older tracks have transparent trees sometimes. (Croft, poznan, putnampark)

If you have 8 AA levels. Set it on level 6.

Newer gtx9xx and up have 4 AA levels. They use level 3 to avoid transparent trees. ;)

Nitrometh likes this.
  13. sman

sman Registered

what in general is the best set in Nvidia configuration all to settings as came with the card and do AA and all other things inside the game leave Vsync off if iam correct
    ?? GTX 1070 i have

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have all max in game but 4k and 4x sparse grid and 8x multi sampling in nVidia inspector with v_sync on adaptive , pretty well locked to 60fps with occasional stutter off the line.

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

The only way i get smooth FPS is with VSYNC=OFF in rF2 and using adaptive VSYNC in control panel. It varies for everyone though. Best would be without VSYNC all together due to the more noticeable input lag, but with "maximum pre-rendered frames" = 1 you combat a lot of the input lag to the point you barely notice it. Works for all sim's usually.

I see trees now that go from invisible to visible on 1 track so far. Never saw it before with the same settings so no idea what changed. Using AA=4 in rF2.