Getting your track into rF2

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by ethone, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

So, I'm trying to get my four year old version of Fuji into rF2 now and ran into the first problem that I however managed to solve on my own. I'll just share so we can collect all the info we can on the process and unnamed errors.

I copied all the Joeville files and edited the gdb, scn etc. for Fuji.
    I loaded the basic objects of the track in 3ds max and exported them using the new plugins.
    I tried loading the track in dev mode... and it crashed with the generic windows error message.

The new plugins did not reset all my materials to the default or T1 stage however, it left almost all of them like I had them set for rF1 - mostly Bump Specular Map T1s. I manually reset all the materials to T1 and found one that had been reset to Default but had exported fine before. Fixed that one, reassigned the texture to it and the track now loads fine.

2. blanes

blanes Registered

very nice Ethone ... love Fuji ... nice curves and fast lines, look forward to it ! :)

3. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Registered

? where are new plugins

4. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

rF2 folder > Support > Tools > Plugins.

5. Kevin Frazier

Kevin Frazier Registered

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You can still use whatever shaders you want that comes with gMotor materials. T1 is available for rF2 indeed.

7. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's a result of using the importer script not the new exporter. If you Have to import your track because you don't have the original max file, you will have to go through and redo most shaders.

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Yes that what I experienced last night as well. All shaders that are supposed to be T1, are now Cube Map T1. Obviously you don't want all materials to have cube, so its quite a task to change to by hand... Oh well.

9. MonSum

MonSum Member

thank you for the tip, ethone - i run in exactly this problem with my first try. as i have around 180 to 200 T1 materials it was a big job for me to reasign all the texture maps. but now the mip-bias, animations and so on are not set - so i still have a lot of work for this left. it will be great when the tools get fixed in that way (but not 100% important as you only do that for some of the rf1 tracks one time).

the good things is that the aiw and the cams from rf1 are working. they have to be rebuild, but it's good to have a kind of base as the viewer is not released this time. i only have to modify the scn by erasing the "sky" and make the "skyboxi" as they is in Joesville. i also have to modify the one line with the "FogDensity" and lower it dramaticly.

i also copy and rename the ".wet" file from Joesville and for the first time the "xxxIcon.dds".

then the track loads up :D

as i only test the new tools (it's not the target to have a track for rf2 as soon as i can) i now have a base to make some experiments. two things that are a bit more work comes in my mind:

the hdr mode makes all the "specular" or "bump" materials more shine - normal t1 not. so the contrast in the moment is too mutch and i have to correct that in the material by modify the important t1 textures.

the real road is major important for me. but as i learned for that the road mesh has to be in a higher poly condition, right? because i builded roads in the "oldschool" way (one poly in the width, high poly count in corners, low on straights) this has to be modified... ...but in which way? 4 or 6 or 8 polys in the width? any tip here will be very welcome :)

10. ethone

ethone Registered

I actually wanted to get my first track converted to rF2 quickly but now with the slight delay of the beta a pesky vacation has gotten in the way. ;)

As for the road polys: Yeah, more is going to be better in the sense that it will give you more precise RealRoad grip changes. I haven't tested it yet but I think even with just one poly in width you should be able to get the graphical effects I believe.
    On Fuji I have polys four wide. I can't test it before next sunday of next week though.

It is not just road poly count though. If you want to use texture blending on the grass and hills, they need to be higher poly as well as blending is controlled through vertex painting if I read the track technology pdf right.

11. MonSum

MonSum Member

thank you one time more for the infos. so i will set up some RealRoad material and try it with my one poly wide road. i will post if it works. when it don't works i still can do a kind of "cutting" later.

12. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

13. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Indeed, the track surface will need more polys for RealRoad. I think the ISI tracks typically use something between 1.5-2.5m wide polys. Poly length can be larger than that though, especially on the straights. Typically, you'll want something between 2-4m² per poly at the apex of a corner, where subtle grip changes DO make a difference.

14. Kevin Frazier

Kevin Frazier Registered

got every thing changed tracks in and working ,but every things kinda blurred out zoom out track looks better but signs are blurry grass is to . Any thoughts on what to change in max to get a clean looking track or is it from using the developer that makes it look this way. thanks for any help . thanks for the t1 settings she was shiny with the other settings lol .

15. ethone

ethone Registered

The development mode uses a different set of settings than the single player mode. Did you increase the texture size/track detail etc. settings in the development mode as well? Their standard setting is just medium, which made my track look quite blurry too until I noticed I had to change the setting in the dev mode as well.

16. Kevin Frazier

Kevin Frazier Registered

thanks ethone that made a big dif looks allot better.

17. MonSum

MonSum Member

it works very good with the higher poly count. thank you for the tip! it's a bit work but it's great to see the result :cool:.