Getting started with rF2 car mods

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Slimjim, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

I hope this will be the place for some answers we all will have in the next few months,
    when we all start getting are feet wet with rF2 mods..

my 1st question will be tire deformation.
    is this in the game code.?
    will all you need to do it set the size and width of the tire in the tire file.?

next will be driver animation,
    will the driver be shifting and using the pedals as in GTR2, or something a bit different.?
    and can you change types of tires in the garage this time.?
    say wet tires to dry, or hard to soft compound with proper texture changes for that tire.?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

One of the questions I would like to know is in regards to the driver body and pit crew animations.

For the driver arm animations, how many frames is the entire animation and where are the peaks? For example -32 = hands complete left, 0 = center, +32 = hands complete right. If we could get that info, we can start making our driver arm animations.

Also in regards to what slimjim asked. Will there be animation for gear shifting and if so, will it be required to be a separate animation or just separate frames within the same animation scene of which you just code the frame sectors you want to load in some file like the .gen?

Pit crew animation and frame amount would be nice to know too.

One of the major things also is...in modern day F1 where teams and drivers can have different steering wheels, is it possible to make separate animations for each driver or differing steering wheel? How will having so many individual animations work with the FPS? Has anything to this sort been tested?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not to criticise too much... but wouldn't it be better to wait for the beta and see what the existing documentation says? Most of this stuff might already be answered.

I mean, sure, it would be great to get a head-start I suppose... but unless we're going to go through a period of "I did it first!" low quality mods I don't think 10 days will make all that much difference (slightly optimistic estimate, but what the heck lol).

4. pablocorsico

pablocorsico Registered

una pregunta?
    La estructura de cada auto de rf2 seria igual a la estructura de rf1

ejemplo: la estructura del gen, el daƱo, etc

google traslate

a question?
    The structure of RF2 each car would be equal to the structure of RF1

example, gene structure, damage, etc.

5. Stefan Lemke

Stefan Lemke Registered

cmon guys wait for the beta and the docu...if there is no answer...then u cann ask here...every time the same...

6. pablocorsico

pablocorsico Registered

ok ok

pero entiende que todos preguntamos porque queremos exprimir lo mejor de este game

google traslate no too good sorry
    ok ok
    but understands that all wonder why we squeeze the best of this game

or

but understands
    that
    all ask
    because we want to squeeze the best of this game

7. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

I think a rough over of what is going to be involved with the tire deformation would be a plus even before the beta. Because if it's going to involve the modeling process that's going to be a lot of work for modders. But either way the beta will tell us most of what we need to know.

8. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

from what i have seen rF2 has 2 tire files now.
    your normal .tcb file as was in rF1, for setting the tire physics and grip/slip angles,
    and a 2nd .tgm file that may have to do with tire flex, grip on wet, or marbles, or race grove lines.
    also track temps, and a bunch of other tire related stuff, not sure if these values will be used on every mod,
    or each mod will have it's own set of values, better described as a tire.tdf file,
    that's the best i can make of it until we get the beta to test.

9. Jan_83

Jan_83 Registered

Will there be seperated models for car and cockpit as in rfactor?
    Can we build cockpits/steeringwheels with high details, like the one below?
    View attachment 359

10. FerniFan

FerniFan Registered

Is it possible to see lighting LEDs not attached to the steering wheel from outside of the cockpit?

11. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

it looks like the use the high poly main carbody as the cockpit, so no separate cockpit mesh needed for rF2
    not sure why.. looks like it would help improve FPS a bit.?

12. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

This might explain why I get stuttering in cockpit view but not in the Bonnet cam... perhaps?

13. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

This definitively can cause performance issues, im sure it was done that way just to save time or it was the way the modders did it.

14. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

why would you want to render a full carbody when you only can see what is in front of you.?

and i haven't dug deep into the files yet, but it looks like the steering wheel and arms are 1
    as you can't remove the arms and leave the wheel only.. you remove the wheel, and the arms are removed also..you should have 2 options.. remove arms.. and remove wheel..
    some F1 cars will need to have the wheel there for the rpm lights.. but no need to have arms.
    as of now, i'm not impressed with the arm animation, if they do not shift, why have them.?
    plus every bit of process power i can save is a good thing.. so no wheel in my view.