Getting new Vid card for rf2!

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Nico Barclay, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Nico Barclay

Nico Barclay Registered

Hello there!

New here, not to rfactor but to rfactor2 and this is my frist post!

I need some advice or opinions of the choice for vid card i made, if anyone has better or proven records for vid cards around $500 would take em into consideration, i know there are a lot of topics with ppl in my situation so plz bare with me ;) .

I made the call to upgrade parts of the pc. So far to get the card i need to upgrade case, power unit and some coolers. since im upgrading all of that i was recomended a mid price but high performance card (i wouldnt know), my friends recomended me the NVIDIA GTX970 ASUS STRIX GDDR5 4GB ( http://www.asus.com/mx/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/overview/ )
    My biggest fear is to invest and not get my moneys worth. Id like to know if the card would run me the sim in High to Full video settings in a smooth manner. or if someone could point me into similar working or failsafe options for the buck (no 1000$ cards plz)

My current specs are these wich run rf2 at 40-60 fps (in the lowest settings) and in full around 4-10 fps
    Motherboard: AMD 990FX(AM3+)
    Processor: AMD FC 8150 8 core 3.61Ghz
    Ram: 16GB
    Vid Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570 512MB-2GB DDR3
    Win 7 64bit

Any advice would be very much apretiated!
    Thank you in advance, cheers!

Nico

2. RJames

RJames Registered

You will certainly notice a massive jump in FPS and stability with a 970 - Tim recently uploaded a video showing his upgrade to a 970 GPU

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  3. Nico Barclay

Nico Barclay Registered

4. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I have that very card, I get well over 60 fps @ 3440 x 1440 resolution, also my card is limited by PCI-E 2.0 @ 8x. I see your mb is also PCI-E 2.0 but if you stick to one card you will/should be 2.0 x16

Do you have to change the case because of card length? I think there are shorter versions of the 970, theres even a mini version. http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/77801-asus-reveals-geforce-gtx-970-directcu-mini/

Also I havnt looked up the specs but id be comfortable saying your AMD Radeon HD 6570 512MB-2GB DDR3 would use at least as much power as a 970 (edit: for your card a 400w ps is recommended, 450w recommended for the 970)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  5. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Did you linky wrong?

6. RJames

RJames Registered

Opps yep seems i did.. Now fixed.

7. Nico Barclay

Nico Barclay Registered

thanks for the replies, im gunning for that one then. is the 970 from MSI as good as the ASUS? here is a bit cheaper. thx

as for the case, yeah im going for a "roomier" case for heat purposes, mine is a standard crappy one. going for a mid tower with a 750W power unit

8. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

The msi is good too yes.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Gigabyte windforce is as good as either of those and priced similar too MSi

Gigabyte does away with fancy packaging and extras.

10. Nico Barclay

Nico Barclay Registered

Well i managed to build the pc! thx for the advice, and it looks amazing although i have some doubts

I read that vsync or antialising has to be off in game but enabled in the driver options? is that true? everything looks fine,

For the system i have wich setting has to be in game? GPU, cpu, software / Fxaa enabled or disabled (dont know what does that even mean)
    -shadows have some "zigzags"
    -Also, with HDR on, game looks bright not too much, but a bit weird, has like a haze or if the sun is too bright. Forum is huge, maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/ramonymax/GRAB_006_zps7985d50f.jpg

tyvm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  11. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

If your going to seriously overclock it I have noticed the top 20+ on 3dmark are all msi, if you want the best cooler and still overclocking potential and a single 8 pin power supply the asus is ace.